• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A few pics from my season

Started by BigB, May 22, 2011, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

Birds were tough this year.  For the middle of May, they sure were still henned up bad.  They usually aren't still in groups this large, as most of the hens fly down, mill around for a little bit, and then head off to go sit on nests.  It was really windy for the four days of hunting too, as the wind never did die down at all, even overnight.  With winds from 15-20 mph, it was tough to hear birds, and they weren't responding to calls either.  But, fortunately it didn't rain and we were able to see quite a few birds each day.  This pic is from the first morning.  It's not a good sign on the first day when you see flocks this large still.  :iroll:

After watching these for a little while, a jake comes strolling over to the flock.  I thought I was going to be able to see a good fight, but the tom chased him around a little bit to show him who was boss, and then they were like buddy buddy.  :confused:

A few more toms that we did see.  Not the best pics, but you can only get away with a little movement around these guys.

I was fortunate enough to be able to get a nice tom though.  1" spurs and 10" beard.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

iahntr

Congrats Brian. Cool old house pic there too.
Tuff year in Iowa this year too. Man for the wind.
Scott

coyote101

Great picture Brian.  :congrats: :congrats: Congratulations on the bird.  :highclap: :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

shaddragger

:yoyo: :highclap: :congrats: Congrats B! It was tough here this year as well. All season it was 2 days of rain then 2 days of 25 mph winds that kept numbers low.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Todd Rahm

Cool deal Brian.  :congrats: I like the pic of you and the bird in front of the old dilapidated house. That would be a cool pic in black and white.  :wink: Nice bird too. You guys sure know how to drive me nuts, knowing I want to pop one of those suckers.  :doh2: :wink:

HaMeR

Nice bird Brian!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  I hear ya on the movement!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Nice write up indeed. Congrats on that nice bird too.
Boy would I love to have that house :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bambam