• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What are the odds you'll smuck a deer w/ your car?

Started by FinsnFur, August 10, 2014, 08:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

According to State Farm

Look at West Virginia. They seem to have the highest odds.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Interesting map!  Jim, you pull up some interesting stuff.

No wonder it is so hard to fill a deer tag in WA State! 

If the map was of Australia and odds of hitting a kangaroo, it would be flashing red all over.  Never saw anything like it for cars hitting large animals, and a grey kangaroo is about the size of a deer.  Except inside large cities, virtually every vehicle in Australia has a massive 'roo guard of heavy steel pipes on the front.   Dead road hit kangaroos litter the highways.  The heaviest concentration we saw was at least a dozen within a quarter mile.

Hawks Feather

I got one in Ohio and another in Wyoming.  Hopefully I am done.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

JohnP

Arizona is the lowest.  Some states kill more on the road than we kill during hinting season!
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Carolina Coyote

Well I got one in SC but no damage to the car " Thank the Good Lord " I saw it coming in time to brake down but still hit it with the front bumper.cc

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 10, 2014, 11:41:17 AM
Ohio has Kangaroos?
I knew Wyoming did

Yea, there are a few, but the deer do more damage when you hit one of them.  I came very close to hitting a Jack-A-Lope in the southwest several years ago and that one still gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Jerry

slagmaker

i just totaled my car when i hit a big buck. i hit him then some drunk ran him over. 

good night fishing shot to hell
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bambam

the odds of hitting a deer here in WV are higher than the odds of getting lucky in a French whorehouse on nickel night.  :rolleye: :doh2: :innocentwhistle: :shrug: :shrug:

5 SHOTS

I'm not sure, but it looks like Montana is the second most likely state?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on August 11, 2014, 02:10:19 AM
I'm not sure, but it looks like Montana is the second most likely state?

:eyebrownod: How many have you hung in your Roo Bars over the years Art?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

Sc pa down through virginia is bad for roadkills.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

5 SHOTS

I have hit 4 in the last 3 years with the truck, but none in my car or pickup......so far.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Dave

I haven't hit one in about 10 years, but I'm a trying real hard!!

nailbender

Quote from: Dave on August 11, 2014, 11:02:15 AM
I haven't hit one in about 10 years, but I'm a trying real hard!!
:laf: :laf: :laf: Better odds than the Lotto!  Keep trying!

msmith

While we certainly do have a lot of deer in WV, part of it has to do with the roads.  Twisty winding roads with blind turns, steep embankments on each side, one side going up, the other down. Lots of foliage on each side too. I seem to hit one every other year or more. They can be in the brush then jump right off an embankment into the path of your vehicle with no time to even hit the brakes. Deer have to cross the roads quite often too because the creek is on one side and the woods are on the other.

All this combined with the numbers and it's a set up for whackin' 'em with your vehicle. I keep telling myself to get a deer slayer bumper for the truck, but I keep putting it off.

bambam, you got a nickel I can barrow?
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori