• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Singles or Doubles....

Started by centerfire_223, November 04, 2006, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfire_223

Now that is the question. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather call in singles than doubles. I base my decision on the following trip this morning.

JB AKA Nubs and myself went out this morning to make a couple of stands. We started out on some property that Nubs has permission to hunt. Great looking ground by the way. We made 3 dry stands before we got any action.

We started the fourth stand with me watching a road that went in between two ponds  and some very thick woods. I knew that if we had any takers they would most likely hit the road and come in that way. Nubs was planning on doing the calling on this particular stand. So I set up with my gun trained on the road. About 30 seconds into the stand out pops two coyotes on the road coming toward me at a trot. I pick out the biggest one of the two and train my gun on him. All the time I was running through my head how I going to kill both of them coyotes. I had it figured out, shoot the first one with the rifle and then pop the other one with the shotgun. Simple huh, well they got to about 50 yards and the female decides something is up and she starts to turn and head into the woods. The male dog must be thinking the same thing because he is turning too.

Now here is where the fun comes in. I put the crosshairs on the male dog and pull the trigger, but my mind is telling me to hurry and get the shotgun on the other one. So I think what I did was sort of shoot while moving. Anyway I made a bad hit on the male dog, its spinning round and round in the road. Mean while the other has left for parts unknown at MACH 16 speed. I watched the male dog run down into the swamp and I thought I heard it crash but we couldn't find it. We did find a big piece of meat and bone in the road where I shot it though.

That is the first coyote I have ever hit that I didn't find with my .223. If I have my choices I would rather call in one at a time!!!!
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

slagmaker

Good story. Too bad about loosing the dog tho. Next time just shoot the bigger one
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Jeb

Well its good to hear that you can atleast find somewhere to call without deerhunters. Woods over here are now FULL of deerhunters and will be for some time. Thanks for sharing the story, keeps me pumped.
                               Jeb

FinsnFur

I know you know what your doing Ronnie....but have you ever tried calling the runner back on a double?
I've only called a few doubles in my time,  all but 1 I think we were able to call the runner back. Yote distress works wonders in that situation.

This reminds me of a story Tony Dorschner (sp?) from the Varmint Hunters org told me. They were out doing a contest hunt, called in a double, whacked one, and they were able to call the runner back...but it actually stood over the corpse of the other one and howled  :shck:

Good call job by the way  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

canine

If you have 2 comin in that you are definate that it's a mating pair, shoot the female first then as Jim says hit the coyote distress quickly. Open terrain, i'd take the farthest coyote and jump on the coyote distress.

C'mon Ronnie, 2's always better than 1 you know :innocentwhistle:

JD