• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turkey decoys

Started by iahntr, March 25, 2015, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahntr

Well Turkey seasons gettin close, how about some opinions on decoys and set ups. I'm thinking about gettin a new decoy, or two. From what I've found so far, it looks like a couple of the most realistic lookin ones on the market are the DSD (Dave Smith Decoy) approx. $100 plus, and the Avian decoys, around $75.
Not really lookin to spend quite that much coin on them right now  :nono:  another one I found was a Cherokee Sports Transformer decoy, about $35.  Think it looks pretty good in pics anyways. Anybody have one, or seen one up close ? What are some of the decoys you all use ?  Opinions on importance of "realism" ? What are opinions on decoys in general ? Use em ? Don't use em ? Single hen ? Jake ? Both ? .....
Scott

riverboss

I hardly ever use them! But I know a lot of people who do and all I can tell you is they say the gobblers in full strut work like crack to a junkie.

nastygunz

That is interesting and well-timed question! I have watched tons of TV shows and videos of bird storming into decoys attacking them jumping them humping them etc. when I started hunting turkeys around my area anyway there were no decoys and nobody that I knew use them.
    So for the bulk of my turkey hunting career I never used decoys. Then about five years ago I started using them with mixed results. I started out using a Tom and 2 hen decoys and quickly found out the Tom attracted a lot of attention, from other hunters if I was anywhere near a road and sometimes out of sight of the road.
    I also had a huge Tom coming in once and saw the other Tom decoy and hung up and strutted and gobbled but would not come in, I don't think he wanted to get into a scrap. Based upon those experiences I stop using a Tom and just used 2 to 3 hen decoys after that.
    Using just the hen decoys has worked out okay, but I don't really think I've had a huge difference in not using them and just calling, if anything I might give a slight edge to not using them.

nastygunz

I said your post was well-timed because I just made a decision this year I was not going to use any decoys. I like the simplicity of not hauling decoys around and decoy stakes and having to run around out in the field and put them up in attracting attention from other hunters. I like to hunt in the woods also so by the time a turkey gets close enough to see your decoy it's close enough for you to shoot anyways. As far as quality decoys I always used mid priced ones probably in the $20-$25 range. Calling, camo and positioning is how I roll :yoyo:
      I also think a lot of it is just luck of the draw, I have had Tom's hang up and screw around strutting and  gobbling in front of me for two hours not come in, and other times sit down at daybreak make three yelps on my box call and have turkey storming towards me.
     Last spring had a big Tom come into my calling saw the two hen decoys and didn't like them and slid off to the right along the edge of the field and ran right into one of my brothers about 20 yards away heading straight for him=Bang!

nastygunz

I have a buddy who puts out a big flock of turkey decoys and then mixes Crow decoys in with them as a confidence decoy. One would assume if something spooked the crows then the turkeys would take notice of that, pretty smart of him and he drops some birds!

gravesco hunter

I rarely use decoys,I try to set up were the turkey has to come over a hill or around a corner,then it is too late for him,but i am not filming i am shooting

iahntr

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I think animals are a lot like humans when it comes to fight or flight type responses. Some want to fight, some would rather turn and head the other way.  I've had huge bucks, that shoulda been king of the mountain, tuck and run like crazy from the sound of a grunt call, and small bucks stick there ears back and come in ready to take on the world. Same as mixed results with decoys. With turkeys I've used everything from two hens and a jake, to a single hen. I've had Toms hang up and never come in, and some come running in and stomp the snot outta the decoy. If I had to chose, I think I'd probably say I've had just as good, or the best luck, with just a single hen. I should say that all my turkey hunting is done with a bow, and pretty much all in a small area that I hunt with a couple other guys, so the option to run and gun, or go after the turkeys, is very limited. I pretty much set up the blind and decoy(s), and  have to make them come to you, and get them into bow range. As far as realism of the decoy goes, it might be that little, slight, bit of an edge that could make the difference to a smart weary old Tom hanging up, or coming in ?   :shrug: :biggrin:
Or it could be just an excuse to buy something new.  :biggrin:   Another discussion could be adding motion to the decoy. Sometimes when they hang up I wonder if it wasn't because of lack of motion ?
Scott

riverboss

My neighbor uses a real stuffed full strut turkey and says they will run over it.

nastygunz

I always wondered about those motion decoys too, some of them are incredibly realistic when the fan goes up. One time my younger brother wanted to pull one of those rubber decoys on his head and crawl across the field towards a flock out in the middle of it which I thought was a pretty good idea but I stopped him because I didn't want to listen to his wife bitch if somebody shot him :biggrin:

iahntr

riverboss, does he pretty much use the Tom all the time then ? I assume a Tom and hen combo ?

:laf:  yeah probably not the best idea to get your head shot off.
  I think for fun I might mess with some sort of motion type stake or somethin.  :biggrin:
Scott

riverboss

All he uses is his stuffed gobbler he said he will turn it so its back is facing the direction he thinks the tom is coming from and they will run as fast as they can to try and whip him or get in front of him. He always has his tags filled opening weekend.

iahntr

Interesting he uses just the Tom.
Sounds like it works  :thumb2:
Scott

riverboss

His theory is if they see the hens he will try and get them to leave the other gobbler but if he thinks the hens are there  or are on there way he tries to get there and run the other gobbler off. He is a great turkey hunter its the only hunting he does anymore.

JohnP

"I've had huge bucks, that shoulda been king of the mountain, tuck and run like crazy from the sound of a grunt call, and small bucks stick there ears back and come in ready to take on the world."

Scott, us "old bucks" ain't looking for a fight anymore, we are saving our energy for the more important "stuff". :innocentwhistle:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dale

^^^  yeah, what John said... that's why we carry pistols... to old to run and to young to die... 
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

riverboss

iahntr

Interesting gunz. Not sure if Id like it or not.  Hafta see
It maybe in person to see what it looks like.
   Makes sense riverboss.
Lol  I hear ya John.  :laf:  Priorities change don't they fellas  :biggrin:
Scott

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on March 28, 2015, 01:37:39 PM
"I've had huge bucks, that shoulda been king of the mountain, tuck and run like crazy from the sound of a grunt call, and small bucks stick there ears back and come in ready to take on the world."

Scott, us "old bucks" ain't looking for a fight anymore, we are saving our energy for the more important "stuff". :innocentwhistle:

Does that comment ever open possibilities!

FWIW, the best blacktail hunter I know explained something I saw when hunting blacktails in the rainy coastal rut:  a huge buck off to one side 30 yards while a big fork horn nuzzled and sniffed and followed a doe that wasn't quite ready.  My friend killed a record book buck in the same scenario:  30 yards to one side of a doe in deep timber that had a younger buck courting her.   He's seen that more than once and a mutual friend killed a buck that just missed the record book in the same situation.  I didn't get the buck I saw, in heavy undergrowth and until my last look when I saw antlers well, I thought that it must be a doe or it would be after the doe in heat.  Wish I could redo that one!   The big buck doesn't waste his energy till breeding time.

We do wander from the starting topic some times!  Turkey decoys to wise old bucks.

nastygunz

"Scott, us "old bucks" ain't looking for a fight anymore, we are saving our energy for the more important "stuff". :innocentwhistle:"

That reminds me of my pops favorite joke, a young bull an old bull were walking across the top of the field and look down at a bunch of heifers. The young bull says pa lets run down there and f--k one of them heifers and the old bull shakes his head and says son let's walk down there and f--k them all!... :yoyo: