Reloading for the 8mm RM

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, January 26, 2020, 03:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

​My son and I were "testing" today.
No wind and not freezing, no mud.

We had a ton of stuff to test too.

17,7mm/0,7mm/30 Waters.8MM RM.

For whatever reason, we just ant get the magnetospeed to work at all. It sure would help, not a lot of load information of the 8mm. The 17 had 2 groups of 5 loads to test, one was very promising. The 7mm/08 he was trying three groups of 3 with heavy for the caliber bullets, I think he said 167 Bergers. He found all 3 shoot VERY good and will explore them some more. The Waters was just practice. Then the 8.

We would shoot 3 and then something else.

Mag Pro with Sierra 220's and Barnes 200's.

None of which worked remotely well and it was the only one that showed any sign of presser, stiff bolt at max.

They're all very upper-end loads and should shoot very near or over 3000 fps.

We tested h-1000 in both Not very impressed with the Barnes but the 200's shot very well like an inch. We can't go higher with it, just ant get anymore in the case, as it is you really have to stand on it to get the bullet seated.

Reloader-26 was also tried. It did nothing within parameters with the 220's but produced a very workable load with the 200,s We will try it some more still able to go up a little more. It looks like we picked the two we will work with. 54 test rounds with 2 factory loads to foul with, I cleaned it twice in the test. I sure can tell the 220 from the 200, WAY more recoil out of the 220's. Testing at 100 yards.

I stand by my statement that my 870 has a lot more felt recoil than the 8mm RM.

â€‹
old is the new young

remrogers

I recall an article written by a "Gun Guy". He had purchased two revolvers that had consecutive serial numbers. One shot anything he put through it and a very good job of it. The other never was consistent and he finally sold it. As I recall, the one usually shot patterns that looked more like a shotgun than anything resembling a handgun. They are all individuals and all you can do is try to find a load that particular firearm likes.