• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gun shy dog cure!

Started by nastygunz, July 24, 2008, 12:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

My buddy is a duck hunter and said his black lab is gun shy so I told him id be over this weekend with some duct tape and a pair of Walker Game Ears.........BRILLIANT!!............. :eyebrow: :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

that should be on a Red Green show! :doh2:

cb223

Someone once told me, when you you bring the dog food fire a round off then repeat as necessary. When they get hungry enough the gun shots won't bother em. I don't know if it really worked but he swears by it, said it worked for him.
CHAD

Huntinbull

I have had good luck breaking a couple dogs of being gun shy. I generally get a friend to help. Take the dog to a field where you are allowed to shoot. Have your buddy go across the field, i usually start at 200-300 yards with a .22 with CB longs or super collibri shells. Have a pocket full of treats ready and kneel down or sit down by the dog. hold the leash and pet the dog as your friend fires a round. calm the dog and give it a treat. Once the dog relaxs again repeat the process. When the dog no longer gets upset with the quiet rounds go to regular .2 rounds. Only do this a short while at a time. if the dog does not calm down during the long pauses between shots, just stop and try again another day. Soon the dog will realize that the shots don't bother you and they wont bother the dog anymore. Be gentle and patient.

Huntinbull
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.

Bopeye

I never had any luck with completely breaking a gun shy dog. They're temperment and mental stability always remained in question and they usually reverted back to their shyness to certain degrees.

I never could stand it, so my only known cure is a bullet to the noggin. Breaks them everytime.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Buddy of mine had a Black lab he was working for pheasant hunting.

One day some kid came to pick up some hay that his Dad had bought. He was standing outside the truck watching the skidsteer load his trailer as Max (the blacklab) sniffed his pants.

Max got what he wanted which was a few head rubs and shortly after wondered off to lay in the shade somewhere.

The kid musta got board, or had a brain fart or something, he decides to light a pack of firecrackers and throw them out across the gravel lot.

Max like any other Black lab, just LOVES to play fetch and he caught what just took place out of the corner of his eye, jumped to his feet, timed it's landing, and was there to meet it upon it's decent. :sad:

That poor dog never made another hunting trip again. The mere sight of a rifle sends him deep into hiding.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Quote from: cb223 on July 24, 2008, 08:36:35 PM
Someone once told me, when you you bring the dog food fire a round off then repeat as necessary. When they get hungry enough the gun shots won't bother em. I don't know if it really worked but he swears by it, said it worked for him.

The only problem that I can see with this is that when you go hunting and shoot you are going to have a heavily salivating dog.    :wink:   Just think of Pavlov. 

Jerry

Wolfwoman

Quote from: Bopeye on August 12, 2009, 07:56:58 PM
I never had any luck with completely breaking a gun shy dog. They're temperment and mental stability always remained in question and they usually reverted back to their shyness to certain degrees.

I never could stand it, so my only known cure is a bullet to the noggin. Breaks them everytime.

You would shoot a dog because it was gun shy?
If it can be made from fur I can make it!!

Send me a fur and I will made you a hat or mitts for $50

lilman

mines not gun shy he'll jump up and try to bite the barrel  :confused:
lilman the bass slayer

Mallardsr

I would like to 2nd James. His response is the only treatment I've ever seen work!

holtswhitetailtaxidermy

Ive got a lab myself and ive been shootin guns around her since she was a pup. She doesnt pay any attention to it now. If you have friends that have dogs that arent gun shy you might wanna get those dogs around your lab and when they see that the other dogs arent affraid then maybe it wont pay any attention to the gun fire. Good luck

CCP

.22 while dog tied or holding the leash is even better, after each shot pet the dog and settle him. 3 one hour sessions, by the 3rd session all should be good. If not then follow James (Bopeye) recommendation unless you want to keep it as just a family pet, then pat it on the head and get another dog.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

hunter724

raised beagles and coonhounds for years...a friends grandson shot one of my beagles in behind a bunny...just peppered her and she went gun shy....a old timer told me to put a radio in her box ...it took about 2 weeks maybe 3 she was back in there.....dont think she went deaf...maybe...but it worked....lol...

but if you do work her with a gun...have another dog there thats not shy and use good dog treats after every shot or throw a ball....soon as you shoot...but having another dog there sure helps...

securpro

I realize this is an old topic but I just found this info tonight , but maybe this will help in the future... :biggrin:

http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/preparing-gun-dog-gunfire/
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FinsnFur

Cool article for training.
Did it mention anything about curing...I didnt get it all read.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bopeye

Quote from: Wolfwoman on October 06, 2009, 11:45:51 PM
Quote from: Bopeye on August 12, 2009, 07:56:58 PM

You would shoot a dog because it was gun shy?

I don't know. Would you make a hat out of some critters hide?
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

slagmaker

My grandpa shot a dog for begging at the table. He hated a begging dog. Me, I just give a begging dog a hot peppe,r like as hot as I can find handy. they never beg from me again
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Quote from: slagmaker on December 06, 2011, 09:23:59 PM
My grandpa shot a dog for begging at the table.

LOL, that seems a little extreme :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 07, 2011, 05:56:32 AM
Quote from: slagmaker on December 06, 2011, 09:23:59 PM
My grandpa shot a dog for begging at the table.

LOL, that seems a little extreme :laf:

Yeah we all thought so to. But his house his rules. He hated a begging dog.

Gun shy he could cure with a little time and patience but a begging dog was worthless to him. Freaking old german. Women were supposed to be in the kitchen cooking or in the bedroom a making boy babies. The man was old school from the old country.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.