• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New Membergroups

Started by FinsnFur, June 29, 2007, 08:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

We currently have 6 stock member groups covering members up to 1000 posts. Which can be be altered to almost anything anyway.

The membership is growing, the post counts are rising and I'd like to add some more groups to go with with the new post counts.
Looking for some ideas here for some new groups, gimme your input  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

awh

I vote Semps says Jim & Bops dad. :biggrin: Or old fart, he uses that line alot :biggrin: :biggrin:

1) Official Frog Hater , 7 stars, or 1 your choice
2) That's all I have....Seriously, I really have been drinking (Friends came in from Tenn with some honey lemon shine and I need to sleep now
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

nailbender

How about indian names,, like bleeding fingers or nevershutup :eyebrownod:

FinsnFur

LOL I like that idea nailbender  :laf:

Danny.....you better bring us some pics, and dont be dancin on the tables
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

BasinBoy

Quote from: nailbender on June 29, 2007, 10:24:18 PM
  How about indian names,, like bleeding fingers or nevershutup :eyebrownod:

lmao :hahaha:

HaMeR

:laf:  @ the indian names.

Royalty names like "Sir Postalot" or "King Quickfingers". :shrug: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

I think you need to take 'membergroups' to a whole different level than the traditional post count approach. Something along the lines of earning merit badges..... Craftsman, Turkey Hunter, Fisherman, Predator Hunter, Trapper, Tanner, Shooter, Cook, Jester..... and create special orders that folks can be nominated and earned/voted into.... Order of the Woodsman, Order of the Call Maker, Order of the Greasy Spoon, Order of the Skunk, ......

It could be driven off post counts in particular forums or combinations of forums, but ya might need to differentiate between stuff like  :wo: Posting a great joke vs shooting beer through your nose in response to reading it.  :shrug: or at least consider those as seperate merit badges  :confused: Maybe by differentiating between threads started vs posting in a thread.... or folks being able to mark a particular post with a 'recommendation'.

:shck:

Think of the additional stuff that might come out of it ..... Challenge Coins, Secret Handshakes.......
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Shooting beer through the nose  :roflmao:

I like that Stu, pretty clever idea. But tell me more. I dont think I'm grasping the entire thing.
And would we have people that belonged to many groups?....how would they be titled or labeld?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

:wo: Crossdressers  :shrug:  :puke:

Actually, I would think that to be the goal.... earn merit badges across many disiplines, and recognized/inducted into an "Order' based on TBD criteria.

I would envision to be inducted into say 'The order of the woodsman', you would have had to contribute [meaningfully  :confused: ] in a number of different disiplines. Where as the 'order of the cook' might require contribution of a multitude of items within a disipline. Order inductions typically involve cerimony, so maybe the 'order of the cook' induction involves a cook off at an FNF gathering, or 'order of the jester' requires a stand up comedy routine before the goodie giveaway at the LBL hunt.....  :wo: Maybe there is already an inductee and we didn't even know it  :shrug:

:eyebrow:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

:confused: I have no idea what you just said  :nono:

I mean break er into dummy terms.

There is a feature on the board that gives Karma. Good Karma and bad Karma to people. Kinda like reputation points.
I got that turned off because I figured it would just cause chaos between members, plus couldnt find out the whole Karma thing would be beneficial..or useful
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

I was just spitballing...... but for chuckles.....

As you well know, what ya got here is a database run by an application that manages and accepts inputs in a structured way, provides output of those inputs in various forms, does some level of analytics [ie post count], and provides some level of functionality based on those analytics [ie. assignment of members to groups based on post count]. A forum record has a bunch of fields that define it as a unique record in the database and provide correlation accross fields and between fields. Obviously, what you can do is a function of the applications capability. There is also some sort of member table in the database that keeps track of a number of fields [some static ie name, some dynamic ie membergroup]. The fields and number of fields that the app supports in the member table will probably gate what ya can do.

Conceptually, the application has the capability to determine stuff like which forums a member has posted in, how many threads they started, and I'm betting that karma feature provides for a way for other members to input a thumbs up/ thumbs down on a given post, giving you a post quality attribute.

The thought was.....

A disipline is a specific forum category..... Birds, Predators, Fishing, Trapping, Cooking, Humor, Tailgating[?], etc.
A member could achieve a 'merit badge' in a given disipline based on things like... number of posts in that category, number of threads started, etc, possibly tempered by the quality rating of their individual posts..... example 25 posts in a particular category/disipline that have a two thumbs up or better quality rating qualify that member for achieving the merit badge for that category. You could even provide additional weighting for things like starting, participating in, helping with, or contributing to a community activity. The notion here is a system driven and managed set of member activity based groupings.

Orders could be done similarly based on a specific grouping of earned merit badges ie. The order of hunting partners could require the achievement of shooting, humor, and cooking merit badges...... Or ya might want to add some human intervention to further differentiate qualifications for induction [hunts attended, existing order member vote, etc] This might better insure qualified membership vs internet jocky driven.

The whole thing is probably goofy, but some sites utilize some fairly robust member activity driven recognition which I assume has been correlated to membership growth, increased participation of the members, and member fun.

Activating the quality [karma] attribute might also give ya stuff like 'post of the month, joke of the month, etc]

.... course ya could just add a 'needs a woman' membership group for guys with over 2000 posts and be done with it.

FinsnFur

ROFLMAO!!  :roflmao:

As I started to read that, I was basing it off my last reply for you to break it into dummy terms. So after the first couple sentences I thought to myself, "that sumbitch is calling me a geek." He's doing this on purpose because he knows I can understand the PC lingo"  :huh:

Then your very last sentence gutted me  :laugh2:  :laf:
Quote from: studabaka on June 30, 2007, 02:08:35 PM

.... course ya could just add a 'needs a woman' membership group for guys with over 2000 posts and be done with it.

Your killin me

I think your right though the Karma thing MIGHT be taylorable...I've never dinked with it. It's original intent just doesn't do anything for me.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

How about Stranger, Needs a woman, and Get a job. :biggrin:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

studabaka

:eyebrow: Sorry..... ya kinda leaned into it  :innocentwhistle:

Does the S/W allow you to assign members to groups on a basis other than post count? ..... and let ya define the what/how of it?

HaMeR

I was following along nicely until it was put into "dummy terms". :shrug:

:roflmao:

I think 5 SHOTS has a good idea too. But what about the "happily" married posters with over 2000 posts?? :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

5 SHOTS

sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

That's how I felt HaMer, I was lost till he put it into Dummy terms...I'm sacred of WHY though  :huh:

Yeah Stu, member groups can be based off something other then post counts...and the something other can be whatever...but it's more of a permission thing since the new member group name wouldn't show up under the persons name like these do now.

For example, I make a new group called best fishermen. It would have to come with some special permissions, otherwise it's just a name no one sees or feels. Put special permissions on it, then that group has permissions others dont, but it remains unkown to the others since the default post based groups will always over ride.
But a member could belong to many groups.

[hide] We use that now for the members forum. Those members belong to two groups[/hide]
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

In theory I think the idea is great. In practical terms, I can see problems with it.  With any system, people will find a way to beat it. That's human nature.  Plus there are lots of judgement decisions about what is "good" or "not so good" or "bad"  that have to be made.  By whom?  Hurt and hard feelings might be the result.  Cliques will form. 

I am not against the idea, just wondering how to make the system "fair" and manipulation proof.   :wo:

If ya go forward with it though, put in a Blather Master category.  I think I got a good shot at that one.   :biggrin:

Todd Rahm

"Merit badges" Next you'll want to be selling FNF Cookies at the entrence of my local WalMart.  :laugh2: