• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A pretty good Weekend

Started by Bills Custom Calls, April 26, 2009, 08:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

Alscalls got here Friday evening about 6pm and after a quick supper we went for a walk to see if we could hear any turkey flying up to roost,no good there,and he really wasn't thrilled about the lack of sign,but I kept telling him that we will see some birds in the morning.

Up early Saturday morning and hit the woods we got set up and Al starts calling and not one bird or even a sound close although we did here some off in the distance and we tried moving to get closer,as we move to the 2nd spot found sign where a turkey had been killed and eaten along the fence line.We got set up and start calling on the 2nd stand and about 1/2 an hour later we see a nice tom about 100 yards from the first stand oops  :shrug:  and still no vocals from this bird
as the morning progressed so did the winds and the temps
No bird shot on Saturday  but I did promise Al Sunday Morning I will put birds in front of him to call I had no Idea how right I was   :biggrin:

Sunday morning up way before breakfast grab a cup of coffee and out the door by 5:30am Get in the pickup and drive just over to the otherside of the hill park the truck and step out thinking about waiting on some day light to get set up.We could hear the farmers dogs a barking off in the distance a coyote howle and a turkey gobble standing at the truck for another couple minutes a turkey gobbles no more then 50 yards from the truck  :yoyo:

Just breaking daylight we are set and ready to go.Al tells me kinda sounds like a Jake I am ok with that for my first turkey,and this turkey won't shut up he is hot and still on the roost.

Al starts giving this bird some soft yelps and scratches in the leaves after about 45 minutes this bird is on the ground made a loop on the hillside and is standing about 60 yards in front of me
looking right at me and the bead of the mossburg is on target.I can see this bird is a full blown Tom strutting and his head turned white,all I am waiting on is another 20 yards and this bird is gonna be mine,yeah right  :rolleye: A hen come in from the other side of the woods and give a couple putts and this gobbler shutup and went right to her Al kept calling and the gobbler would answer back and kept getting further away  :madd:

So we break stand to follow the gobbler and we chased to more gobblers off roost
We never seen or heard any of these birds the rest of the morning

Here is a video of are 3rd stand on Sunday

All I can say is I have 3 more weekends to get a bird

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

pitw

I'd say you had a pretty good time from what I read.  Glad you guys got out.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Keep after them, Bill.  You'll get ya one soon.  I know it!    :yoyo:

FinsnFur

I dont want to come off as rude or anything, but if I was walking up to you two characters in the woods and suddenly seen some dame come in was givin me some putts,  :eyebrownod: I'd head her way too.  :wink:

But hey, thats just the way I roll. :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hidehunter

Sounds like some exciting hunts.  I won't be able to make it out except on Saturdays but I just found out I may have the last week of season off  :yoyo:.   I usually do not like the last week but the way its going this year it may be awesome.
Denver                                           

alscalls

I had a blast Bill!!!!!! :yoyo: :yoyo:
I got ready thurs. after a public ground hunt...By practicing on my Trumpet call some........

Then on Fri. I drove to Bills and went hunting some real nice places........

Here is Bill hiding from the Turkeys......See if you can find him........... :wo:
We had a very exciting hunt Sunday....I could hear the for arm shaking on Bills gun as the bird strutted and gobbled just out of range....... :laf:

Then I came home to WV and went to put the birds to roost for our opener.
Showed up this morning and something had scared them off the roost as they had moved and there was mud everywhere on the old road....This Doe came for a visit and stayed quite a while...

Finnally found two gobblers willing to work and had them strutting just out of range for an hour and a hen took them.
So I decided to go visit my wifes cousin to see what he was into and found out what scared the turkeys.... :laf:

I asked could I go next time ...Looks like fun!

I had a GREAT time Bill thanks for having me up I felt right at home.... :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
No bird yet but I will be out everyday till I do! :wink:

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls