• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Deer Tenderloin

Started by SCcoyotehunter, December 13, 2009, 07:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

I just cooked some back straps tonight for my family and my mother and father. They were delicious.
They were from 2006 too, the processor i use vacuum packs everything. It tasted very fresh and was in great condition when thawed.
I cut into two inch steaks and wrap with a thick strip of bacon, toothpick and soak in Allegro hickory smoke marinade for about three hours. Season and cook over charcoal. This is the key to cooking on the grill, to heck with the gas grill, charcoal is the only way to go in my book. I spread the meat out around the edges of the fire not directly over heat. Cook to mediium rare and medium.

coyote101

Man Fastenal, that sounds good. I have to agree, vacuum sealing is the way to go. I have never tried anything three years old, but I ate some backstrap last week that was a tad over a year old. Tasted fresh and had no freezer burn or discoloration. A good vacuum sealer is kind of expensive, and the bags are a bit pricey, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

The motor finally went bad in mine..........Boy do I miss that thing........
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Fastenal them sounded dang good.  I've never used anything but butcher paper and tape to wrap our meat[odd plastic bag for pieces] and it doesn't freezer burn either :shrug:.  Don't last a year in the freezer either :holdon:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

I've wrapped duck and goose with bacon, never tried it on venison.  Will have to give a whirl