• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Still Alive and Kicking

Started by JohnP, September 11, 2016, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Did I ever post the story about Juan, Jose and the Feral Cat or Gin & Apple Juice, both are just little snippets that she is "trying" to put together in one small journal.  Pat and Johnny might appreciate The Cobra Makes Beautiful Music.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Isn't it nice that John drops in and gives us 'just a hint' of what we might get to read?  No it isn't.  He needs to have his daughter do a cut and paste and get this out here so we can read more about it.  Come on John, we are waiting.    :biggrin:

Jerry

Coulter

Sounds like you're still living life to the fullest John...Doctors orders. Ha...I'd do the exact opposite of what my doctor says to, but he truly is a quack. I refuse to visit him at all.

Anyway...we're waiting pateintly for the Juan, Jose and the Feral Cat or Gin & Apple Juice stories. :biggrin:

Steve

HaMeR

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 27, 2016, 08:35:49 AM
Isn't it nice that John drops in and gives us 'just a hint' of what we might get to read?  No it isn't.  He needs to have his daughter do a cut and paste and get this out here so we can read more about it.  Come on John, we are waiting.    :biggrin:

Jerry

:confused: I hope those little snippets you're requesting don't hurt his book sales Jerry!!!!!   :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HaMeR on October 27, 2016, 04:10:53 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 27, 2016, 08:35:49 AM

Jerry

:confused: I hope those little snippets you're requesting don't hurt his book sales Jerry!!!!!   :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

I am sure that they will just convince all of us to buy the full set of 7 books.  Or was it 8?

Jerry

HaMeR

Yeah you're prolly right Jerry!!

AGAIN!!!  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

You guys sure are hard on a handicapped old man.  Mandy will be here today so I promise she will post one of the short stories. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: JohnP on October 28, 2016, 10:40:31 AM
handicapped old man.

John,

You can say what you want but we know you could probably still kick our backsides if you want to.

Jerry

JohnP

I was going to post about Juan, Jose and the Feral Cat but "he" said no, let's do one of the soldier tales.  Keep in mind that this was in the early 60's and the civil rights act was just kicking in and he was in the south. 

We had just finished a grueling 6 week survival training course in the swamps of Georgia, one young officer and eleven enlisted men. We had earned our Green Berets a few short months ago and this little exercise was the beginning of forming us into a team and learning how to work together as an "A" Team. We finished up on a Wednesday and didn't have to be back until the following Monday. We decided to take our time in returning and would only drive a few hours a day and enjoy the time-off after six weeks without a break living 24 hours a day in a swamp. While still in Georgia one of the guys suggested that we stop at the next motel, enjoy the pool then go for a few beers and have a good dinner. Sweet talking SOB that he was we all agreed and pulled into a motel just a few more miles up the road. After we settled in got cleaned up a bit we drove around until we found a nice, or so we thought, saloon. Did I mention that one of the team members was a man of color? As we entered the saloon all eyes turned and focused on us. We moved two tables together, drug some chairs around and all twelve of us settled in for some good cold brews, some pool playing and of course some story telling. Our waitress came over to the table to take our order, the Captain, being the senior guy at the table said: "we'll all have a beer, whatever you have on tap." She returned shortly with one beer and sat it down in front of the man of color. Then we heard from the guy behind the bar: "We now have a law that says I have to serve the "N", but we ain't got no law that says I have to serve the white trash that came in with him." We learned more about ourselves in the next few minutes than we had in the past six weeks, and it really was a team building experience. It cost us two nights in jail, and about $1,500 in fines and damages, a lot of money at the time, especially on a soldiers wages, but money well spent. We made it back to our home base a day late and we all had to report to the Group Commander in the morning. We thought the worse and knew our careers in the Special Forces was over, we would be returning to a regular army unit. The Group Sergeant Major had us all standing at attention when the Group Commander came in and started his tongue lashing, it must have lasted 5 to 10 minutes and he never stopped not once, screaming hollering and just plain cussing us out. Then with a smile on his face he said: "Job well done." reached over to his desk and handed our Captain a rather hefty envelope. Inside that envelope was about $2,000, a collection from the officers and men of the Command instigated by the Sergeant Major after the incident was reported. After we all got our share of what we paid we had about $500 left, which paid for a few kegs, and some burgers and dogs for all the men of our organization the following weekend.  We later learned that the collection effort was the idea of the Sergeant Major and he personally collected from the enlisted men and the CO personally collected from the officers 

Our young Captain went on to make full Colonel and was awarded the Medal of Honor, as was two of our Sergeants, unfortunately one was awarded posthumously.

HaMeR

It's all about teamwork!! Great read Mr. John!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Great story John!  I also know my father would have enjoyed reading it.  He was army.

Take care of yourself.

Dave

Dave

Loved it John!
Thanks Mandy for typing it up!

Hawks Feather

John,

You were a Green Beret and I sincerely thank you for your service.  Did you ever think that some of that service might be the reason you are not moving as fast now as you did then?   :wink:   Thanks for the story and also to Mandy for getting it ready for all of us to read.  Have you ever thought of getting a recorder and getting some of your stories recorded so that Mandy or someone else could get it preserved as a word document?  My dad was in Germany in WWII and he finally after me asking talked a little bit about his time there - usually only highlights like the towns they saw etc.  I told him once that he needed to take the tape recorder and record these memories so that I could share them with his grandkids, etc.  He said that it was a great idea but he never got around to actually doing it.

Thanks again for your service and story,

Jerry

Okanagan

Great story.  Made my day.  Fun read on the surface and deeply powerful.  Thank you for the effort that took to post it for us.

pitw

Never thought of asking for donations for my indiscretions. :innocentwhistle:
Great story.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 28, 2016, 04:06:36 PM
handicapped old man.

John,

You can say what you want but we know you could probably still kick our backsides if you want to.

Jerry

Yeah and don't think I haven't thought about it.

Jerry - ALL of my health problems are service connected, three Purple Hearts tend to have a little impact on a  persons body as does a parachuting accident and motorcycle incident.  I have told the kids anything they ask about, with little exception.  I started to tell Mandy about death on the Congo but could't finish it, maybe one day.  Suffice to say I was in the Congo when Idi  Amin Dada was in power in Uganda. I also have a 50cal rifle that seen and done things nobody should have to see or do.  I have tried to tell my son about it but again couldn't finish it.  I wrote a brief story about it, rolled it up and put it in the barrel, I promised that rifle to his son, so one of these days he will know about it.  There is a lot more to that story as I did go into some things about one of the Sgt's and our young Captain.

Anyhow I would not trade a day of my military service for anything, and if I could I would do it again.   

riverboss

Thanks John not just for the story's but for all you gave to all of us. Your a true hero! Along with others on this site and in the world.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

Quote from: JohnP on October 29, 2016, 12:02:26 PM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 28, 2016, 04:06:36 PM
handicapped old man.

John,

Jerry

Yeah and don't think I haven't thought about it.

:yoyo: LOL!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Thanks Mr. JohnP,  you were, and still are The Man. :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing