• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Stalking the Calvatia Gigantea !

Started by nastygunz, October 16, 2010, 08:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Spotted these giant puffball mushrooms today:

slagmaker

That looks mighty tasty. It has been too dry around here for any kind of mushroom. I was hopping to find somehen of the woods but aint found anything.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

weedwalker

Looks like you had a successful stalk on those critters. Is it hard to neek up on one of those?

coyotehunter_1

QuoteIs it hard to neek up on one of those?

:laf: :laf: :laf:
You better watch out though, those things look both dangerous and sneaky... one is packing a 410 and another grows up to look like a camo cap.  :shock2:

Seriously, I don't know squat about wild mushrooms (except those that come from the store) but those are some big mo-hunkin' fungi.

I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) that almost every editable variety of mushroom known to man has it's own "look a like" that is somewhat toxic. Some mushrooms and toadstools, when digested, are very deadly to humans... even breathing their spores can cause distress.

This is a good chance for some of us to learn from experiences of "shroom" hunters... :wink:

Q: Are giant puffballs editable and if so... do they have toxic twins out there that we need to be aware of?  :confused:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vvarmitr

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on October 17, 2010, 09:34:19 AM
Q: Are giant puffballs editable and if so... do they have toxic twins out there that we need to be aware of?  :confused:
All that I was ever told was to eat 'em while the flesh was still white, & you need to peel the outside layer off.

nastygunz

Quote from: weedwalker on October 17, 2010, 07:06:23 AM
Looks like you had a successful stalk on those critters. Is it hard to neek up on one of those?

I use my Holstein cow camo and act like I am grazing and box them in then pounce when their guard is down..the real big ones ill hit a few times with the Ar15. :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on October 17, 2010, 09:34:19 AM
QuoteIs it hard to neek up on one of those?

:laf: :laf: :laf:
You better watch out though, those things look both dangerous and sneaky... one is packing a 410 and another grows up to look like a camo cap.  :shock2:

Seriously, I don't know squat about wild mushrooms (except those that come from the store) but those are some big mo-hunkin' fungi.

I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) that almost every editable variety of mushroom known to man has it's own "look a like" that is somewhat toxic. Some mushrooms and toadstools, when digested, are very deadly to humans... even breathing their spores can cause distress.

This is a good chance for some of us to learn from experiences of "shroom" hunters... :wink:

Q: Are giant puffballs editable and if so... do they have toxic twins out there that we need to be aware of?  :confused:

I would say google a few eb sites on them, yes they are edible, shroom hunting is VERY dangerous and you need to be VERY careful...the best thing to do is find a club in your area and go out with them on a hunt...some of those fungi can turn you into fungi fertilizer real quick :readthis: