• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Yummmmmm

Started by nastygunz, February 23, 2019, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

For a few years now Washington State has had a road kill law that allows anyone to salvage the meat.   Everything has to be removed from right of way.  Grandson Cody has salvaged a few deer, one that was hit by the car ahead of him and he tossed it in his pick-up fresh fresh.  He also checked on one that was so badly bruised and bloodshot that he left it rather than try to salvage any meat.  Apparently the salvager has a week after picking the animal up to report it to the game dept. and I think that you can do that online.  I'm not positive on the details but it is pretty easy.

People abuse any law, and this one is open to abuse no doubt, but as intended, makes sense.

nastygunz

That's how i used to get my Partridge limit in Vermont every weekend when I was a young blood  :innocentwhistle:  they used to be a Roadkill Café here in New Hampshire.

Hawks Feather

And here I thought everyone in the land of 'fruits and nuts' only ate 'fruits and nuts'.

nastygunz

Or twigs & berries.... :innocentwhistle:

Quote from: Hawks Feather on February 23, 2019, 03:59:09 PM
And here I thought everyone in the land of 'fruits and nuts' only ate 'fruits and nuts'.

FinsnFur

That reminds me of the Tilapia fish controversy.
I've heard and read that the Tilapia was brought to the US to clean up our waters as they are a scavenger fish. They fish quickly became over populated and then became a problem. The government decided to harvest them and make them appear to be a healthy choice for human consumption, by pimping Tilapia as a highly coveted meal.

So California is going to use those tactics to clean up their dead animals  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Apparently Alaska has had a roadkill law for years.  A friend of mine told me that when he worked at a place for troubled teens in Alaska years ago, that the highway patrol and game dept. would phone them to go pick up dead moose.  The deal was that they went out instantly, middle of the night or whenever and started cleaning it ASAP. I don't think that it was a juvenile incarceration but some kind of privately run halfway house.

A lot of road kill I've seen does not look appealing or even edible but I've seen a few, and some that I saw hit, that should be good.

And I recall a rooster pheasant that flew into my windshield one Fall when I was going about 35 mph.  It hit in a low angle glance and some feathers came out as it landed in the ditch.  I jumped out, wrung its neck and took it home.  The bird did not have a bruise nor a scratch on it.  It was a little addled when I picked it up and I think it would have recovered had I left it alone.  Grain field bird, very tasty.

nastygunz

I picked a nice grouse out of the grill of my Jeep CJ7 once :yoyo:

pitw

Marty told me a story about ol' Bob Fisher[many stories about this character], said he was following Bob down the road one day.  Bob spied a Rabbit on the road and slowed up, reached out of his moving truck to grab said bunny.  Bunny was froze down and ol' Bob came flying outta the truck and was laying on the road when Marty got stopped.  Said after way too much laughter they got a chain out and pulled Bob's truck back onto the road and he went home with the prize.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

We also are allowed to pick-up road kills but like Okanagan said a lot of bloodshot meat. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

remrogers

My brother used to get two or three deer a year. Local WCO would give him a permit to possess and he would salvage what he could. Bloodshot  and scraps went to feed the dog. At least it wasn't wasted.

chieftain

Rem you remember musselshell gal .off of WAT....she had a very ILL experience with consuming some road kill..

remrogers

Need to make sure it is fresh.