• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First DAy of Fall Turkey in PA

Started by zack.klan, November 01, 2016, 08:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zack.klan

My friend and I went out to some game lands this past Saturday to to try and shoot a thunder chicken. We walked in and found some birds. I was always told to break up the flock in the fall cause they will look for each other and group up again. So, we broke the birds up and found a nice tree to hunker down by. We let everything settle back down and I started clucking and yelping. We were getting responses back and thought for sure that we would get a bird for the both of us. About 20 minutes go by and we started to hear foot steps behind us. We slowly turn around and what do you know, some genius all mighty hunter was stalking our calling. :madd: I stood up, leaned my gun against the tree and asked him if he knew what he was doing? His reply was "Hunting turkey. What's it look like?" That was probably one of the worst remarks that he could've made. :nofgr: I asked him if he thought it was a wise decision to stalk the sound of the turkey? One of the first "safety tips" of turkey hunting is to not follow the sound of the turkey because it could be another hunter. Needless to say, the all mighty hunter got an all mighty lecture on how to not be stupid while hunting turkey. Since the hunt was kind of ruined, we turned the turkey hunt into a squirrel hunt.
Zack

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Coulter

Yep, and there's no shortage of stupid in these parts.

Hawks Feather

That is a great example of why I refuse to hunt on any 'open access' public hunting areas.  We have a public (DNR owned) hunting area outside of town that releases pheasants each year.  I have never gone, but have heard from at least a half-dozen who have had shot hit them.  Fortunately, it has come down on them and wasn't directed at them. 

Jerry

Dave

Wow that's scary Zack.
Same all over the state.  I've been in a few "State Park Management Deer Hunts" and I've had a few blasts of buckshot (it's buckshot only) go ripping through some thick brush within 50 yards of me.  Unnerving!  I don't apply anymore for those public hunts.  I do hit the state game lands here in SE PA for pheasants and spring gobbler, but proceed with caution. 

nastygunz

Up here a lot of people bust up the flocks and they can legally use dogs to do it too. I never have I usually just call  or intercept them on the travel route. Have you ever tried the kee kee call?

zack.klan

I've tried it before but I can't keep consistent with it. I've been working at it though.
Zack

FinsnFur

:wo: Sounds like he got lucky and dont even know it. Wow :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I have had more than one road hunting commando spot my decoys out in a field and start stalking them.