• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

loopholes in coronavirus screening?

Started by Okanagan, March 13, 2020, 03:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My son returned day before yesterday from 30 days in West Africa.  Had supper with him on his arrival and  he was flushed looking and had a gastrointestinal bug.  He said that he had encountered zero screening on arrival in NY nor on his continued flight to Seattle.  Maybe there is a hidden temperature monitor screening passengers? 

If I'd known he was sick my wife and I would not have had supper with him, and we cut it short.  He has been mostly out of news etc. for many days and the situation is much more crisis oriented than when he left.  I don't think he has coronavirus but rather a typical west Africa gastrointestinal malady, plus headache. He is better today but not over it so I passed on getting together with him.

FWIW I am at risk of lung problems.  Any flu, cold, sinus infection etc. goes right to my lungs and I've had pneumonia several times.  Last two family docs in two countries have cautioned me that my lungs are prone to pneumonia and would start me on antibiotics early, plus in Canada they gave me a pneumonia shot each Fall, along with the flu shot.  We started cutting back on any size group contact with other people ten days ago and have been almost totally avoiding others for the past 6 days.

We expect to catch it but want to delay that as long as possible.  We are 42 miles from the elder care place in Seattle where 20 have died.    I don't have morning coffee with 3 friends anymore, wife cancelled a walk-on ferry trip to Victoria yesterday.  Did a quick grocery shop at 6 this morning, many shelves empty, probably should not have gone.  We can easily last a month with food on hand, and a lot longer with the meat in two freezers.  The next ten days will determine whether the peak will be an overwhelming spike of cases at once, or whether we slow the spread enough to make it a dragged out inconvenience.

nastygunz

They're cleaning the stores out over here, toilet paper bottled water etc.

JohnP

Okanagan - I think you are taking all the necessary precautions.  Surprised that no testing was done at his port of debarkation.  Stay strong and this too will pass.

My wife has all four of the major areas of concern - age - heart problems - diabetic and respiratory problems.  I can't slow her down she said that she has lived too long to let this damn "bug" keep her from doing those things that she wants to do.  We have a trip to CO planned for next month and are planning on going.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

Well, Ohio and Michigan schools: K-12 and colleges/universities are shut down for the next three weeks.  Some are setting up online class and some are just wondering what in the world they are going to do.  As for the toilet paper, water, and food situation it has rapidly disappeared.  We have three grocery stores in town and last evening one had no carts that were not being pushed by people, another had three registers open and lines that went to the back of the store and then turned, and the last one had lines (only) to the back of the store.  My wife went to Kroger (one of the groceries today) and said that there was no paper products, very few of the normal canned goods (peas, beans, etc.) except for some high end expensive ones and there were about five carts left at the front of the store.  She spent 15 minutes shopping and 45 minutes in line.  She then went to the meat store (small store that can hold about 30 people inside) and was there for over an hour.  Needless to say she is not happy about shopping like that.  I went to Menards tonight to get some sheet metal screws and people have found out that they have food since there were carts filled with it.  People are going crazy, but many of them will be able to wipe their backside for several years.  I bought all the toilet plungers so when they fill the toilet with all that toilet paper they will have to pay an extremely high price for one of my plungers.   :innocentwhistle:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on March 13, 2020, 06:58:36 PM
Surprised that no testing was done at his port of debarkation.

I forgot, I have a great-niece who was on a mission trip with 6 other girls from their college.  They returned and are now in quarantine. One of the girls (who had some flu symptoms) was tested.  They told her the test and having it read will be slightly over $3,000 dollars.  My great-niece said that the girl thinks that the test will be billed to her parents medical insurance which will not cover much of it.

JohnP

Fear and panic are contagious.  The government and news media will do more damage then this virus.

JohnP

They told her the test and having it read will be slightly over $3,000 dollars.  My great-niece said that the girl thinks that the test will be billed to her parents' medical insurance which will not cover much of it.

I think I would tell them to send the bill to China or whoever deemed it necessary that she be tested. 

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on March 13, 2020, 07:08:34 PM
Well, Ohio and Michigan schools: K-12 and colleges/universities are shut down for the next three weeks.  Some are setting up online class and some are just wondering what in the world they are going to do.  As for the toilet paper, water, and food situation it has rapidly disappeared.  We have three grocery stores in town and last evening one had no carts that were not being pushed by people, another had three registers open and lines that went to the back of the store and then turned, and the last one had lines (only) to the back of the store.  My wife went to Kroger (one of the groceries today) and said that there was no paper products, very few of the normal canned goods (peas, beans, etc.) except for some high end expensive ones and there were about five carts left at the front of the store.  She spent 15 minutes shopping and 45 minutes in line.  She then went to the meat store (small store that can hold about 30 people inside) and was there for over an hour.  Needless to say she is not happy about shopping like that.  I went to Menards tonight to get some sheet metal screws and people have found out that they have food since there were carts filled with it.  People are going crazy, but many of them will be able to wipe their backside for several years.  I bought all the toilet plungers so when they fill the toilet with all that toilet paper they will have to pay an extremely high price for one of my plungers.   :innocentwhistle:

Wow!  Our stores are empty of most paper, though I saw paper table napkins this morning.  Our run has been slower.  I haven't been out except early this morning, but haven't heard of long lines etc.  We just had a pretty quick depleting of cleaning supplies over a week ago, plus all cold meds, dried foods like beans and rice and canned goods pretty picked over by a week ago.  I was ahead of the curve on most of it, don't have hoards of anything but enough to get by for a few weeks.  Potatoes and carrots are almost all gone from stores, and for some odd reason, all the milk in the Wal-mart grocery store was gone this morning.  I went to QFC, more expensive, and they had plenty of milk. 

There is a certain blackberry preserve my wife loves and she was out of it.  Only QFC carries it and they had five small jars on the shelf, on sale no less.  I bought four and left the last one out front and took all behind it.  May have started a run on blackberry preserves!

Wish I'd thought of corralling the plunger market! 

Y'all stay safe.  I don't think the medical part is very bad for most people, but it is so contagious and spreads so fast that sick old people could overwhelm hospital ability to treat the bad cases.  500 cases spread over ten weeks at our local hospital might be manageable but 500 cases in one week is more than they can handle.

Son just called and we have good looking snow just above our elevation so we are going lion looking/hunting in the morning.  If we see any virus critters up in the snow we  will shoot them and leave them lay.

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on March 13, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
Fear and panic are contagious.  The government and news media will do more damage then this virus.

For sure.

Some of the news stuff is deliberately feeding panic, unconscionable-- if they had a conscience.

nastygunz

If the toilet paper runs out there's plenty of leaves and Pine needles in the woods  :yoyo: I got traps and guns and fishing poles, I wont starve.  Speaking of which, even if you're not an active trapper I would suggest laying in a supply of just in case traps, and some snares capable of taking big and small game.

FinsnFur

Yah I'm amazed at how the media is steering this thing through global panic :rolleye: It's quite frustrating.
I live in a very small community and the local stores haven't been raided yet. Not sure if it's because they know it's a scare tactic or if they just arent scared.  :shrug: The big box stores, Walmart, Costco, etc in surrounding towns have all been nearly emptied according to friends and family.
I usually go get weekly groceries every Saturday. I hit the walmart super center ..I decided to not even bother dealing with the BS at the stores and skipped it all together. There's nothing I absolutely have to have. And my upright freezer would probably keep me fed for a month or two.
I was proud of my kids reactions. "I dont care about a toilet paper crisis. I can wipe on anything. But because so many people fell into panic, now those of us that are trying to live normal are being forced to panic for regular groceries."
On a side note, were wondering if my oldest daughter may have gotten it. No way of knowing at this point I dont think.
She developed flu like systems, headache, respiratory and cough. She said the cough just kept getting worse and worse. After 10 days or so she began to feel piercing pain in her side from coughing so hard. I told her she needs to get to the doctor. When she finally went she was informed that she dislocated a rib from coughing so hard. The doctors said they were unsure of what she has but it looked like pneumonia so they were going to treat it as such. :iroll: She asked if it could be Corona and could they test her. They told her they didnt have a test for it.
I dont know if she had it or not, but the Covid19 virus does display pneumonia like symptoms :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: nastygunz on March 14, 2020, 02:24:52 AM
If the toilet paper runs out there's plenty of leaves and Pine needles in the woods 

Never ever have I thought of using pine needles to wipe my [prospectors animal] :alscalls:

Seriously though guys, I hope all of you and yours get through this little burp OK.  Dog dropper called last eve and I can tell you when your kids first words are,"No need to worry", it kicks in your worry gear right away.  Seems him and his buddy Lance were working on an oil site where the site manager passed out.  Said they were shut down, sent home to self isolate until further notice.
Personally I think this virus was released as a test so won't be too bad.  I also ain't blaming the chinese yet as I ain't got enough info.  The fact that Bill Gates stepped back from his company and other things coupled with the other high faluting scum who have stepped back recently concerns me. 
  As far as sheeple doing sheeple things like mass toilet paper buying, it's what sheeple do.  For this I blame the media and internet. 
  Who in their right mind would think sending in the military to control a virus is a good idea?  I kinda/sorta always thought the military was defence/offence not a way of transporting virus's around the country faster, but then what the [L] do I know.  Shutting schools in order to send the kids to daycares makes even less sense as at least with them in one school they are kinda shielded from other schools that may become infected.
Just some jumbled thoughts
Oh and Oke there were a 100+ elk over on my new land the evening before last according to my neighbors daughter.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on March 14, 2020, 06:25:19 PM

...when your kids first words are,"No need to worry", it kicks in your worry gear right away. 

Oh and Oke there were a 100+ elk over on my new land the evening before last according to my neighbors daughter.

Cool re the elk!  Should be sheds to pick up right now.  My cousins watch/follow the local herd and pick up sheds within hours of dropping.

Re phone calls from kids kicking in worry: You got that right!  Our older son got to be famous in our family for his calls from Emergency Rooms during his teen years.  They got to be in a pattern that would start, "Dad, I'm in the ER but first of all, I'm OK."

Or "Dad, the car is totalled but (brother) and I are OK."

That younger brother did some great parody skits at family gatherings of his brother phoning home from an ER or some outlandishly worrying place.  I.e. "Dad, I'm heading into the operating room, but am OK and will call you after surgery."  :huh:

That son now has four rambunctious boys/men plus two teen daughters and his first grandchild, and he now knows the toll of such calls to parents.  Makes for some fun rueful laughs. He's a better father to his boys than I was, and we are blessed.

Okanagan

Re Covid-19, daughter-in-law has offered to shop for us so we don't go into stores.  Wonderful offer.  We haven't needed anything yet. If it goes long, milk and fresh veggies will be our main need for resupply.

Our family grew up rural and simply keep stock on hand of most items without real planning or prep, merely for convenience if we get an extended snow storm etc. or are busy and don't want to take time to grocery shop for a week or few.  Plus buying in quantity and having some room to store stuff allows us to buy sales rather than as needed.  That is normal life for us and our kids but it has really paid off in this situation.  We don't have much hand sanitizer or fever meds but we have bleach and rubbing alcohol and make sanitizers/disinfectants.

Wow are we ever glad that we moved near our kids!

Spent much of yesterday 4 wheeling, dragging bottom in light fluffy powder snow.  No virus up there!  Saw a new jeep slid off where he took a logging road corner too fast (interesting skid marks and he was lucky the snow was deep enough to cushion things some).  Found several fresh bobcat tracks we didn't try to call, and came down the mountain in early afternoon when the late starters were zooming up windy steep logging roads too fast.  Good time with son.

pitw

Oke, shed hunters have been some of my most entertaining moments in the spring.  Dumb fnucks from the city with their quads come out and think they can free range.  Couple years ago a set of them dared park on my land to go explore, so I jacked up their trailer and removed their tires.  They were some pissed when they returned from their day of fun.  They had to rent a jack from me to get the tires back on and that was  :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Love it!  I don't know if I'd have the gumption to remove tires and then charge them for the tools to put the tires back on, but it is great.  My cousins check the elk on a couple of ranches where they have permission to hunt and shed hunt, plus there is a lot of public land hereabouts.

Gorgeous day here, not a cloud in our normally overcast sky, and fresh powder down to under 1000 feet elevation.  When I asked wife if she wanted to go for a drive up in the snow she said, "The view out our window is the best in the county."  So I fixed scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese out of our doomsday cache, and we hunkered here eating survival rations and gazed out the window of our hovel on a hilltop.