Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Non Hunting/Fishing Photos / Re: Too much fiber?
« Last post by FinsnFur on Today at 09:50:09 PM »
Now thats a LOG!
The Tailgate / Re: Tip of the day
« Last post by bambam on Today at 09:25:29 PM »

Envy is a waste of time , accept what you have , not what you want.
The Tailgate / Re: Hello From Alaska
« Last post by KySongDog on Today at 07:05:58 PM »
Good to see all is well with you and Dian.   Me and the boss might be heading back your way next year. Don't know for sure yet.

Johnny
Pick 'o' The Litter / Re: New pack member!
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 05:14:45 PM »
Beautiful dogs, they sure arent liking the heat and humidity!  They are definitely evolved for the cold.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
b
Pick 'o' The Litter / Re: New pack member!
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 04:38:39 PM »
Man those are striking markings on those dogs! 

That's the second swimming coyote I've seen in my life, and I have hung out around a LOT of coyotes and a lot of water.

The first one was 30 years ago in the Columbia River between Invermere and Radium, early Fall.  It was hot and dry and the elk were down in those vast swamps along the river there so my son and I went after them.  At one point where the river had a ten foot high bank on my side, I looked over and a coyote was in mid river below me, heading my way till he saw me appear.  Then he reversed course, looking back up at me over his shoulder once in awhile.

The river there is 60 feet wide or less, clay bank on one side and cattail swamp on the other.  A dead 5x6 bull elk was half in the water on my side and the coyote was coming over to eat.  Folks were sitting up on the side hills or railroad embankment, spotting elk out in the swamp and shooting (at) them at long range.  This bull was gut shot, dead.  We found two shot dead ones that afternoon and circling ravens indicated a third dead something. 

A swimming coyote, :nofgr:.
That is what I always heard.

I BELIEVE

The other stuff was pretty interesting too. :biggrin:
The Tailgate / Today in history 7-17
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 08:32:27 AM »
“Wrong Way” Corrigan crosses the Atlantic

Douglas Corrigan, the last of the early glory-seeking fliers, takes off from Floyd Bennett field in Brooklyn, New York, on a flight that would finally win him a place in aviation history.

Eleven years earlier, American Charles A. Lindbergh had become an international celebrity with his solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic. Corrigan was among the mechanics who had worked on Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis aircraft, but that mere footnote in the history of flight was not enough for the Texas-born aviator. In 1938, he bought a 1929 Curtiss Robin aircraft off a trash heap, rebuilt it, and modified it for long-distance flight. In July 1938, Corrigan piloted the single-engine plane nonstop from California to New York. Although the transcontinental flight was far from unprecedented, Corrigan received national attention simply because the press was amazed that his rattletrap aircraft had survived the journey.

Almost immediately after arriving in New York, he filed plans for a transatlantic flight, but aviation authorities deemed it a suicide flight, and he was promptly denied. Instead, they would allow Corrigan to fly back to the West Coast, and on July 17 he took off from Floyd Bennett field, ostentatiously pointed west. However, a few minutes later, he made a 180-degree turn and vanished into a cloudbank to the puzzlement of a few onlookers.

Twenty-eight hours later, Corrigan landed his plane in Dublin, Ireland, stepped out of his plane, and exclaimed, “Just got in from New York. Where am I?” He claimed that he lost his direction in the clouds and that his compass had malfunctioned. The authorities didn’t buy the story and suspended his license, but Corrigan stuck to it to the amusement of the public on both sides of the Atlantic. By the time “Wrong Way” Corrigan and his crated plane returned to New York by ship, his license suspension had been lifted, he was a national celebrity, and a mob of autograph seekers met him on the gangway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10