• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A new hunter was born

Started by shaddragger, April 04, 2010, 11:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaddragger

My daughter Taylor turns 16 on Monday but her b-day party was Saturday, which was also Youth Turkey Day here in NC. Friday I mentioned if she wanted to see something new we could go set up on a turkey and she might get a shot. She has always tolerated my son, who is 17, and my stories and photos from hunts with minimal interest and turned down repeated offers to go along but this time she said she would think about it if she could take her camera instead of a gun. I jumped at the chance and told her I didn't care what she took as long as she would go, but mentioned that I would bring the gun just in case she changed her mind. Just after daylight we slipped along the edge of a new cutover to a tree lap and I set out the decoys as she got the camera ready. I was ecstatic as I started calling, just being there with her. She got a few pics of some hens and two jakes, but nothing big. We moved and reset and got a response from a gobbler but he hung up and wouldn't come in. I could see that she got a little excited hearing him so we moved again toward a power line going into a bean field. As we walked the long way around to avoid being seen she asked if she could hold the gun and keep the camera in her pocket, just in case. She had shot the gun before so I thought that would work but commit to one or the other so he wouldn't bust us. Just as we neared the power line I caught movement ahead- the birds beat us there! We ducked in a tree lap just as the gobbler flew across a creek and landed behind a brush pile. I whispered, " You gotta get ready " just as the first hen came into view at 40 yards. A few yelps on the mouth call and he appeared under the power line about 50 yards behind the hen in full strut. Everytime I clucked he would gobble! A soft click beside me drew my attention when Taylor slid the safety forward on the shotgun- her breathing was quick and fluttery but she was ready. Just then the hen spooked on something ahead of them and moved away under the power line out of range and the big tom would come no closer as he followed her on into the bean field. When they had gone out of sight she let out her breath and looked over at me with huge eyes and I got a reminder of why I love being out there with them. Simultaneously we whispered " That was AWESOME!!" We had to leave then to be home in time for her party but as we walked I pointed out that she was all set to take more than that tom's picture. She laughed and said the words I will hear in my mind for a long time- "Now I know why you get up in the mornings. I want to do that again! " We talked about hunters safety classes and everything else on the way home. When we got back I thanked my wife for doing my part of the work for the party while we ran off to the woods and told her about the morning we had shared. My kids have taught me that time is not to be wasted, because there is only one chance to record the memories that last. Taylor will probably not become a hard-core hunter, but our time together will mold us both. Even though it was her birthday the best gift was for me, a moment in time with an elusive creature- and a turkey.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

coyote101

Very nice; what a great story. Congratulations to you and Happy Birthday to Taylor.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

That is a really good read.  Tell Taylor Happy Birthday and thanks for taking her Dad out hunting.

Jerry

vvarmitr

Quote from: shaddragger on April 04, 2010, 11:30:24 PM
... mentioned that I would bring the gun just in case she changed her mind..... Good thinking!  :innocentwhistle:
I was ecstatic as I started calling, just being there with her. Ain't it the truth!  :biggrin:
Simultaneously we whispered " That was AWESOME!!" Sure the heck was!  :eyebrow:
She laughed and said the words I will hear in my mind for a long time- "Now I know why you get up in the mornings. I want to do that again! " Yes! Success!  :yahoo:
I thanked my wife for doing my part of the work ... Good move!  :thumb2:
My kids have taught me that time is not to be wasted, because there is only one chance to record the memories that last. Boy, ain't that the truth.  :iroll:

My oldest granddaughter is named Taylor.  Sure hope we get to have memories like that!   ;yes;
Thanks so much for sharing that me/ us. That was wonderful.

Oops! I want to wish ya a Happy Birthday too Taylor!

pitw

Enjoyed that story to the full extent of the law.  Say happy Birthday to Taylor from Canada and feel proud as you deserve too. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Tell Taylor Happy Birthday from Diane & myself as well!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

And that was one of the BEST stories I've read in a while I do believe!! Thank You for sharing your moment with us!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

What a great story !  :yoyo: :congrats:
Awesome time together, congratulations !
and a Happy Birthday to her too.
Thanks for takin the time to share it with us.
Scott

shaddragger

Thanks a lot guys, and Taylor thanks you as well. She ( and I ) had a great birthday. And be glad that you are all far, far away- she passed her driving test the first time through.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen