• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Done for the day so thought I'd share an event.

Started by pitw, August 29, 2010, 12:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

The frost we had last night has me shut down for the day as farmers evaluate the damage.  That and it is still only 40F out :argh:.  So I will share a story from yesterday[sorry no pics]. 
  I was up North east of my place 40 miles spraying for a new customer who had called a month ago to book me for desiccating his crops as he can't find anyone else to do it.  I was loading up for my second 200 acres when a voice scared the living[L] out of me causing me to jump almost as far as if I had saw a snake :shock2: .  This fellows neighbor had been driving by and saw me filling and stopped to ask if I would do 200 acres of peas for him as well.  Seems the guy he had booked to do them 10 days ago wasn't showing up and he was right frustrated.  I said I could swing it but that he's have to give me permission to hunt/call coyotes on his property[as well as pay] for the the quick service.   He got a look on his face that would make many cower in fear and replied "I don't let anybody run around and hunt coyotes on my land as they always want to wreck something".  I was  :shock2: out of my shoes and quickly stated,"You are willing to pay me $20 an acre to drive through your ripe crops but think I'll wreck your property hunting coyotes?".  He about had an epileptic fit over the $20 as he had already ascertained from the fellow I was working for that I was charging him $5.75/acre and said "What the [L] do you mean $20".  I simply said that I charged much less for cooperative landowners and smiled like an angel.  He took off in a huff and the other fellow laughed for a few minutes.  About 3 minutes passed and back he came to inform me the chemical would be by my truck in half an hour and that I could in his words"Damb well kill a couple coyotes". 
  After I was finished and loaded up to go home they both showed up again and we had a good chat about my hunting and I explained I wouldn't hunt on his place cause he didn't want me to but that his attitude had really sucked.  The other fellow said I was welcome anytime and then much to everybody's surprise Doug[the ignorant one] says,"I apologize for my earlier comments and thought about them all afternoon while hauling bales and watching you work.  I can see I've been wrong about my thoughts that all people are trying to wreck my property just by watching you try not to make any extra tracks at all". 
  He invited me up for coffee any time and wants me to do all his spraying now :biggrin:.  It's a good day when you can make a friend by being a dink :readthis:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Thanks for letting us in on that story.  He's  an unusual man you met, a rare bird who can learn and think a new thought, even admit he's been wrong or off base a little.

'Course we already know that about you!

My boys are partners in a business.  When they are talking to a potential new customer, there are certain warning phrases my son hears and he says some of them instantly up his bid by 10% and he keeps ratcheting it up the more it appears that they are going to be one of those "toxic clients."

Dave

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

I'm thinking Mr Redfrog must have been hunting on his land prior to this. :alscalls: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

An August frost is as amazing to me as a guy admitting he was wrong!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

pitw

I don't know a month I haven't seen snow and I'm  6 hours from the mountains.  The fellow called and I have to go back and do another 1/2 section. :yoyo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 31, 2010, 06:16:24 PM
I'm thinking Mr Redfrog must have been hunting on his land prior to this. :alscalls: :alscalls:

That would sure explain things.   :alscalls:

Nice story, Barry.    :congrats:

shaddragger

Quote from: pitw on August 31, 2010, 09:51:31 PM
  I don't know a month I haven't seen snow and I'm  6 hours from the mountains.  The fellow called and I have to go back and do another 1/2 section. :yoyo:

:bowingsmilie: Barry, you are an outdoor ambassador in a very cold place !
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

WldWldWest

Cool story with a good ending!

But with a name like Doug he had to be a good guy in the end! :yoyo:
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!