• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another 'Yerry 12 Point' [3x3x3x3 for you western guys]

Started by studabaka, November 24, 2007, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

I'll have to range it in the morning, but this seemed close to 200 yards with a 300 WM. I like this gun  ;yes; FOsteology. Didn't notice a kick at all in field action and was able to quickly reaquire after the shot. Can't speak to groupings cause it only required one  :biggrin: You can see the entry in the pic. Exit was just a wee bit bigger  :shck: Zero tracking required  :eyebrow:

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Hawks Feather

Stu,

Nice 12 point.  You know how to get them.  It looks like you have the seasoning on it before you even have it cut up.     :innocentwhistle:

Yerry

songdog

DANG WHAT A 12 POINTER...  :congrats:      good job....  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Where's the rack? What'd ya do shoot it off?  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Jim,

You don't need a rack to get points.  Remember that each foot counts as 3 points.  Or they do the way I count.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yeah but thats an Ohio thing and he's in the Carolina's  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Naw, that works for anything east of the Mississippi.

Jerry

HaMeR

QuoteRemember that each foot counts as 3 points.

Wouldn't that classify them as three toed sloth type creatures vs the split hoof animal?? :shrug:  I'da thunk you only got 2pts/hoof. :confused:

:laf: :laf:

Nice doe Stu!! :congrats: :congrats: Looks like you folks get to eat lots of wild game this winter!! :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

When it comes to deer, I'm pretty opportunistic. 4 of the 6 I'm allowed have to be 'antler less'. If bigger ones showed up I'd drop them, but they all look about the same once through the grinder...... though the back strap medallions from the little ones are clearly superior  :eyebrow: I did jerky this year and it's yummy, though it was pretty time consuming to do 20 lbs  :shck: I may just cube and freeze a bunch and do smaller batches over time  :shrug:

I respect the guys that go for the big ones and am impressed by thoughs that consistently get them, but if I opt'd for that approach I fear my freezer would be in sad shape and to me, filling the freezer is the number one goal when it comes to deer.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

CCP

QuoteI did jerky this year and it's yummy,

Man cant wait to try that jerky at the LBL :eyebrow:

Hey Stu when you put the salt out for the deer does it make it hard for them putting it up on the table like that :confused:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

studabaka

:roflmao:

I'll make sure to bring some...... as for the salt  :wo: I think a 'Silver Member' response might be on target  ;yes;

vvarmitr

KySongDog

Nice one, Stu!  I've nailed three this year so far.  No big'uns but some nice meat.

Semp

BTW, a 300 WM might be a bit over gunned for deer.   :biggrin:  Years ago I used to deer hunt with a 300 Weatherby Mark V.  220 gr bullet....decided that was a bit much.   :nono: 

Hawks Feather

Semp,

I think Stu just didn't want to have to track this one.  Now if he can just get one looking at him when he shoots, he won't have to gut it either.    :huh:

Jerry

cb223

Nice job Stu!

Nothing better than a freezer full of venison.
CHAD

studabaka

:roflmao:

Hadn't thought of that Jerry, but you're probably close to right.  :hahaha:

Semp, 220 grains must knock em head over heels  :shck: I'm thinking it is a bit much also, but I just got it and wanted to give it a go on something that wouldn't go up in a puff of fur  :eyebrow: seems like it sure does the job and hits where you aim. I'm hoping to get some invites for some bigger critters that it might be more suitable for, but in the mean time  :innocentwhistle:

Need to go check the coals and start the backstraps  :biggrin: Thanks guys !!

vvarmitr

FOsteology

Way to go Stu! Glad that rifle is working out very well for you. What load are you hunting with?

studabaka

I used those 165 gr federal vital shocks..... picked up some 180 gr, but haven't yet tried them. The 165 seem to be more than enough and accuracy has been fine....course we are talking about a fairly good size target  :biggrin:

FOsteology

Aaahhhh, the 165gr. Nosler Solid Base

If I'm not mistaken, Federal is no longer carrying those as Midway USA had a blow out sale on those not long ago. Save 'em for hunting and use something else for paper!