• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Accuracy

Started by snafu, July 12, 2014, 07:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Maybe I expect to much from factory firearms? I bought a 9mm CZ Combat yesterday & took it out for a test run. I had a few boxes of ammo I ran through it. Using a pistol rest @ 15yrs it grouped 3-5". More 5 than 3.

Anyhow as for the pistol. She is sleek & silky with a nice finish. Light weight IMO for an all steel pistol. Her grip fits like a glove in my hand. She is tight also(no slop or rattle), can't complain about that.

On a mission now to find out if we improve together. The quest is to find the best mfg ammo for her. She will be my back-up. The day I meet my Iowa lion. meow 
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

riverboss

Im not sure aboyt the accuracy part but my xd45 shoots alot better than that. Im not much of a handgun shooter i have done alittle im sure others will chime in.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

JohnP

I have a XD9 and it's a good shooter also.  CZ makes some pretty good rifles.  I bet once you become a little more familiar with it, it will be okay.  Handloads or factory?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

snafu

I need glasses for my glasses apparently. I went to clean it this morning. As I'm taking it apart. The  adjustable rear sight almost fell off of the slide <jeesh> What the .... You would think this type of thing would be caught at the factory in "quality control"  :doh2:

I'm surprised I even hit my target yesterday. I put lock tight under the sight in the dove tail groove. Anyone have a better idea for securing a rear sight?

Carolina Coyote

Quote from: snafu on July 12, 2014, 11:38:09 AM
I need glasses for my glasses apparently. I went to clean it this morning. As I'm taking it apart. The  adjustable rear sight almost fell off of the slide <jeesh> What the .... You would think this type of thing would be caught at the factory in "quality control"  :doh2:

I'm surprised I even hit my target yesterday. I put lock tight under the sight in the dove tail groove. Anyone have a better idea for securing a rear sight?
Trade for Kimber. cc

KySongDog

Quote from: snafu on July 12, 2014, 11:38:09 AM
I put lock tight under the sight in the dove tail groove. Anyone have a better idea for securing a rear sight?

That's what I've always used.  Blue lock tight.    If it continues to shoot 5" groups at 15 yds,  trade it off.   

snafu

Yep I did use Blue. Seems bound tight now. I read on another site. Where a guy suggested using fine metal filing dust, to make a paste with Blue. Then install the sight. Sounded like a plan to me.

bigben

Peen the dovetail to fix it permanently. A brass rod and a small tap till it gets tight
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

snafu

Quote from: bigben on July 13, 2014, 03:43:38 PM
Peen the dovetail to fix it permanently. A brass rod and a small tap till it gets tight

bigben, are you talking about the dove tail on the sight. Or on the slide? Peen? as in strike a bur? so it catches?

bigben

I would peen the sight. But use a brass rod and i mean really light taps with a small hammer to the brass rod to the corners of the sight on each side of the dovetail. How loose is the sight in the dovetail?

Just a little disclaimer here im not a gunsmith but i am a machinist and work with dovetails frequently as well as work on my own firearms.  I also do not know what you feel comfortable with working on mechanical objects. The loctite will work. But i personally would peen it.

Edit to add there is a lot of info out there on it. Google "peening dovetail sight".
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

snafu

Quote from: bigben on July 13, 2014, 08:26:45 PM
I would peen the sight. But use a brass rod and i mean really light taps with a small hammer to the brass rod to the corners of the sight on each side of the dovetail. How loose is the sight in the dovetail?

Just a little disclaimer here im not a gunsmith but i am a machinist and work with dovetails frequently as well as work on my own firearms.  I also do not know what you feel comfortable with working on mechanical objects. The loctite will work. But i personally would peen it.

Edit to add there is a lot of info out there on it. Google "peening dovetail sight".

Thanks for your opinion. I do have some shop experience. Coiling machine, metal lathe, hand grinding, ect.

bigben

I would say you have enough know how to do the task. Everything i read last night they put a considerable stake on the dovetail but i rather do a little at a time till it tightens up then do alot at once and have to file the peened edge. Jmo