• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

IOCTEC Callers

Started by JohnP, March 12, 2019, 02:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Anybody here have an experience with the IOCTEC callers?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

Quote from: JohnP on March 12, 2019, 02:29:17 PM
Anybody here have an experience with the IOCTEC callers?

NO
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Tried a used one for a half hour in my house three days ago.  Loud, lighted remote keypad, volume number between one and ten shows on keypad so you know how loud it is set before starting the sound.  No factory sounds on this one, but it played four various fawn bleats well, very good sounds IMO.  25 or 30 call sounds scroll through on the remote pad but none of them worked, apparently they are not on this machine.  The first five are mislabeled, but play the four fawn sounds, plus a garbled jack rabbit distress.  Cousin who got it second hand I think said that he put the five sounds on it.

No idea about battery life, remote distance, or any other field use factors but hope to try it with cousin one of these days.  It should work well and call animals with the fawn sounds now on it.

From looking at pictures of ICOTec callers on the internet, I think the one I handled was a GC500.

MI VHNTR

I've got a GC300 sitting new in the box. Just going by the initial inspection, it appears to be a nice enough unit. The sounds are supposed to be wildlife tech sounds. IF the snow ever goes away I hope to try it out.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

JohnP

Thanks, I was looking at the Gen2 GC500.  I have a wildlife tech caller but my grandson has his eye on it so I'm thinking I will be in need
of another caller. 

KySongDog

John, you might take a look at the Primos Alpha Dog caller. Sounds pretty good especially if you shut off the horn speaker and just go with the cone speakers.  Can be found for under $200. The downside is that it weighs about 4 pounds.

JohnP

Quote from: KySongDog on March 15, 2019, 08:04:50 AM
John, you might take a look at the Primos Alpha Dog caller. Sounds pretty good especially if you shut off the horn speaker and just go with the cone speakers.  Can be found for under $200. The downside is that it weighs about 4 pounds.

Thanks for the tip Johnny.  Primos for some reason or another never entered my mind - maybe old age.  I was surprised at the wide range of cost:  Primos=$325, All Predator=$270 and Amazon=$195.  Since I can hardly get out and about anymore I don't need a super duper caller.  Hell maybe I don't need one at all, but hope springs eternal.

I assume this is what you have and use.  Are the cone speakers the two on the side.  Four pounds isn't to bad, my WT is about the same or more.  Plus one of my grandson's will not let me go out alone - looking out for papa so he does all the heavy lifting.

KySongDog

The cone speakers are the two on the side.  You can use all three speakers, just the cone speakers or just the horn speaker.  I have the Alpha Dog and use it some but mostly use hand calls. I'd probably use it more if it weighed less and I wasn't too lazy to pack it.

In fact, the one I have now is my second one. I lost the first Alpha Dog in a fire but liked it enough to buy a second one.  It has the all the features I need and didn't break the bank.  Honestly, I think the Foxpro Inferno for $200 or the Foxpro Patriot for $139 would be good low end callers too but I have no first hand experience with them.  They are programmable like the Alpha Dog so you can put any of your favorite sounds on the caller.  The Foxpro callers weigh less to boot. 

An electronic caller is going to depreciate over time with new advances in electronics, etc.  I would not recommend spending a lot on something that is going to be worth less and less each month.  People called coyotes with scratchy Johnny Stewart records back in the day.  So I would say most of today's callers will get the job done. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on March 16, 2019, 02:24:47 AM
Can you shoot from your vehicle out there in the wild west?

https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/digital-game-calls/truck-pro-regular

Nasty, would a person need to have a camo truck for this to work best?

nastygunz

JohnP

Yes,but you need a CHAMP Tag which I have but will not hunt from my truck.

KySongDog

Quote from: nastygunz on March 16, 2019, 06:15:13 PM

OK, so it looks like I've got to set the ecaller 200 yards behind me where I can't see it and stop wearing camo.  Got it, thanks. 

coyote101

John,

Icotec remotes are supposed to be good up to 400 feet, non line of sight.
If you go with Icotec, get on their website and check out the veteran program . They give a 20% discount to veterans and first responders. 

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

JohnP

Thanks for the tip Pat.  I'm going to go with the IOCTEC Gen2 500.   One grandson got my wildlife tech, another my FP Fury, I'll keep my little Scorpion for a backup and use the IOCTEC as a primary.   

I don't normally go out and call to kill from mid-Feb till 1Sep but will give this caller a try once it gets here.  I'll take my camera not my rifle.

KySongDog

For what it's worth, I think MFK has dropped ICOtec (or vice versa) and is now endorsing Foxpro.  On the plus side, ICOtec has JD Piatt and Tyler Higgins which are two of the best callers in the business.

JohnP

I went with the IOCTEC Gen2 500.  Have not been out in the desert calling and probably will not be until this coming fall.  But the neighborhood dogs have all responded to it.  The guy next door was asking me if I heard all the ruckus last night.  Said he heard coyotes howling and what sounded like a jackrabbit screaming.  I told him I heard it and he should not be surprised if he hears more as once a coyote finds a good hunting area they will stay as long as the food supply is there. 

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers