• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Need some help please ...

Started by GunDog, December 17, 2009, 07:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunDog

I'm fairly new to the reloading scene. I have four buddies here locally that load with lots of experience and have three different opinions from them already. Two of them are bench shooters, and they don't agree on everything either. We've loaded shot-shells before but never any rifle ammo. I'm looking to set my sons up with a complete outfit - would like a decent one, to load different calibers. Rifle & pistol.

Checking out the different presses online it looks like we can get a good setup "started"  @ Bass Pro here in Macon. They have the complete Hornady Kit, Lyman Kit, or RCBS Kits already put together. With that add all other goodies and be on our way. Was kinda wanting to stay with one name brand for everything?

I need to know the facts on carbide die sets or steel ones, and two or three piece sets? What's best and why? I know the carbides are lot higher in price! Assuming carbide will "out last" the steel, will it actually load a better round?  I was thinking of maybe buying the carbide for the guns we use the most and maybe steel for the pistols and less active rifles?

Next what press would you get? Sitting around a bench with my buddies loading on single stage presses I kind of like the idea of a progressive press, like my shot-shell reloaders. Of the one's mentioned I think the Lyman T Mag Expert is the only one I see that is progressive. Don't want to spend the money on a Dillon just yet.

What do you fellers with all the experience recommend and why please? Thanks in advance for any input into this thread!

johnoh

Well i am no expert on reloading, but I do a little and will try to help you out. I think a single stage press would be best if you are loading rifle shells, but if you are loading lots of pistol rounds a progressive would be better time wise for you.  I have a couple single stage that i use for rifle and low volume pistol rounds like my nefews 454 casull, and I got a lee progressive for my 357 the lee was cheap but there is a few tricks to keep them running well. I have a couple friends who have dillon presses and,well they are the best and there no BS warrenty is awesome. All the better company make really good stuff the only drawbacks I have heard is lymans not the best to deal with if you have any warrenty issues. The rifle ammo that I have shot out of a progressive was pretty darn accurate, If you have a lot of time and enjoy loading a single stage is great it all on what you have for spare time and how much yo plan on shooting. I went to the dillon site a 550 was $405 with a set of dies. So there is not much differenc in price. I hope I helped you out with my rambling.

HuntnCarve

I might be old fashioned, but I think if you are starting out a single stage press is the way to go.  It's not about speed, it's about precision, and doing things right.  I started out with the RCBS Rock Chucker kit.  I am still using it it.  I did buy the electronic scale and trickler/powder dispenser later on.  But the beam scale that comes with the kit is very accurate.
As for dies.  Carbide dies are generally used for pistol rounds on progressive presses.  They don't require the use of lube on the straight walled pistol rounds.  The standard RCBS dies are fairly inexpensive and will load quality rounds for you day in and day out.  If you want better dies look at the Redding and Forster Benchrest dies.
I bought a "Hand priming" tool (RCBS) and like using it to prime my cases.  Just gives you a better feel as you do the job.  The other thing I do is I use Hornady OneShot spray lube instead of a lube pad.  Just give the cases a spray, let them dry a minute or so, and start resizing.
The one thing that I find indispensible is a good case cleaner/tumbler.  I own a Lyman that I bought fairly cheaply.  Toss the dirty cases in there with the corn cob media, and let them work for a couple hours.  The cases look great, and it's much easier on your dies.
As you start reloading, you'll start picking up things like "neck sizing dies", and bullet seating depth tools, and fancier case trimmers.   Hope this helps.
Dave

Frogman

I know you mentioned that the Dillons were to expensive.  I agree with the above guys that a single stage is a good way to begin.  But a Dillon 550 would be great and cost effective as the time it takes to reload 100 rounds is cut by about two thirds.  The Dillon customer service is the best there is.  Sometimes you can find Dillon presses for sale in the ad pad papers or bulletin board papers.  Dillon even warranties second hand presses!  You can't co wrong with them!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

slagmaker

Carbide dies are used for pistol. The carbide makes it so you dont have to lube. Carbide dies for Rifle would be extremeley expensive.

A single stage press would be the best for a beginer. This will let you focus on getting everything just right. After you get to feeling confident a progressive press would be the way to go for doing large amounts of ammo.

the brand name isnt as important. I purchased the RCBS rockchucker kit and am very glad I did. I could have gotten the Lee aniversary kit for about half the price. They will both load ammo of equall quality.

On rifle dies you can get a 2 die set or a 3 die set. My lee three die sets have a full length die, a neck sizing die and a bullet setting ide. I like having both the full length and neck sizing dies. This way I dont need to change my dies when I change what rifle I am loading for. On my semi autos I full length size and on my bolt actions I only neck size. Unless the shells will be used for multipal rifles then I full length size.

Pistol dies come 4 in a set due to the extra step of belling the case mouth in prep for the bullet. Carbide dies are the way to go.

Best thing to do right now is get yourself a loading manual and read the introduction to reloading section. this will give you a lot of the information that you are looking for. If you get a KIT from one of the major Labels it will most likely come with a manuall so remember that when you get your manual. That way you dont double up on the same one right off the batt.

Staying with one name brand isnt necessary. I have RCBS, Lee, Lyman, and a few other types of reloading equipment all on the same bench and I can tell you they all get along with each other just fine. :eyebrow: Buying the kit can save you some money but you can save a ton of money by getting everyting you need one piece at a time on one of the auction sites. ie e-bay, craigs list and so on. But you can get started faster with a kit and then all you need are the dies. Well that powder, bullets and primers. You should already have the brass.

Remember you are thinking about starting a hobbie that some say turns into an addiction. Once you relize that you are addicted there is no turning back.

Never feel bad about asking a question. We are here to help. :yoyo:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Huntinbull

Carbide dies can be used for any STRAIGHT WALLED cartridges. As stated here it bypasses the lube stage. I believe a single stage press is a great way to start, because it forces you to slow down and learn the whole process. Reloading is not only about saving money, or better accuracy. It is also about safety. A single stage press helps you to learn the whole process and also lets you inspect more thoroughly. Double charges and such can really ruin your shooting day, and the whole rest of your life. Once a new reloader is familiar with the processes and the potential dangers, then a progressive can cut down on the time spent. You don't give driving lessons in a race car.
Huntinbull

Christian Outdoorsman. Certified Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor.

GunDog

Thanks for all the knowledgeable help and info fellers. I've already ordered the "Lyman kit" along with the tumbler, some dies, shell holders, extra reloading manual, etc. We're working on a room now to set it all up in when it arrives. The room should be finished within the next few days. Trying to decide now how wide the bench will need to be, we're going to run it the length of the wall  (10') with overhead cabinets in the center and shelves on each end.  I'll be relocating the shot shell loaders to it as well. Both my sons and I are looking forward to getting it finished so we can begin learning. I'll try and post some pictures as it comes together. Thanks again for all the information provided to us. 

I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas and that we're all blessed with good health and lots of coyotes in the New Year!