• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Oppurtunity Knocks......

Started by studabaka, November 29, 2007, 08:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

...... and the Win Mag rocks  :yoyo:

Woke up early today and by the time Jim suggested I should 'go back to bed' I was already on my way to catch a sunrise down by the river and see what I would see. Pulling in I spotted a group of 6 or 8. It was still dark and I didn't see any antlers. They didn't seem real excited about me showing up and headed off toward the back of the farm. I got to my stand and waited for the light, but didn't see anything. About 30 min after shooting light I gave a series of grunts on my Grove Grunter and about 15 minutes later I see a buck coming at a trot. He was probably 300 yards out when I first saw him and I watched as he made a bee line in my direction. At about 100 yards out he stopped and I thought about shooting, but it was a straight on and I really didn't want to screw up. He started trotting again. He would trot for 20 yards or so and then stop and look and then trot again. He verred to my left as he did this and presented me with a broad side shot at about 75 yards. He started to trot again just as I shot and I caught him just a bit farther back then I was aiming for, but he dropped in place. He tried to get up a couple times as I chambered a second round, but it was clear he wasn't going to be able to and he died as I arrived at his side.

He is a 4 x 'something' and pretty good size for around these parts. Got him loaded in the truck and back home by 8am

My buck tags are filled and trapping season starts Saturday  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Hawks Feather

Way to go Stu - nice buck!   :yoyo:    Looks like you finished up just in time for trapping.  I will be looking forward to those pictures next.

Jerry

Troy Walter

good job stu,that is a nice buck.

HaMeR

Nice buck Stu!! I woulda poured the lead to him too!! :wink:  Well actually more like 250grs of copper. :eyebrow: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Look at the decal on the back window of that truck!  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats: :bowingsmilie: :thumb2: ;yes;

Oh hell, there's a deer in that pic too  :doh2:  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Way to go Stu Nice job on the buck!!! :yoyo:

Ya don't have to keep the tailgate down I can tell that is a FORD  :laf:

Oh you were still showing the deer  :laf:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

wv_yoter

Jason

CCP

Good job stu nice buck. Hope you have a good trapping season also.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

cb223

Nice buck Stu! Congrats.

What kind of grunting where you doing?
CHAD

KySongDog

iahntr

Good job Stu !   :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
You been puttin em down !
Scott

studabaka

Thanks guys  :biggrin:

Chad, I did one series of 7/8 fairly soft/calm 'erp's' with a steady even cadence, so just a slight variation on your technique.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Smith

Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

FOsteology

Congrats on a nice buck! Nice looking rifle too, looks familiar!  :wink:

songdog

Nice buck stu.. Looks like he might have eaten some dirt on his way down.. That a way to wait for that perfect broadside shot... congrats   :congrats: