• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

2016-17 Duck and Goose Season

Started by zack.klan, October 21, 2016, 07:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zack.klan

It hasn't been the greatest season so far. Geese has been ok but could be better. Only shot a couple wood ducks so far this year. I got the first drake woodie of the year with a NorthBay Dweeter. I'm trying to convince Steve to make me a goose call. I'm slowly getting there, I think...... :laf:

Hopefully the birds pick up soon. We've been having nothing but rain the past 2 days and chillier temperatures so it should help the migration some. I've been hearing that central New York has had some good numbers of geese and Blue Bills passing through. Hunting on Presque Isle starts up on the 31st.

How has everyone else been doing?
Zack

nastygunz

I have not seen a lot of ducks or geese here in New Hampshire yet. We might be getting some snow this weekend.

FinsnFur

Its been slow here too. My brother came over last night to borrow the computor, said he wanted to order a mojo duck decoy. "I gotta try something different", he says lol

I got friends in northern WI that are talking about how dead things are up there too.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Jim they just need some North Bay Calls to liven things up a bit. :wink: No goose calls of course, just duck...right Zack :nofgr:

pitw

Geese are finally starting to leave here.  There were so many I couldn't decide which one to shoot. :rolleye:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I remember when I had my first goose call back in the day and played on that thing for about three months trying to use it and then finally during hunting season I was set up on the Connecticut River on a little sand bar with a few decoys on the end of it and two geese flew overhead and I honked on it a few times and I was more surprised than anyone when they turned around and come bombing in right and then I jumped up and whipped three shots at them and never touched them and they flew right off again.  I was pretty damn excited that they actually came into my call though.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Coulter on October 22, 2016, 04:25:13 PM
Jim they just need some North Bay Calls to liven things up a bit. :wink: No goose calls of course, just duck...right Zack :nofgr:
It's funny you say that Steve. This house is blanketed with calls that people have givin me in trade for web work and other things. Including a few beautiful duck calls from some fairly big names I guess. He played with a few of those and said he still likes his trusty worn out wood one. I'm not sure what that meant as a lot of them still are wood.
I need to find out what he's got. Whos call it is just for shits n giggles. Probably a Walmart call :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

I have a wooden goose call that got dragged up off the bottom of the ocean when I was a scallop fisherman in New Bedford Massachusetts and it still works!

Coulter

I know you had one of my old owl hooters from waaaay Back Jim. You still have that one?

That's pretty cool Nasty...nothing better than a call with some history.

zack.klan

I haven't given up on that goose call yet. :biggrin:
Zack

zack.klan

I can't upload pictures yet cause I'm still new and haven't reached the amount of posts needed, or I just can't figure out how to upload the picture after hitting "Insert Image", but I was able to hunt a new location yesterday. It's just a smaller lake but it was a blast being able to float and paddle around in my kayak and shoot a mix back of ducks. At first, it looked like it was going to be an unproductive hunt but it picked up. I shot the first duck of the day which was a drake gadwall, then came 2 ruddy ducks. The action slowed up again but I was able to end the hunt with getting a mature drake mallard and a beautiful hen mallard. They were a little iffy on coming into the decoys but the North Bay Bad Mojo and Dweeter struck again. I'm going to get a mount done with them together. I just haven't figured how I want them positioned. Any one have any suggestions???
Zack

Okanagan

That is a cool collection of ducks in one day and would mount together as a fascinating group, with always the story of the hunt to go with them!

Coulter

Need a little help there Zack :innocentwhistle:

At least one of us is out there hunting...

zack.klan

Zack

FinsnFur

Got two of em Steve. The owl and then a distress with the on board squeaker.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Coulter

Nice Jim! Now those are old...I still make the P-Bombs, but the styling is a bit different nowadays. That's actually one of my best seelig predator calls. I haven't made an owl hooter in years.