• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Recent outings

Started by Dave, August 12, 2014, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Here are a few pics from recent outings

The water has been dirty where we usually free dive, so my nephew Dan fixed up my brother's and my boat so we can get offshore (northern New Jersey) on calmer days.  I'm used to diving in 6 to 8 feet of water looking for flounder and crabs, but this was a whole nother animal.  With the help of an area chart, we were able to locate roughly a one acre lump (a shallower area of the ocean floor) about 1/2 a mile offshore.  The depth was about 25 to 30 feet, and for whatever reason these shallower areas seem to hold fish.

Dan did most of the shooting and diving, but Dante and I, along with Dan's brother, Matt were 'testing' our diving skills.  I could get to the bottom, but then had only about 10 seconds of bottom time before needing to shoot back to the surface to suck in some air.  I shot at a trigger fish and a tog.  I did hit the tog, but it wriggled off the spear by the time I got to the top.

Dante and Matt didn't get any shooting while underwater, but Dante was able to shoot one trigger fish off the boat.  Three triggers followed my jig (tipped with some squid) up to the back of the boat.  Dante almost lost his mind scrambling for the pole spear while telling me to keep the fish around.  He shot it right off the boat deck.  Sorry no pics of it.

Dan is a good free diver and can stay under for quite awhile.  He managed to shoot a nice tog, a very nice sea bass, and two triggers. 
Managed to get one pic of the tog.

Here's a pic of two nice sized walleye Dante and I caught in the Delaware river a few days ago.  We both hooked up within 10 seconds of each other.

Todd Rahm

Sounds like a lot of fun. Never heard of a tog and know I probably couldn't dive deeper then 10 feet.

Hawks Feather

At least for me, I don't think I will be any competition when it comes to dive fishing.   :rolleye:   But I am glad that you are enjoying it.  Nice looking fish and Dante is growing.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

The young man is a spitting image of his Dad, looks like you guys had a great time. cc

Okanagan

Niiice walleye and a GREAT father son photo!  That's gotta be fun to dive together.

FinsnFur

Perfect eating size Walleyes :congrats: :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com