• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

ANOTHER CROW SHOW

Started by nastygunz, September 26, 2009, 08:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

THERE ISNT MUCH FUNNER HUNTING IN MY HUMBLE OPINION THEN MATCHING WITS WITH THE WILY CROW...I WENT OUT THIS AFTERNOON FOR A HUNT AND WAS SUCCESSFUL WITH 4 BIRDS DROPPED...IT WAS WINDY OUT WHICH USUALLY KEEPS THEM HIGHER UP..DIDNT SEE ANY BIG BUNCHES, JUST 1-2-3 AT A TIME...I USED MY FX3 AND OWL DECOY WITH A MOTION DECOY I MADE OUT OF A SOUND ACTIVATED HALLOWEEN TOY THAT SEEMED TO WORK PRETTY WELL...I DROPPED 3 IN THE FIELD AND ONE IN THE CORN...BEAUTIFUL FALL DAY!

KySongDog

What sound were you using? 

nastygunz

Today all I used was the Foxpro crow fight sound....it is deadly on them, Ive been using for for a few years and my other best sound is the Johnny Stewart death cry of a crow...the Foxpro death cry is good too...but the crow fight just seems to get them pissed off and spoiling for a fight...especially when it gets colder and they are in bigger flocks they seem way more aggressive. :yoyo:

KySongDog

I've got some crow sounds on my Minaska.  I may have to give that a try.    The season is in now in KY.   Thanks.

JohnP

I may have to take some time out of my busy schedule and give them a try.   They always come in when I calling predators and in fact have brought coyotes in with them.  What size shot and choke do you use?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

#6 or #5 shot with a full choke should work, me thinks.   Or maybe a modified choke depending on how close they get.  I know they are tougher to knock down than doves so will just have to see what works best.   :wo:

nastygunz

I generally use 7 1/2 shot with modified choke...but as it was windier and they were staying higher I put in my turkey choke. I have a Polychoke on my mossberg 835 which I really like for when they are flyin high I tighten her up and when they r close I open it right up...but 95% its modified with 7 1/2.

nastygunz

Quote from: JohnP on September 26, 2009, 11:36:39 PM
I may have to take some time out of my busy schedule and give them a try.   They always come in when I calling predators and in fact have brought coyotes in with them.  What size shot and choke do you use?

Depending on where and when im hunting...I usually start off with some #4 buckshot and use some predator sounds on the caller....then if nothing happens I switch sounds n ammo n go for the crows...only worked once so far when I nailed a beautiful red fox...last year I came that close to gettitng a big coyote while crow hunting...if I could only get my shotgun to pattern at 200 yards  :biggrin: