• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What's it coming to?

Started by Dave, May 31, 2013, 07:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

My son's school is having their field day today - Maroon Vs Gold.  He was telling me that at the end of the day, after all have competed in various events, they pick the winner out of a hat!  :doh2:
What the …? 

"They pick the winner out of a hat?" I asked.

"Yeah, they just make up numbers as they go and then pick the winner from a hat after it's all over."

Not sure who thinks this crap up, but what a bunch of liberal wimps that come up with this stuff.  Big deal if some kids are more athletic or physically developed than others.  I don't see the same group giving all the kids A's, so the ones that get lower grades don't get their feelings hurt. 

Am I off on this?   

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Does the drawing decide the "winner" of the field day or do they have a drawing at the end of the field day and give a prize to the "winner" whose name is drawn?  The reason I ask, if there are two teams they would only need two numbers and not need any others.  If it would be a drawing for someone to get a prize (NOT based on the field day individual events)  {That could be read as the kids go have fun at their field day and then there is a drawing to highlight the end of school - two separate events held at the end of school} I don't see a problem with it.  If it is a way to make everything equal (as a result of athletic events) then it doesn't sound good to me.  If the drawing is to select the outstanding field day athlete, do they also have a drawing for the "best student" of the year?

Jerry

Dave

They draw either Maroon or Gold and then that team wins the Field Day.  In years past each team would accumulate points throughout the day with winning different events and the last event would be the tug of war worth probably 3x's the points of the other events.  Whatever team had the most points at the end of the day wins.  No big deal - everyone goes home having fun throughout the day. 
I guess my problem is, with my kids recently going through youth sports, is that they give medals and trophies out to anyone that signs up (at least in this area).  If you come in last place, without going to practices and missing games/not trying to improve, etc, "here's your trophy, you're a winner!!!" 

By the way, I think I would like to be one of the winners in the turkey contest because I really wanted to get out there and get one - a real big one, too.   :biggrin:

Dave

Great news - Dante's team won!!!  :sleep:

FinsnFur

Yep thats the new and improved system :iroll:
They do it for prom king and queen too now, apparently to keep that from turning into a popularity contest.
I always thought it was suppose to be the popular ones that go that. I mean really who wants that kid that sets by himself at lunch everyday, lives on the chess team and never speaks to a soul,  to be the prom king?  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

They do the same thing in the younger leagues of sports around here. No score kept both teams are winners.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.