• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

All Cronk Sunday morning for Possumal

Started by possumal, November 01, 2009, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Had another good Sunday morning, all Cronk this time.  Started my first stand of the morning at first light with my Cronk Little Buffalo Horn howler, followed up with old Rich himself blowing the same howler on my CS-24 (Man, can he make that thing talk yote).  Waited a few minutes and went to Rich doing his "Keychain call" linked up to his Lip Squeak.  A big male came over the rise against the glow of the sky not wasting any time coming to see what was going on in his territory.  I like shooting them a long way off, and he offered me a perfect profile shot at 322 yds., and I planted a 70 grain Blitz King solid into his left shoulder, DRT.  Beautiful coat male, 42 lbs., destined to be another rug for Possumal.

Called in a young female on a later stand using Cronk Lip Squeak with echo.  Stopped her at about 90 yds, and hit her righ in the nose resulting in total destruction of all of her head except her ears.  Small this year pup, no picture of a real gorey scene.  She ended up in the farmer's sinkhole.

Here are a couple of pictures of the exceptionally pretty male:

Rich likes to use his own recorded sounds on his ecaller. I don't blame him. He makes some really great calls, but his ability to speak fluent coyote and critter is even more impressive.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

That's a good looking coyote. WTG  :yoyo:
Looks like we had a good frost at home too.

pitw

Good job.  That is a dandy coyote and cool mornings are a great time to be out.
I say what I think not think what I say.

CCP

Nice looking coyote Possum with nice color. Looks like a nice frosty morning too. That CS24 with the Cronk sounds appear to be doing a good job.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Boy, that IZZZZ some nice colored fur.
42 pounds seriously?......thats going to make a lot of Coyote Helper. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Cool deal PA!! I really like the coyotes with all the black thru it.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

possumal,

322 yards, now that's some good shooting!  WTG!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

Froggie, with no smart arse intended, that is why I use the point blank sight in method.  I want the 300 to 350 yard shots to be much easier.  I think the 75 to 175 yard shots are chip shots, much easier to hold your horizontal crosshair a little low at the distances you know you are anywhere from 2 1/2" high to 3" high, than to judge where to hold the horizontal crosshair on the 300 to 350 yd shot.  Holding dead on at 322, and hitting dead on is relatively easy if you stay cool and squeeze the shot. On most of the more popular flat shooting coyote rifles, i.e. 22-250, 243, 6mm, 25-06, with the right projectile loaded, you will be about 2 1/2" high at 100, about 3" high at 150 to 175, and then it starts coming back in to eventually be dead in at about 275 to 285 yds, and about 2 inches low at 330. Think about which way you prefer to have to judge, and he answer is easy for old Possumal. :wink:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

pitw

You ain't old if you can still see 350 yds :confused:.  I hold right on them at any range and hope my shaking accounts for any windage/droppage. :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Nice looking coyote, Al.   :congrats:

The maximum point blank range method is definitely the way to go for most hunting scenarios.  I don't get much over 100 yards where I hunt (and usually a lot less) but I still sight in for 2 inches high at a 100 yards.

possumal

Semp, that method is fine for shots up to 250 or so, and if that is about the maximum you are apt to get, I'd probably go that way myself.  I will no doubt sight in my upcoming DPMS 223 like that to stay within the parameters of the rifle.  At least half of the country I hunt has the perfect ecotone for coyotes, 3 or 4 kinds of terrain all meeting with everything they need to flourish, and that includes some open pastures, etc., which sometimes offer a 300 to 400 yd. shot with the yote being a lot more sedate than when they come in close.  Those kinds of scenes is what keeps a .243 within my possumpaws most of the time.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

I usually sight in my rifles to be dead on at 200 yards.  That puts them about 1 1/2 high at 100 yards.  Here in WV we seldom get shots further than that.  Possumal, your point blank method sounds like a good way to sight in.  Reguardless of how you sighted in that was some great shooting!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!