• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Grandson Riley's elk - pics added

Started by Okanagan, November 12, 2014, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Riley phoned a few minutes ago to tell me his elk story as they drove into a town with cell phone coverage.  They had packed meat all day and were driving home in the dark.

He and his Dad had split up to glass for elk from different vantage points early on Tuesday the 11th.  Riley's Dad saw one cow through a hole in timber and they decided to go check it out since it was in an area where they knew elk bed.  Down the side of the canyon they jumped a herd and Riley's Dad missed a shot at a 4 point bull as it moved through a hole in brush.  They spent an hour and a half looking for sign of a hit and the bullet was likely deflected.

They tracked the herd, cold but no snow, and Riley killed it nearly four hours later, across the bottom, part way up the other side and way farther along the canyon side.  Just under half a mile from an abandoned road, extremely steep up, and then another mile of packing on the un-driveable road.   900 feet elevation gain.

You could hear the grin in his voice as he told his tale.

Hawks Feather

Great news!  The trip out doesn't sound like much fun, but if you just downed an elk it might be better.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Now thats determination.
...and youthful legs :laf:
Kudos to the lad :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Congrats to Riley!!!  :highclap:
Sounds like a fun time and a lot of hard work.  How old is Riley? and is this his first bull?

Okanagan

Quote from: Dave on November 13, 2014, 06:27:32 AM
Congrats to Riley!!!  :highclap:
Sounds like a fun time and a lot of hard work.  How old is Riley? and is this his first bull?

Riley is 13 and yes, this is his first elk.  He has been in on others with his Dad and is probably more experienced at hunting Roosevelt elk in the wet country than the average hunter. 

Where they came out on the driveable road was five miles from where their rig was parked, though it was shorter straight across country through the canyon.   He missed a day of school and didn't get back in time for basketball practice but he said this was more fun.  He's getting straight A's and made three buzzer beater game winner baskets last year so I don't think they will drop him.   :biggrin:  Dissecting an elk and packing it made for good biology and P.E. and he learned more on the elk than he would have one day in school, (says Grampa)!

coyote101

That's great!  :yoyo: Congratulations to Riley.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Congratulations to Riley & his Dad on a great hunt!!

That poor game up there don't have a chance with your Family chasing it!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Hamer, I've got ten grandchildren, seven of them boys, and one of the girls has a pink .22.  :wink:

Never thought about it but it is putting a (small) dent in the critter population. 

You are gracious to let me inflict grankid stories. :nono:

HaMeR

Grandkid stories are great Ok!! Just keep bringing them!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

My oldest Grandson has a Henry 22LR in the safe here & I think next Summer he will get to take his 1st shots with it. I need to pick up a couple more of those little beauties for the other 2 Grandsons & one of my Granddaughters has shown a keen interest,, & eye,, with a pellet rifle lately. I sure hope they get bit too!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

code

Cool side story. The bull Riley shot is believed to be one of the Bulls I almost killed with my bow in September. They both had exactly the same antler frame. I just didn't get a clear shot. GREAT JOB RILEY!
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

bambam

Okanagan

Riely and his Dad with the bull.

Remington SS Mountain rifle in 30-06 with 3-9 Leupold scope.

Dave

That looks incredibly steep.  Can't imagine the work it took to pack that out.

Okanagan

I'm beginning to think they don't know how to hunt level ground!   :biggrin:  Looks like that bull rolled down against the log or would have kept going down.  Imagining the work  to pack it out is enough for me.

Roosevelt elk have bigger bodies than Rocky Mountain elk, sometimes much bigger, but they have smaller antlers.

FinsnFur

Very nice! I cant even imagine packing that out of the woods.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Nice elk and story.  Riley and Code need to go into the elk guiding business. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

Kudos to Riley and his dad on a job well done.  A lot of good eating on that big rascal.  :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FOsteology

Congrats to the young man and his father. Bet that was "fun" to pack out!

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Okanagan

Quote from: code on November 14, 2014, 07:29:52 PM
Cool side story. The bull Riley shot is believed to be one of the Bulls I almost killed with my bow in September. They both had exactly the same antler frame. I just didn't get a clear shot. GREAT JOB RILEY!

That was mighty decent of you, Code, to leave that one for your younger cousin.   :highclap: :huh:

Is that the that bull you and Uncle D ran into in the creek, when you backed off to let the bull Elvis settle down a bit?

Gotta add:  that is an exceptionally pretty hide on Riley's bull IMO.  He looks sleek, fat and healthy.