• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

AR-15 Recommendation ??

Started by FOsteology, November 21, 2012, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Crazy times call for crazy schiet. Looking for a good AR-15 that is rock solid reliable.
It ain't gonna be a hunting rifle....

What brand should I be looking at boys?

I currently have a LWRC M6A2 6.8 SPC with an L3-M845 night vision scope that I use primarily for hunting feral hogs at night. Next AR-15 will need to be more affordable (to include ammunition). Needs to be light weight (no more than 7lbs naked).

I'm assuming one's marked 5.56 NATO even though .223, it's not advisable to shoot .223 Rem ammunition through it?

Looking for specifics gentlemen....

Much obliged.

riverboss

Rock river is hard to beat. Stag is a good gun and Smith and wesson.I believe 223 and 5.56 will shoot in either but i know 223 will shoot in a 5.56 or a wylde chamber. Also DPMS are good to go.

coyote101

FOs,

I like Bushmaster, but that is probably because that is what I own. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mil-spec guns. I doubt if anyone on here knows more about black guns than WldWldWest. I would seek his input.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

I can recommend one of these:

At 8 pounds its one pound over your limit but I think the extras it has is worth it.

Rock River LAR-15

Jeb

I've read more than once if the gun is marked 5.56 you can shooter either one in it bit if marked for 223 shoot that ammo only. Good luck.

FOsteology

coyotehunter_1

I don't know squat about black rifles but here is a link to a Gun Digest article on the 5.56 vs 223 debate.

http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-reviews-articles/223-vs-5-56
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

QuoteCrazy times call for crazy schiet. Looking for a good AR-15 that is rock solid reliable.
It ain't gonna be a hunting rifle....

Not being an expert but started to reply when i first seen this but computer problems plaguing me.

However I was going to recommend the Sabre Defense AR-15 M5 Tactical Gas Piston Carbine as a SHTF AR.

Quotehere is a link to a Gun Digest article on the 5.56 vs 223 debate.

Chet the article you posted is so full of chit I had to put on my Muck boots before reading. :rolleye: SORRY
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

I just want 25 lbs of Southern Thunder :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

I have been told many times by people in the know that the  5.56 ammo dirties up your rifle pretty bad, which is a good reason to not shoot it, in my opinion.  If you want to own a dependable AR-15 within the weight limits you post, check out the DPMS Oracle.  You can't beat the factory service on all their rifles.  Check with Steve Esping for personal service. Here is a link to the Oracle:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/556-ORACLE_ep_135-1.html
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

coyotehunter_1

Quotehere is a link to a Gun Digest article on the 5.56 vs 223 debate.

Chet the article you posted is so full of chit I had to put on my Muck boots before reading. :rolleye: SORRY

Now Rich.....  :confused: ya' know what "they" say...  it's got to be true since it's on the internet. :shrug:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

FOS I know your post was asking about the AR rifle but if you are looking for a better SHTF rifle and want to explained your budget I would suggest the FN SCAR. It beats the AR hands down in every category, It is light, accurate, accepts standard AR mags and is more reliable and robust.

I have run a lot of 5.556 ammo through my .223 bolt guns and an old .223 AK in the 80’s with no dirty or function problems. The 5.556-.233 debate is still one of the biggest wives tails told in the gun world and the debate continues to this day.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Roundman

M&P Sport. 1 in 8" twist barrel. It should shoot about any bullet weight. The thing has iron sights and its cheap(er). It lacks a dust cover and forward assist, but they never get used anyway. This would be my first pick only because of the cost. The gun weight is about 6.5 lbs. Add a good RD scope and sling and you should have a nice light weight rifle.

DD has a good rifle, but add the Daniel Defense rail and the weight goes up. People speak highly of the mid length gas system, but I can't tell the difference.

I also own a Stag model 3. Never had any problems out of it. It shoots great but can't hit a coyote worth a flip. It must get the shakes or something. Take that for what it is worth. Hope what I said helps.

WldWldWest

Hey Fos, sorry just ran across this.
You own one of the top end AR's LWRC is GTG!
A couple you might look at-

Knights Armament
Noveske
Colt
Larue
Daniel Defence
RRA   (Research the WYLDE Chamber) Not gonna steer ya but I dont care for it.
just to name a few.
The reason I like a mid-length to rifle length gas system is most AR platforms ar grossly overgassed and carbine length seems to be the worse. If I were looking for a SHTF rifle I would look for a Chrome lined barrel regardless of the length and chambered in .556 not 223 as we all know you can shoot 223 in a 556 chamber but not advisable to do the opposite as the pressure is much higher in a 556.
A 1/8 twist would be optimum as it will let you run up to a 68gr bullet maybe even a 77gr. its hit or miss on the 77 in a 1/8 twist (No pun intended)

Most of the larger AR companys were swallowed up in one form or another Bushmaster, DPMS, and a few others and some say that quality has suffered With that. Pat was right and I too am a Bushy fan but I would look for an older one from the original Windam Co. The biggest problem from most AR's is an Improperly staked gas key or no staking at all and Bushmaster was notorious for that.

I'm personally not sold on the piston system and prefer the old tried and true direct inpingement system.
My son's AR has had over 10,000 rounds run through it and hasnt so much as smelled any gun oil and I would say half of those have been suppressed (Which will really funk up a rifle) His was put together outta parts from my junk box with a mixture of brands so after his lil experiment I'm not to concerned if I dont clean mine after 20 rounds or so :biggrin:

Goodluck and show us pics when ya get it!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FOsteology

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions gentlemen. I think I'm going to go with a Daniel Defense sometime after the new year.

bigben

I think my next rifle will be a ar. I already own a sks and its stocked with ammo. I was looking at the m and p sport today. And a stag. Both look nice but they all look the same to me.

I'll be looking to this thread for some pointers
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

I've been very happy with my Remington R-15.  Here is a review I posted earlier . . .

http://forum.finsandfur.net/index.php?topic=5656.0

and here for a follow up . . .

http://forum.finsandfur.net/index.php?topic=6141.0

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FOsteology

I suppose I should have taken the plunge a couple weeks back! Finding one, let alone at a decent price, is going to be a tall order.

Frogman

Wal mart here in Parkersburg still had a few in their spinner case rack last evening ??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FOsteology

Took awhile, but have a Daniel Defense M4 V7 .223/5.56 in route along with 10 30rd. PMAGs.  :biggrin: