• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Who uses a Crossbow?

Started by KySongDog, September 05, 2009, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

I was wondering if any of you use a crossbow?   With the shoulder surgeries I've had I've been thinking of trying one.  Kentucky has opened up some on the crossbow season so there are more opportunities to use one.   I know nothing about them so I'm not trying to start a flame war between the longbow, compound bow and crossbow guys.  Just trying to find out the pro's and con's of using one and what to look out for.    :wo:

Bills Custom Calls

The crossbow is harder to pull but you get to use both hands and a foot to pull and lock it
I went to using a cross bow after I broke my elbow because I couldn't hold a compound steady last year was the first time I used a compound in 10 years

With a crossbow you don't have to worry about getting full draw and holding it till the deer presents itself for the shot
Some folks up here call a cross bow a string rifle cause you lock and load then point and shoot
a cross bow has the recoil of a .22 rifle so that shouldn't bother your shoulder any at all

Hope this helps
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HuntnCarve

I use one here in PA in the Special Regulations area.  I bought a Excalibur Exocet two years back and absolutely love it!  It's taken over twenty deer in the past two years.  It's a 200Lb draw weight.  But it uses a cocking rope (the rope has small pulleys that work in conjunction with leverage) that makes it very easy to cock. -It uses your back muscles verses your arm muscles.  On mine, you sight the scope crosshair in a 20 yards.  -And the subsequent "hash marks" in the scope are automatically sighted in for 30, 40, and 50 yards.  The Excalibur is scarey accurate.  I will not shoot at the same point of aim at 30 yards out of fear of splitting my bolt!  For me personally  deer hunting, I limit myself to shots under 40 yards.
The first year I got mine, I lent it to a friend and his nine year old daughter.  She shot her first buck with it the very next morning.  A fat 6pt taken with one shot at 30 yards.  My friend (and a bunch of other friends) all bought Excaliburs the next year.  I can't say enough about them.  Best money I ever spent!

Dave

HaMeR

I use a Horton & Dave is dead on with it's accuracy. WOW!! That thing will split bolts quick!!  :yoyo:  They have several cocking devices on them to make it easier. The system Dave uses I think eases the draw weight by 50% IF I remember correctly. There are other types that use a crank handle & you just crank til it's cocked.

The Horton bows,, or at least mine has to have the safety in the Fire position when being cocked or it won't engage the string. Keep the string waxed & the rails lubed with the proper lube.

I use a mechanical broadhead & they have always worked flawlessly for me. I've also found that they shoot close enough to the POI of my practice tips that it's a matter of shooting one or two broadheads at the target & I'm ready to hunt. Diane will use it again this fall for her 1st deer. HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Thanks for the replys.  Another question:  Is there any significant advantage to a particular draw weight?  In other words, is a 200lb draw weight better or worse than, say, a 150lb draw weight?   Is there a minimum weight for hunting? 

HuntnCarve

Semp,

Chips my next door neighbor, and hunting buddy bought a Excalibur Vixen 150Lb draw weight crossbow a few years back.  He's gonna turn 80 years old, and had bypass surgery done a few years earlier.  Anyway, he got the crossbow so he could still hunt archery. He has no problem cocking it with the rope aid.  It's a pretty fast crossbow.  Those bolts really zip out of there.  Compared to my 200Lber there's only a very slight difference.  Mine is shooting 330 Fps vs his at 275 fps.  The difference is in the flatness of the trajectory as you exceed 20 yards.  The Excalibur's scopes are set by a "fps" ring on the scope that automatically compensates the internal hash marks for the ranges over 20 yards (30, 40, 50yards).  You just have to sight it in at 20 yards, then set the Fps ring to whatever velocity your crossbow is rated at.
Here in PA the draw weight minimum is 125 Lbs, and the maximum "was" 200 Lbs. -They changed it this year to unlimited maximum draw weight. -I've only seen a 225 Lber (Excalibur ExoMax).  The best thing for you to do is to go to a "archery shop" and test fire a few, at the different draw weights to see what you are comfortable loading?  I'd personally go with the most Lb's you can handle.  

Dave

Check out the following link for a starter.

http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=47

KySongDog

Thanks, Dave.

I have also found some good info on the Ky Hunting site.  I'll check out that Excalibur link too. 

vvarmitr

Ahhh, I like 'em! :biggrin:

BTW You can get scope eye from 'em.  If you'll notice the the red spot  I have between the eyes.  :doh2: 

I like X-bows cause they are more like rifles, trigger, stock, & scope, w/ the limited range of an arrow.

JDMiller

Semp.... I've killed whitetails & wild boar with a #150 Parker compound type crossbow. So.... with this type of crossbow... I honestly dont see much need for more draw weight for hunting in Kentucky . Most of the hype on increased draw weights is really just increasing speed... which tranlates to the arrow being stuck in the ground a little deeper after a pass through. Mine shoots around 320fps.... plenty fast.  More weight ....more speed .... more wear & tear on the strings & cables...increased noise ..ect.

The only real exception is when your discussing recurve type crossbows....like Excaliber. You will notice on this type most of their models minimum draw weights will begin at 175# or higher. The higher draw weights again relate to speed... more poundage is necessary. A 175# recurve crossbow.... is very comparable performance wise to the 150# compound crossbow.

Other pros & cons...

Recurves  pros.... change string without press, overall easy to maintain....one string..no cables ,wheels or cams.

Recurve cons..... overall width ..tip to tip wider than compound type which does create issues with blinds more than treestands.

Compound pros.... more speed at lower draw weights, Narrow limb profile.... blind & treestand friendly.

Compound cons..... need press to change string, more maintenance.

In my opinion ...its a toss up.

Excaliber, Ten-Point, Parker , Horton.... all good hunting crossbows.   

Rem700

The only difference in draw weights, performance wise, is how far the bolt is going to go after it passes thru the deer, I draw my 150lber by hand, any more than that and a cocking device would prolly be needed...jsb

HaMeR

Semp-- The 1st thing you need to do when you pick one up at the store is pay very close attention to where your thumb & fingers are on the fore end. Most cross bows have a finger groove running up both sides of the fore end. If you get any fingers or your thumb too far above that groove the string will rip them real good. It will be something that only happens once tho.   :laf: 

I prefer a peep site & pin too. There is no mechanical failures & you only need one pin. The peep mount on Hortons have a dial that raises the peep 10yds for each click. Mine works perfect at 10 & 20yds. At 30yds I hit the bottom of the 3" circle on my target. Still a dead deer. I have no idea where 40yds hits tho.

Diane & I can put up a little video or some pics of what I mentioned.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Here you go Semp.

OUCH!! SUMANA,,,,  :argh:

:biggrin:   :yoyo:

This is my 20yd setting. I usually set down & range a couple trees & leave it on 2. I aim a little low for the closer shots & a little high out to 30yds if I don't have time to adjust it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Thanks for the pics.  I see what you mean about watching where you place your fingers.   :eyebrownod:    Sort of like placing your weak hand thumb on top of your strong hand and behind the slide on a semi-automatic pistol.   Ouch!   :laf:

HaMeR

Yep!!!  :laf: :laf:

:whew:  After I posted that I was really hoping you didn't think I was talking down to you. Which I wasn't. I just didn't want to read about your fingers or thumb getting lopped off. Especially since I know 1st hand how easily that could happen to a fella.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Quote from: HaMeR on September 06, 2009, 09:49:23 PM

:whew:  After I posted that I was really hoping you didn't think I was talking down to you.

Talk down?  :confused:  Naw, I needs ALL the help I can get!    :eyebrownod:

I started to say "Talk down, naw, you are one of the guys I look UP to, Glen."    But then you'd know I was BSing ya for sure.    :roflmao:

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:  Well then it looks like ANOTHER quality post from HaMeR!!  :yoyo:

Been awhile since I had one of those ya know.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Quality?  :wo: I think Semp was just being nice  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

:sad3:  Leave me alone!! It WAS a good post dammit!!  :sad3:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Semp,

Glen has covered things very well.  I have the Horton @150# and really like it.  I visited Horton http://www.crossbow.com/customer  and then gave them a call to see if my ideas were right.  Everything that I read said that the 150 would take care of deer with no problems and that is what I was looking to use it for.  All three of the deer that I have shot with it have passed through the chest cavity and turned the lungs to jello.  One dropped right where I shot it and the other two ran about 30 yards.  I had a red dot sight on mine - it has three dots for the different distances, but bought a scope for this year.  The red dot was fine, but I think the scope will work better for me in the last two minutes of the hunting hours.  The red dot worked fine, but seeing the deer was where I was having the (very slight) problem.  I "think" the scope will take care of this problem.  There are some used crossbows that can be found, but you need to check the strings to make sure they haven't started to go.  You really need a press to replace the string.  I have the cocking string and it not only makes it easier to cock, but also allows you to keep the string straight.  From what I have heard, you can pull the string off center which will cause erratic flight.  I have not had the problem and haven't even tried to do it, so it could be an old wife's tale.  I put a couple of marks on the string when it was not cocked (used a magic marker) and then use the cocker and keep the lines along both sides of the rail.  It is fun.

Jerry

Jeb

Quote from: HuntnCarve on September 05, 2009, 07:27:00 AM
I use one here in PA in the Special Regulations area.  I bought a Excalibur Exocet two years back and absolutely love it!  It's taken over twenty deer in the past two years.  It's a 200Lb draw weight.  But it uses a cocking rope (the rope has small pulleys that work in conjunction with leverage) that makes it very easy to cock. -It uses your back muscles verses your arm muscles.  On mine, you sight the scope crosshair in a 20 yards.  -And the subsequent "hash marks" in the scope are automatically sighted in for 30, 40, and 50 yards.  The Excalibur is scarey accurate.  I will not shoot at the same point of aim at 30 yards out of fear of splitting my bolt!  For me personally  deer hunting, I limit myself to shots under 40 yards.
The first year I got mine, I lent it to a friend and his nine year old daughter.  She shot her first buck with it the very next morning.  A fat 6pt taken with one shot at 30 yards.  My friend (and a bunch of other friends) all bought Excaliburs the next year.  I can't say enough about them.  Best money I ever spent!

Dave

My oldest son also 2 years back picked a bow like yours. He killed a doe at 60 yards, dropped her in her tracks ! 3 Years ago , a member  of our club almost shot his left thumb off using a crossbow. He had his thumb sticking up above the rail the string follows down. Ouch.........