• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Tell me about ar15's

Started by bigben, February 17, 2016, 06:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

I second that Ruger AR556. The price is right and it's as good as my other AR's.

Jeb

bigben

I did look really hard at the ruger.  He has one sitting there in stock.  I'm pretty happy with the choice I made.  I need to order some trigger springs and a 10rd mag today and hopefully they might be here by the weekend.  Id like to throw on a 3-9 power scope and see what it will do off bags and some handloads.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bulk ammo?  I did pick up some black box stuff last night at the local gun store that had lake city brass in and since I use that in my bolt .223 it is a bit more desirable for me at least. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

JohnP

Ben there is no law against owning more than one AR.  Has PA passed a law now allowing AR's for hunting?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bigben

The plan is to get familiar with this one then I want to get a 80% lower and machine it out and finish it. 

No you cannot hunt with them yet in pa but there has been a big push in recent years. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Dale

here's where I get a lot of my ammo... look around you can normally find good 556 for 35¢ a round or less...

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

bigben

Well a trip to the bargain cave at cabelas helped me change this sucker already.  I found a free floating hand guard for 30 bucks. And a set of p series rings for 35. I also had ordered in a lighter spring set from midway as well as a armors tool to take it apart.

I just got done throwing it all back together and other then the creep in the trigger im happy with it. I put a verified nikon 3-9x40 bdc to shoot for groups this weekend. I need to grab a linger 10-32 set screw to replace the one that was missing on the handguard as well.

riverboss

Ben look up trigger creap on ar 15 fix, for about 50 cents you can take most if not all away.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

bigben

I'll look into it.

Thanks for the heads up dale

bigben

Im pretty happy with this. Just sighted in and shot a 5shot 100 yd group with hand loads. Considering the wind was howling. Right to left im happy with the results. 50gr vmax

riverboss

Looks good I can't wait to see what it does on a calm day.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

Dale

depending on what twist you have in that barrel, the 50gr may be a bit light for best accuracy... a 1-9 may handle them ok but a 1-7or8 will be pushing the limits... I have 1-9 in both of mine and they'll both shoot 77gr very well, 55's are acceptable accuracy but 62's are a lot better...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

bigben

I was thinking that dale. But to be honest. A little under 1" group is more then satisfactory for me with this gun. And factory cheap ammo shoots just as well. The american eagle black box 50gr varmit tips shoot just over an inch with this gun. If pa ever makes it so we can hunt with them and for my outta state trips planned this year i feel confident i can kill anything i aim at. My tikka is a great shooter. I love that gun. But it does get heavy. I was going to build a lite weight calling rifle with a just over legal rifle barrel to carry calling but this ar is just about right.

bigben

Im bringing this post back up to the top again because i dont want to start a new post since this is all kinda relevant.

Pa is finally moving out of the stone age. The laws have changed and now the govt within pa has said its ok to use semi autos. We still need to wait till pgc allows them but im thinking small game and furbearers are going to be allowed. I have been thinking on added assesories for this gun.

I allready purchased a new 15" free float rail. Keymod comp. i plan on being able to mount a led light  easily to the gun using quick disconnects but the weaver scope mounts i was using are bulky and look like crap. Any suggestions for a better mount?

I also need to come up with a sling. I like the one point sling idea but doesnt seem practical in the hunting woods. But was wondering what your opinion was on those as well.

The only other thing i would like to get are 45 deg offset iron sights for close in shots. My 4-12 power leupold will prob go on this gun  shortly and i typically keep it on 6 power when hunting. But was looking for something in case a very close shot presented itself. We have had greys popup 5yds from us at night and even on 4x would be difficult to shoot. Does anyone have a fav brand or other option thats better?

Reloading for this gun has been easy. The same rounds i shoot out of the contender and my bolt gun shoot great. Just dont like the deformed tip. Any suggestions for a poly tipped bullet that wont explode?  The 55gr gamekings preform excelent on fox and coyote alike. I just figure reloading the same bullet will deform it way too much.

Sorry for not coming around as often but i have been spending a lot of my free time with a woman i met.

Happy hunting fellas

slagmaker

Well I own on AR but have no ideas for better mounts for close in work. They are out there and hopefully someone will have suggestions. So until then.

Sounds like a good investment of your free time.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bigben

Yea shes a good girl. Outdoorsmen too. Fishes and takes her own fish off as well as hunts

Ended up putting the longer free float handguard on today. I like the look.