• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Early Muzzleloader

Started by bigben, October 24, 2023, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

This season has been tough.  Work has me a little stressed with deadlines and such.  So I have not been out doing much in the way of hunting because I haven't been able to enjoy the time afield.  The weather has been fairly warm as well and I hate fighting mosquitos. 

Our early muzzleloader season gives me a chance to get out with one of my favorite weapons.  Its a .54cal renegade that was given to me on my wedding day so I wouldn't trade her in for a hawkin gun.  The first weekends was wet.  Which causes problems with a flintlock.  I hunted the morning shift in my wives treestand that over looks a large food plot of radish and other greens.  No deer showed themselves long enough to shoot so I called it a day at lunch.  Went home and did some chores. 

Friday I went out to the local state forest in pursuit of a bear or a deer.  Either or would be great to see let alone get a chance to harvest.  On the way in I spooked some doe in tight cover.  I kept going found a nice location but did not find any deer. 

Saturday morning I was back in my wives treestand and again seen deer and some turkey but no shots.  They were hammering the red oaks dropping compared to the greens.  That afternoon however a couple filtered into the plot uneasy.  No shot still and they disappeared as quick as they showed.  About an hour later a button buck showed up at the far end.  I was watching him and then scanned back to the close end and the "herd" was making their way through the neighbors corner.  I was hoping that they would see him and come out and join him.  But no dice.  I quick looked back and a large doe was now beside the button buck.

I got settled and eased the set trigger back.  I settled tight to her shoulder looking through the peep on my gun and touched off the hair trigger.  I seen her mule kick stumble and then get her feet under her turn 180 degrees and make it threw the fencerow.  On the other side she made a right hand turn and lost it got back up ran a few more yards then turned left.  I lost her. 

I reloaded trying to recall exactly where she was and what happened.  I seen blood on her side immediately so i knew she was hit good.  The mule kick and stumbles helped.  I climbed down and the father was waiting for me where she was as the food plot is on land right beside their house.  He asked what happened.  After the story i walked to where she wend in and followed the trail that the deer have made.  No blood still.  Which gets me worried but I use a patched round ball and they do not bleed at all. 

About 40 yds into the track I picked up blood.  As I was following the trail a doe appeared across the small hollow.  We are on my neighbors land already.  I am blessed with good neighbors and he will get some of this doe as appreciation.  He has offered to hunt on his ground but I let it go and only go onto his ground to track deer that make it there from ours.  The doe that is walking away at this point is pretty small  I look at her with binos and confirm it is the button buck.  When I stand up and take down my binos there is a white rump laying just out of sight from crouching down. 

She made it around 60 yds from where I shot and it was a 65 yard shot off a really good rest.  The ball entered about the 6th rib from the back and exited just on the offside diaphragm.  once she was dressed and hanging we scaled her at 85# hanging weight. 

This doe hit a bit harder as it was the first deer I shot on ground I personally owned.  We purchased this ground off my parents and intend on placing a home on it this coming spring.  A little over 3 acres of mostly flat ground.  Some exciting times ahead for my family that is for sure. 

Thanks for reading.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bambam

Congrats !!!   THat will be some fine eatin' .

nastygunz

Cool story, and I would love to see a picture of that firearm!

FinsnFur

Nice story Ben, thanks for sharing it with us. And that will definitely be awesome table fare. :eyebrownod:
How's this Miss's? I'm glad to hear you guys are still one.  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

Quote from: nastygunz on October 24, 2023, 04:59:03 PMCool story, and I would love to see a picture of that firearm!

here is the most recent picture of it.  I actually have another one that is the same model and caliber that was her paps.  So i could go full mel gibson in the patriot and carry two. 

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 24, 2023, 09:31:13 PMNice story Ben, thanks for sharing it with us. And that will definitely be awesome table fare. :eyebrownod:
How's this Miss's? I'm glad to hear you guys are still one.  :congrats:

We are still good.  She started another job last year and that is going well.  We both are looking forward to moving on top of smyser mtn as we called it.  we got big plans for the property and it feels good owning something I am hopefully going to die owning.  we got a little more cleanup from the demo on the trailer but then its up to contractors to get the stuff done. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Congrats on some fine eating and to make the shot with a rifle you will never be able to get rid of makes it even better.

Okanagan

Thanks for the story.  I enjoyed reading it and wish I could try a taste of that deer, maybe a little breakfast steak with some eggs.  Good hunting, good shooting and good follow-up.

I'm skunked so far this year, though I passed one small buck opening day, so I guess that isn't skunked.  Got on 3 deer last evening:  a doe and fawn and a third large deer in fog and rain at 60 yards that ducked into the woods before I got a good look at it. 

bigben

I can assure you that "doe"lores is pretty tasty even though we were not able to let her hang long.  threw a blade roast and a small chunk of eye of round in the crockpot mixed up a batch of taters and some good ol mac n cheese for lunch yesterday.  She is tasty.  A little tough but I didnt cook the hell out of the roasts either which makes sense.