• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

kayaks?

Started by jaspr1, August 29, 2016, 04:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaspr1

Well I went Kayak fishing for the first time the other day and I am now hooked.....pun intended...... I was looking at an Old Town fishing kayak for around $400.....there was a Sun Dolphin right next to it for $276.......anybody have an opinion on what to buy? The quality difference was obvious on these 2 but for example: I use a carbon express crossbow I paid around $500. my friend has a Ten-point he paid $1200. his has gone back 3 times to the company...for issues..being CHEAP..I would like to get the most for the least...

Hawks Feather

While I really can't speak for the kayak, I can say that Old Town canoes are very well made and I would assume that the quality would also be there for kayaks. 

Jerry

slagmaker

Shop around.... but as was said Olde time canoes are quality
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Ed has more buying under his belt then I... but I dont think Sun Dolphins are made for much more then kids playing in the sun. But that's just my opinion.
My brother bought one and said that it paddled in a circle so he took it back.
There is a place up here called Rutabaga Paddlesports and they sell every kayak and canoe known to man. They also have an on grounds pond where you can test out your product before you buy it.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

jaspr1

Nice! I was also told buying a lighter color like this was a good option as it doesn't get as hot to the touch.....thanks for the input. Sorry I didn't get back sooner,I was on a road trip with the CEO at this house......I have been checking Craigslist as suggested, someone always buys spur of the moment and then wants to dump, so yes I have been doing that. I haven't duck hunted in years but when I was out there gliding around the wheels were spinning. When I was 16 a guy gave my friend a wooden kayak with outriggers on it. It was in poor shape! So being enterprising and poor, we removed outriggers and skin off boat...repaired lathes and other items . Then we went to the Singer sewing store and bought unbleached muslin and stretched that over it. Then we got some fiberglass and duck boat paint from Herter's and finished it..making our version of a Susquehanna sneak boat....why we didn't drown was certainly proof God watches over little children and fools...apparently our parents didn't love us much either,as we were definitely free range children.....as per todays definition...LOL

FinsnFur

I woulda loved to have seen the makeshift Susquehanna sneak boat. Sounds pretty keen to me.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: jaspr1 on September 02, 2016, 04:24:07 AM
When I was 16 a guy gave my friend a wooden kayak with outriggers on it. It was in poor shape! So being enterprising and poor, we removed outriggers and skin off boat...repaired lathes and other items . Then we went to the Singer sewing store and bought unbleached muslin and stretched that over it. Then we got some fiberglass and duck boat paint from Herter's and finished it..making our version of a Susquehanna sneak boat....why we didn't drown was certainly proof God watches over little children and fools...apparently our parents didn't love us much either,as we were definitely free range children.....as per todays definition...LOL

Man does that ever bring back memories.  When I was 16 I bought a two man homemade fiberglass kayak for $20 from a friend.  For a test drive before I paid we paddled it one October night in the moonlight 4 miles down the Columbia River.  We were on a double date when I decided to buy the kayak from him so when we got done with whatever the date was we loaded the kayak on his parents' car, the girls picked us up in a bewildering maze of islands and points, no life jackets.  That was the first, safe and easy trip...   :biggrin:

nastygunz

Free range children  :alscalls:

FinsnFur

We did that didn't we, nasty?

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

Hell yeah, I used to go squirrel hunting with my .410 by myself when I was five! I even managed to survive all that time without wearing a bicycle helmet too ha ha.  :highclap: :yoyo:

jaspr1

Nasty......REALLY!!  NO HELMET???........... :rolleye:.............so your the reason we all have to wear helmets now!!!  :huh: Bumped your head so many times  :argh: somebody said "there ought to be a law".... :nofgr: :nofgr:............... :doh2:   ........lol

FinsnFur

Quote from: jaspr1 on September 04, 2016, 04:49:26 AM
Nasty......REALLY!!  NO HELMET???........... :rolleye:.............so your the reason we all have to wear helmets now!!!  :huh: Bumped your head so many times  :argh: somebody said "there ought to be a law".... :nofgr: :nofgr:............... :doh2:   ........lol

:laugh2: :laugh2: Yah thanks a lot Nasty :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com