• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

6mm 430 yards

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, November 08, 2019, 11:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

Not the longest shot with the 6mm, not a big deer but a very cool shot.

We were working hard all day hunting at around 5000 feet in a foot of crunchy snow and around 9*.
On a private ranch/farm southeast of town a hundred miles.
We had 4wheelers and full run of the ranch, we could drive anywhere we could, most the time we had to use the hey fields and not the two tracks. Anyway, there is a mix of Mule deer and whitetails and some elk. They had 3 bears walk past the ranch house the night before, but with my bead course, we would never have to worry about seeing them.
We found a zillion does of either and gobs of fork horn mule bucks.
I had one 4 points in the scope but could only see it's head on a ridge top, did not try the shot. We had one very nice 4 point step out of the brush at 200 yards just a matter of inches on the wrong side of the fence. Still hunting hard with the sun just going down we say some white tail deer on the other side of the property, and blasted across to see if we could see horns.
20 does and one smaller buck.
I like to shoot Muleys and the D-I-L loves to shoot white's 
Gave her the option, she declined to say she can come back and 430 yards is farther then she likes to shoot.
She had the 338/378 so it was a very doable shot but nope.
OK.
I do a lot of practice shooting printer sized targets at 400 yards and knew I was tired of chasing 3 pointers around though, I'd give it a try with my 6mm, 80 gr TTS Barnes, 3600 fps.
With the fading light and my poor sunburned old eyes, I had to have them talk me into the deer with the horns. We were behind an old derelict Massey-Ferguson harvester, I tried to use it as a rest.
No just could not get right. I pulled out my sticks that I shoot off of a trillion times, much better. I put the x on its shoulder and razed to near the top and waited for the shot, as it was getting only minutes form end of time. I just would not get straight sideways to me. Finally, in the waning last seconds, it turned mostly sideways.
NICK-O-Time. The six barked, belched out a flame long as the gun.
I here the D-I-L exclaim " that was the coolest thing I have ever seen and one minute to spare"...
I put the glasses on where I shot and I could see a deer laying face in the snow, not a wiggle.
We flew out to it on the 4wheeler to get to work. 5 minutes and we were dragging it back through the snow in the moonlight.
VERY COOL SHOT.

The rest of the story.

Very good thing it just collapsed in its tracks.
Not a drop of blood on the deer, or snow. It would have been untraceable in the mass of other deer tracks.
The bullet hit the shoulder bone on the forward-most point, crushing it, went in and broke 3 ribs hit both lungs, traveled to midway deer then crushed the backbone. Never leaving the animal. We had to look in the daylight at home to see what, where the bullet did, we just knew the deer did not even blink.
Fast little 6mm,80 gr copper bullet never ceases to amaze me.

old is the new young

bambam

Okanagan

GREAT telling, thanks for posting it and taking us along.  I enjoy every hunt story. 

Great shot and a good thing it went right down, under the circumstance. Good on you!  I hear you re the 6's not leaving much for a blood trail sometimes.   

Coyotes-R-Us

I have killed a lot of deer and a few elk with this set up and have NEVER had one take more than two steps before death.
old is the new young

remrogers

Meat for the freezer. Good shooting.

Hawks Feather

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.  That was a great shot.

riverboss

Great shooting!! Looks like some fine eating.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk

Coyotes-R-Us

Well thanks all.
just a quick cuib.
I come from a family of 10 kids.
We eat when there was food and when there was food it was wild something.
After I moved out and started a family I said I would never eat wild again, ever.
But I fave amended that a little but we eat very little wild anything.
I keep one fish IF we will eat it that night. The kids are gone and the boy and his wife eat all most all wild, the daughter and her two girls not so much. We kept the tenderloins off the little DG's whitetail and the boy kept the heart from mine.
We donate all the rest. When the boy's freezers are full we donate all his too.
Last year we gave away 2 full elk 2 deer and an antelope, probably be the same this year.
The birds we get and bear and rabbits we grind up and make what we call Duck Jerkey, and give a lot of it away too.
Someone will get a well-fed alfalfa  whitetail 
old is the new young

riverboss

Nothing wrong with that, I'm not much on deer steaks and roast but I do love me some summer sausage and jerky.

Sent from my Vivo XI using Tapatalk