• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Freezer Fodder

Started by studabaka, November 27, 2006, 06:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

I guess this falls under 'Big Game'........

I was pressed for time this evening, but figured I could get a stand in for an hour or so. Jumped in my hunting duds and grabbed the 12 guage and a couple slugs. Walked [briskly] across the road and sat down in a small wooded draw between to harvested bean fields about 50 yards from a barn and coon dog kennel [no one actually lives there] and maybe 400 yards from my house. While I'm always hopeful, I applied my fishing technique [stuff always happens when your thinking about something else] and just watched the squirrels and birds and enjoyed a nice sunset........

Movement about 50 yards out caught my eye..... figured another squirrel, but here comes a little button buck. Must have been bedded in the thick on the edge of the field and walked back and forth in the woods a couple times. Not real big and thinking it was a doe, I drew up on it, but kept looking to see if others were with it.  It disappeared in a clump of cedars for a minute or two and I began to think I just blew an opportunity to get a little venison in the freezer. Started to lower my gun and here he comes back again. Just walking slow. Nose down then nose up. Waited until I had a clear sight on his chest [woods were kinda thick, but not real thick except in patches] and fired. He never went down and bolted down the draw toward the back bean field. I sat there for a couple minutes listening and wondering how a small deer like that would not drop [even if it got back up] after being hit in the chest with a 12 guage slug. Course I also wondered during those couple minutes if I had just plain missed him or a branch had deflected the shot, or....... I'm certainly no great shot, but even for me, missing a shot like that on a broad side, standing still, [albeit small] deer at 50 yards with a shotgun....naaa, couldn't be.

I got up and walked over to where he was standing and saw the blood and all seemed right in the world again. I made a bee line for the pine thicket I last saw him at and just inside the pines he lay in a heap, with still plenty of daylight to field dress and drag him up to where I could get the truck.

So, he ain't big, but he's hanging in my back yard and will soon be filling some of that empty space in my freezer.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Bopeye

Good eating right thar..........congratulations... :congrats:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

fuzz624

The little ones taste the best anyway.Congrats and enjoy the freezer meat.

Mallardsr

Way to go !  :highclap: Makes me want to break out the Italian dressing!

FinsnFur

:laf: Made your bad day, good in a hurry didn't it? Good job Stu.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Good story and good job on the deer. :highclap: I missed your post some how sorry for the delay :sad:

Been eating on some doe meat all week with the boys good eaten
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net