• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first Gobbler

Started by nailbender, May 08, 2008, 06:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailbender

After months of planning, call practice and studying every tip I could find turkey season finally arrived.
The plan was to head out Friday afternoon in time to do a little scouting and maybe roost some gobblers.  That would allow Sat. and Sunday for hard hunting. That  was the plan anyway.
   Thursday morning my back gave out. Now it's ice packs and chiropractor treatments.  Friday more of same.  Rainy, windy weather so I stayed home. Forecast was better for Saturday, sunshine and the wind letting up late afternoon.

Sat. morning.     Two hour drive going over everything I've learned.  Check  in with the landowner and find out they are chasing strays and fixing fence in the section I had intended to hunt. He says he has seen a few across the road though.
   I decide to check it out.  It's already noon and the wind is blowing 30 -35 mph.  What the heck ,,  take a walk. Got geared up and headed up the ridge.  Crp field on top with some timber to the N. and South. Walked along the north side and called some, no response.  Probably can't hear me.
    Headed to south side and decide to have a rest. Set out a hen deke and got comfy where a terrace met the fence line and timber. Called a little an heard no responses. After 10 mins  a jake appeared 50 yds, out moving north.  He wouldn't come to me. He stopped 100 yds. to my right on the same terrace.  Tried to take his picture and he ran off.
   My phone rings and it's my buddy wondering how it's going( it's his family farm I'm hunting).  We visit a little and when I hang up I'm missing a glove.  So I finally stand up and am going through my pockets and looking around in the grass and

Sh#$#$#  Turkey!  Forty yards and closing!  I hit the dirt. The turkey is on top of the terrace and I 'm hugging the face grabbing for my gun. That bird comes right in to not 5 yds..  It's that doggone jake again! I took his pic and let him go. All the way down I'm telling myself to be ready when they come in and that bugger has caught me with offgaurd twice in the first 45 minutes!! :madd:

I decided to head north again.  Back is getting sore so I find a good spot to take a break.  Having a M.dew and smoke and
Dangit!  turkey!   Just a hen but I stub it out and get my gun up in case any toms are in tow. After 10 mins she moves off alone.  I call a few yelps and..  Was that a gobble?  I call again.  Oh yeah, Gobble! To my left quite a ways off.  I shift my position and get my gun up.  After 10 mins. I call again. Nothing.   10 more mins..  Nothing. 10 more. Nothing. :confused:
Aaw screw it. Must have been intercepted or wandered off.  Might as well have that smoke.

You Guessed It!!!  :laf:  Gobbler 40 yds. and closing fast!! :shck:  I stub it out and watch him start strutting at 25 yds... Come on turn around you bugger!  He finally shows me his backside and I my gun up.   Turn,,  turn,,,  BOOM!!!!    WOOOOHOOO!! :yoyo:

Thanks for all your help guys!   Brux

alscalls

Great story, I am happy for you..........That first bird is just enough to give ya the fever for life, Ain't it? :eyebrownod:
The power of that rush never goes away whether you kill one or a hundred of them!
Good job! :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao: @ the getting busted parts!! It's happened to me too & while it's not funny right away it will be!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Cool writeup & thats a heckuva nice bird you got there. You shoulda celebrated a bit with that bad boy!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

DirtyDog

Congrats!  :congrats: where is the picture of the jake.  :noway:

What a way to get your first bird.   :yoyo:

KySongDog

Nice story and pics!  You are hooked for life now!   :congrats:

Semp

coyote101

Congratulations nailbender.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Thats good stuff !  :laf:  :laf:
I've had hunts similar to that,
but they don't usually end up that way.  :laf:
Thanks for sharin it with us. Glad it worked out for ya.
Congratulations.  :congrats: :congrats:
Scott

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

kurt1022

I try to have a good outlook on life, but some idiot keeps standing up and blocking my view !

FinsnFur

Thanks for the write up.  :laf: We gotta get PX to publish that.

You had it going on and didnt even know it, did ya?
Beautiful job, now get those tail feather mounted so you can show it off on the walls. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

Great story  :congrats:  I'd get that tail and beard mount kit for sure !!

Lighterknot

Congratulations, and great story.  Everybody is right, that first bird is amazing and will always be remembered!
Chad

ErictheRed

Nice looking bird.  How do they do that?  :confused:

Kind of like duck hunting.  I can sit attentively watching the dekes all morning, and nothing.  Get the waders down to take a leak, and "in coming!" :madd:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

nailbender

Thanks guys!   Now the bad news,,,,,,,  Got it all butchered  and had the tail fan pinned and boraxed on a board out in the shed. Came home from work monday and the beard was gone!  :shck: Dang rodents must have taken  it! :argh:  Believe me I tore that shed apart looking for it but it's gone. 

iahntr

:doh2: Oh man, now that bites!   :argh:
Scott

HaMeR

:doh2:  That would pi,,,  irritate the heck outta me!!  :rolleye:  Hope you get lucky & stumble across it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

cb223

That really sucks.  Better go do some varmint huntin!
CHAD

alscalls

I had my biggest WV buck horns stolen. It dose suck... :sad: I hope you find it :pout: I know what that feels like. :argh:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nailbender

Talked to my friend down there today.  Said he picked a tater sack full of morels and saw a huge tom with it's beard draggin on the ground.   May have to make another trip and buy another tag! :biggrin: