• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

thats not a mink !!!

Started by Silencer, December 17, 2008, 12:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

I was rollin down the strip be-boppin to the local country station and I'd seen this black furry animal hit along the road.  I pull a 360 in the hoop D and picked er up thinkin I scored a mink for my bud who traps.

Still pretty rare for my part of the woods/block.  The tail was missin some fur, I'm not sure if it was from being hit or something else.

KySongDog

Looks like a male Chupacabra.........

Or maybe a squirrel.   :biggrin:

cathryn

when ya figured out what it was, did you eat it?

Hawks Feather

Not that I bet, but if I did, my money would be going on squirrel.  But if you can sell it as a mink you will get more for it.    :shck:

Jerry

Silencer

Quotewhen ya figured out what it was, did you eat it?
to be honest, its still on the floor of my car-truck, I best go take care of it asap.  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Looks like a Squirrel got plugged into a Mink somewhere along the line :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

5 SHOTS

Quote from: cathryn on December 17, 2008, 02:01:05 PM
when ya figured out what it was, did you eat it?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :biggrin: :hahaha:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

possumal

Looks just like some fox squirrels that got introduced down here in Ky.. They had the normal orange red belly and underside of their tail, but their top side was black as a cat.  It does not look like any mink I have ever seen.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

coyotehunter_1

Possum Al may have solved the mystery

FOX SQUIRREL
(Sciurus niger)
Fox squirrels are characterized by a large bushy tail and rounded ears without ear tufts. The genus name for fox squirrel, Sciurus, is from the Greek meaning "shade tail." The species name, niger , is Latin for black because the original species description was based on an all black individual...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern fox squirrel

description: The largest tree squirrel. 3 color phases: in northeastern part of range, gray above, yellowish below; in western part, bright rust below; in South, black, often with white blaze on face and white tail tip (in South Carolina, typically black with white ears and nose). Large, bushy tail with yellow-tipped hairs. L 17 7/8–28" (454–698 mm); T 7 7/8–13" (200–330 mm); HF 2–3 1/4" (51–82 mm); Wt 17 3/4–37 1/2 oz (504–1,062 g).
Sources:
http://www.northern.edu/natsource/MAMMALS/Foxsqu1.htm
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=MA0120

But then again it may be a male Chupacabra  :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

possumal

Yeah Coyotehunter 1, I had forgotten about that little blaze of white on their face. Most of the ones I shot with that black back had a little blaze of white on their face.  First time I ever shot one, I didn't know what the hell I had killed at first. He was high in an oak tree just peeping over a fork, and I put one of those 22 HP in his head and down he came.  It was the first one like it I had ever seen, but killed quite a few that color in that section of Mercer County that fall.  The underside of the body and tail was identical to the fox squirrels we were used to.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

bigben

it is a black squirrel I killed one earlier in the season at a buddys cabin

here it is the story of actually killing and retrieving this squirrel is pretty funny.  I was hunting at my buddy Aarons camp for coyotes I think it was the first weekend in november.  but turkey came in that day so me and dad decided we were goin to hunt turkeys because we had seen some longbeards the day before.  we were going to walk up this acess road to a cell tower.  on the way to the top we seen squirrels tons of em.  but they were just grey squirrles.  we spooked some grouse but nothing presented a shot.  we get allmost to the top and this black squirrel runs across the road.  dad looks at me and says ya want him?  sure never got one before.  so I quicken the pace a bit to get it to go up a tree.  he heads up one but circled it tryin to keep a tree between me and him.  I start to circle the tree and I see this black lump on the side of the tree and figured that was him.  I pull up and shoot him.  sure nuff this black tree rat falls out of the tree.  I start down the bank to get him and he stands up.  here I musta only hit is hind end.  he runs to the biggest rock around and goes underneath.  I walk down thinkin that he has to be right there.  well something has this rock dug out and musta been livin in it.  so I take my shooting sticks and start pokin.  nothin.  so we figure snow on the ground we should be able to see where he comes out if he does.  we walk the rest of the way up then walk back down.  no blood comin out.  so I start really pokin under this rock.  well I feel something that is soft but firm.  not leaf soft but like he is right there.  so I poke it a bit harder.  only when I poke it it goes GRRRRRR.  I am thinkin to myself WTH is under there that is growlin.  watch I found a fox den or something.  so I poke it a little more furiously.  all you hear comeing from under this rock is what sounds like a dog that has a toy in its mouth and you are taking it from him.  GRRRRRR  GRRRRRRRRR   GRRRRRRRRR.  bought that time this squirrel comes flyin out I stood up so fast I lost my balance and fell on my butt.  I turned and looked the squirrel runs to a rock.  and goes under that one.  I think oh great.  atleast this one is smaller.  I pick it up and it takes of runnin then I popped it in the back of the head.  so when I get back to camp those guys asked me about the story I told em and they said they never saw shooting sticks on the exceptable means to kill squirrel  I was thinking ha ha real funny.  he is gonna get mounted someday.  not many taxi's like doing squirrells.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

possumal

That one appears to be nearly solid black all over.  That may be similar to an albino, with it being a color phase. Interesting.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

I have shot a lot of black squirrels in Ohio but never one with a red belly...... :shrug: :confused:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Been seeing a lot of those black squirells down at my sisters "south west IN". Never saw them before. thye just started showing up in the last couple years.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

I shot one a few years ago with a lot of black. Friend said they were "rock squirrels" as they made nests in large rock piles.  :shrug:

bigben

the one I killed was very similar to the roadkill one at the top of the post.  it had brown around the belly and face.  you just could not see it.  my black squirrel was killed in pike county.  I have seen em alot up north of I80 here in pa but they are rare.  I normally see em while archery hunting.  tried shooting one with the bow 8 or so years ago when I first got into it.  turned around after missing and there is one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen.  Doh.  he ran off and ever since then I do not go hunting for mulitple species. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

cb223

I have shot alot of black squirrels. The property I hunt holds black, gray and red. I didn't think it was unusual to see blacks. I'm in SW MI.
CHAD

Silencer

Thanks for all the replies, just checked back.  Its a black for sure, I was just kiddin with the mink deal lol  :biggrin:   

But like I said, still pretty rare for around here.

Okanagan

Interesting the differences in color from one part of the country to another.  All of the squirrels I've seen in Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada, are black.  No red on them.  They are tree squirrels of some sort and look like the one in the pic.  I've killed fox squirrels in Oklahoma and greys, but not enough to tell any of them apart.  My cousins make that call.  Also lots of black ones up the Fraser River Valley from Vancouver, usually in towns and parks rather than in wild country.