• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bear lard for pie crust

Started by Okanagan, September 02, 2021, 12:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Rendered pure bear lard makes the best pie crusts IMO, and a lot of folks agree.  It is fabulous pastry shortening.  I am running low on bear lard, hoping somebody will kill a fat bear and let me render some lard from the fat. This is prime pie season:  apples just coming on, blueberries still loaded, peaches coming on, plums of several kinds, etc.   

My grandsons have killed two bears so far this season, which opened August 1, but neither had enough fat to bother with.  Both were youngish bears, probably putting more energy into growing than building up fat.  Both were tasty, one very tender, the other fairly tough.  Both were taken near timberline in sub-alpine patches of wild huckleberries.  Huckleberries/blueberries and corn fields seem to produce the tastiest bears.

I’ve got the word out to several hunters in our area.  Maybe should try to shoot one myself but my creaky old bod is not keen on all that entails. 

nastygunz

Ever try coon fat?  They are like mini bears  :biggrin:

Coyotes-R-Us

Nope , no way. Bear grease is also good for wagon wheels. But I'll stick with Lucas Oil Red "N" Tacky Grease, :naughty:
old is the new young

FinsnFur

Blueberry pie ...my oh my. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

The one and only bear I killed up in Canada many years ago, I rendered the fat and used the lard for popcorn.  Pretty tasty.  If I ever get another one (doubtful since there are no bears close to where I live) I'll have to remember to try it in pie crust.