• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

ear problem in a black lab

Started by bigben, November 19, 2010, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

My black lab just came over to me and I started rubbing his head and he let out a yipe like I hurt him.  I got to looking for a tore ear or some cut and found what looks like a bunch of gunk in his ear.  he is an outside dog and I have no clue what it is.  any suggestions before taking him to the vet?  I can prob get a pic of it as well.  looks like a ear infection but I have no clue what it is.  doesnt seem to stink like it is infection but it is all through the inside of his ear and what appears to be down inside the inner ear as well.  any help is appreciated thanks ben smyser
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Yotehntr

Probably ear mites Ben.  I usually to to the "Co-op" or "TSC"  and get some drops for their ears a few drops a couple times a day will clear 'em right up.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

pitw

Quote from: Yotehntr on November 19, 2010, 04:04:45 PM
  I usually to to the "Co-op" 

You got Co-op stores down there :shock2:.  It's the backbone of Saskatchewan. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

weedwalker

Besides ear mites, you might want to check if he's got a bur or something way down in there.

FinsnFur

I dont think "gunk" would mean mites. But I might be wrong.
My Golden Retriever had a real bad case of this, and the vet said it was a type of yeast infection caused by the ears not getting enough air to them and unable to dry.

Labs and goldens have ears that hang over themselves and are prone to this.

I spent many of days cleaning the dogs ears out every night with cleanser, drops, 10 inch Q tips, and finally some medication. Only to keep under control, it never really went away.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 19, 2010, 08:52:30 PM
I spent many of days cleaning the dogs ears out every night with cleanser, drops, 10 inch Q tips, and finally some medication. Only to keep under control, it never really went away.

:shrug:  Maybe if you'd have used the drops it would've gone away?...  :laf:   The times my dogs had the mites it looked like the dogs ears were full of wax.   :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

This was more of a brown snot looking substance. I guess only Ben knows at this point if it's snotty or waxy LOL
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Todd Rahm

My lab gets it every year if I don't keep the inside of his ears dry after he has been playing in the rain or water. Its just an ear infection getting worse. You'll need to get an antibiotic from your local pet store or vet, plus a cleaner for the ears.

It usually requires you clean his ears twice a day and apply the ointment, for about a week or two.

Very common in labs.

Bopeye

When I ran beagles, I had a hound that had ear mites that turned into a severe case. I went to Tractor Supply and got some stuff called NU-STOCK if memory serves me correctly and followed the directions. Cleared his ear up. After that, anytime I had a hound getting ears that started looking bad, I treated them with that. Some guys used Ivomec, but I was always very sparing with that stuff. Used it for heart worm prevention, but it is so powerful that it can hurt a dog if overdosed. Ivomec worked good on sarcoptic mange as well.

May just be an infection like the other guys said. Mom had a poodle that was prone to ear infections. She was treating them all the time. Her ears would practically close shut from it.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

bigben

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 19, 2010, 09:04:38 PM
This was more of a brown snot looking substance. I guess only Ben knows at this point if it's snotty or waxy LOL

jim nailed it.  kind of a brown oozy snotty stuff.  thanks for the help fellas looks like I will be going to tsc today.  I dont think it is ear mites we seen them in our coon hound over the years. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Bopeye

I hope you get it under control for them GB. I was always told that left untreated that they would go deaf. I never had one go deaf, except from old age, but that's what I heard.
I wish your dog the best.

Silencer

I think they all nailed it,  getting infected but if you want to be sure its not mites, take a glump of the clump and place it on a white piece of paper, a clump of mites that big you see em walkin around !!! no kiddin.

bigben

Bopeye

Quote from: bigben on November 20, 2010, 11:10:34 AM
thanks snuggles. 

:alscalls: :alscalls:

You're gonna get me to liking that name.  :eyebrownod:

You coming to LBL?

George Ackley

that would be nice

then if he is able to he could give a seminar  on how to chase coyotes off your property to save the deer
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

bigben

no I wont be making it.  all my money this year is going into buying some mountain property.  

Quote from: George Ackley on November 22, 2010, 11:05:50 PM
that would be nice

then if he is able to he could give a seminar  on how to chase coyotes off your property to save the deer

your an idiot george.  again your a troll.  

Thanks to the others that offered help instead of being a jerk

FinsnFur

Ben, I can't have you using language like that on here. With all due respect, I can understand your frustration though. I edited your post.

George I'm not exactly sure what the beef is you have with Ben, but I'm here to tell you that your not who you think you are on these forums.  I've watched you throw your weight around on enough other sites over the years to know that you are NOT going to do it here....and get away with it.
Time for a reality check.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

its your board jim and I understand.  sorry for the vulgar language.