• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

squirrels galore?

Started by cathryn, September 24, 2009, 11:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I won't be picking it up, it will be owl food, additional fly food, or fertilizer right where it lands.

Jerry

JohnP

Every now and then I'll get a cottontail that has one.  Just pop them out, no need to cut off the whole leg.  They are lodged between the skin and the membrane on the body, never in contact with the meat. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

I'm with Jerry, if the critter don't look right its going in the ditch.

cathryn

frogman, i kow exactly what you mean, there are dead squirrels on top pf dead squirrels here.

i talked to a friend yesterday who said he though tit had to do with it being so dry this summer. either way there are alot of them here and alot of them have warbles(botfly larvae) if the ones round here close to the house ar e an overall indication.

we usually hold off hunting them till after the first hard frost causae they will come out then.

i aint ever been hungry enough to eat a warble infested squirrel, thank God!

some people down south call warbles "wolves", i dont know why but they do.

vvarmitr

Quote from: cathryn on September 26, 2009, 01:01:10 PM
some people down south call warbles "wolves", i dont know why but they do.
Wolves, like warbles, are parasites.  :sneer:
Makes sense to me! :eyebrownod:

cathryn

wonder why they dont call em yotes?  :biggrin:

vvarmitr

Wolves sounds scarier, meaner. ;yes;

Coyote is a little more derogatory. :huh:

coyotehunter_1

Quotesome people down south call warbles "wolves", i dont know why but they do.

Well cathryn, I reckon I'm some of those people down south  :eyebrownod: :laf:  They are called wolves here, that's all I've ever heard them called, I have no idea why.  :shrug: I know what they are but have never heard them called warbles until I read this topic. Must be a regional thing? :wo: :confused:

BTW> I thought a warbel was a species of song bird?   :shrug: :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

cathryn

them birds are called warblers, not warbles.  :biggrin: the sound it makes is called a warble though  :biggrin:

vvarmitr

Quote from: cathryn on September 28, 2009, 07:41:24 PM
them birds are called warblers, not warbles.  :biggrin: the sound it makes is called a warble though  :biggrin:
John James Audubon would have been proud!  :laf:

golfertrout

jim 500 to 600? :confused: thats alot of squacks

Frogman

Dave,

6 per mile x 85 miles = 510.  I would estimate some of those miles had more than 6.  In one 20 yard stretch I counted five dead squirrels.  Plus I was just looking at the right side of the highway.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

cathryn

Quote from: vvarmitr on September 29, 2009, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: cathryn on September 28, 2009, 07:41:24 PM
John James Audubon would have been proud!  :laf:

i missed my "callin", didnt I?  :biggrin: