• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Tennessee "tree rat" season open this Sat.

Started by Roundman, May 10, 2007, 07:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

awh

That 's right. Nothing like watching the young-n's try to get a squirrell lined up in their sights. Ours is a few months away, and I can't wait to get Lil-man on them again this year. Just good ol fun all the way around.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

Seriously???? Your opens this early? Wow that is odd.
I wonder why they do it that way.....most areas it's one of the first openers along with Bow deer.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DirtyDog

I said that too Jim when I first moved down here. They have a spring squirrel season down here in TN. Not sure what it would be like except for maybe hot.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Yeah bring some paper plates and napkins, eat the squirrels right in the woods.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

While I am not sure, I think they do it for the new born mosquitoes.  This gives them a chance to learn how to bite without leaving the woods.   :laf:

Jerry

KySongDog

Kentucky's early squirrel season opens the first saturday in June for two weeks.  Them skeeters can be a problem this time of year.   :eyebrownod:

DirtyDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on May 10, 2007, 09:50:24 AM
While I am not sure, I think they do it for the new born mosquitoes.  This gives them a chance to learn how to bite without leaving the woods.   :laf:

Jerry

Don't forget about the ticks Jerry.  :laf:

iahntr

That does seem funny, ours opens like Laborday weekend.
Scott

cb223

CHAD

iahntr

Scott

Roundman

Awsome pic 223. Thats exactly what I mean.
The boy and I will make a weekend of it. Hunt a few hours and do a little work around camp. Light a fire and tell stories. We got our eye on a couple of big fox squirrels. He's yet to kill a red en.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyotehunter_1

I've been seeing a lot of squirrels on the move over the past few weeks. It may have something to do with the late killing frost we had here. It set back a lot of trees and shrubs that were in bud and leafed out. I'm afraid our mast crop will be nonexistent this year.

Good luck with the hunt... those squirrels need thinning out or else they will be starving come fall.
Watch out for those snake varmints.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

That is a great pic. I love seeing those young-ns out there hunting.  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

weedwalker

Season opens June 2nd here in Ky. Thinking about using my 17 HMR. There has to be something it's good for. :shrug:

cb223

I'm jealous!! I can't hunt small game till the middle of Sept.

Quote from: weedwalker on May 24, 2007, 05:25:14 AM
Thinking about using my 17 HMR. There has to be something it's good for. :shrug:

My son uses a 10/22 and I use my .17 HMR.
I love my HMR for squirrels! Nothing much bigger but it's great for squirrels.
CHAD

weedwalker

cb223, Which bullets have you tried? The .17 gr ballistic tip, 17gr HP, or 20 gr Gamepoint? What were the results on squirrels? Which one worked the best?

cb223

I mostly only used the ballistic tip because it proved to be the most accurate. It did a good job. I did find that a shoulder shot anchored them better than a head shot. Not sure why. Ruined a little more meat but the hind quarters is better anyway.

With the ballistic tip and a shoulder shot it quite often did not exit!
CHAD