• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My LBL Adventure

Started by studabaka, February 06, 2007, 10:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Figuring to beat the bad weather I headed out on the 8hr+ drive at 4:30pm Wednesday. Arrived at the Dover Inn a little after midnight and had the good fortune to meet up with Mallard. Dawn [or is that Ajax  :confused: ] came quick along with an inch or so of fresh snow. We were greeted by many fresh tracks walking the roads as we headed to our first stand and anticipation was high. I settled into my position and a couple minutes later Mallard began calling. Within Two minutes I hear him shoot twice  :shck: As the Kiki kicks in I'm watching hard, but thinking 'man, fur on the ground in the first two minutes. This is going to be a heck of a hunt'...... I was part right. As we broke the stand I spotted Mallard and gave him a  :biggrin: and a thumbs up, but his roll of the eyes and shake of the head told me it hadn't worked out exactly as I had thought. Three dogs had come straight in fast, but they were off to Mallrds right causing him to try a shot lefty which didn't connect.

Needless to say, we were pumped at the prospects, but for the rest of Thursday and Friday we faced nothing but a growing wind and dry stands.

Friday evening we headed up to Wranglers and I moved my gear to the cabin I would be in for the rest of the weekend.... course the first fella I meet getting there is Jimmie, along with SEMP, SilverTip, Lee, Arse, and a few others. Then met my bunk mates at the cabin .... TopDawg, NewDog, and Roundman.... woofed down a venision steak and headed for Jimmie's cabin and the campfire. It was a sight to behold. Not sure of the count, but we was pretty much arse to elbow stuffed in that cabin and in the middle was RiverRunner [your stuck with that moniker with me Jim], his son, and a table full of the sweetest calls, lanyards, DVD's, and other such goodies. I set down right at the table so I can have a good look and to avoid slippin on the floor, which was starting to get a bit greesy do to all that druelling. I got lucky and had my name picked for a real purdy lanyard that I think was made and donated by Loren. It was great to put faces with names and we BS'd around the fire till way too late.

By the time I got up, got coffee on, and the crock pot loaded on Saturday morning, the camp was pretty much empty, so I packed lunch and headed out alone. Hunted some bottom land in the morning and walked a ridgeline in the afternoon. 1st stand no takers. Headed east and made another dry stand. Back tracked past my first set and headed north west down a snow cover trail and 50 yards past my first set I see these pretty fresh cat tracks. I followed them to where it had climbed up on a blowdown and sat next to the uprooted root ball. Can't say for sure, but from that spot there was a clear view to my caller.  :wo:

Third set was along a field surrounded by pine thicket. I thought no takers but in heading back up the trail back to the truck for lunch I find fresh yote tracks 30 - 40 yards behind where I was sitting. If I had my back to the same tree, but looking the other way....... :madd: ........ nothing like a bit of snow to help point out the holes in your setups.

After lunch I headed south along a ridgeline [the one we talked about Mallard]. I figure I went about 4 miles and made maybe 8 stands along the way. On my second to last I had the caller setting at the top of a steep hollow and sat down 50 - 60 yards down it to one side. A few minutes into the stand a grey fox comes and stands 10 paces directly infront of me. His tail is straight back with the black hairs on the top raised. He just stands there staring at the caller and never see's me. After a bit he heads down into the holler and back up the other side.

Sunday morning Roundman and I make a few stands along a ridgeline before we pack up and head for home.

It was an awesome trip and one I hope to do again. Thanks to the guys that got this going and kept it focused on hunting and fellowship. Thanks to Mallard for puttin up with me for two days and showing me the ropes around LBL. Thanks to the folks who donated all them goodies. You'll never fully appreciate the looks on all our faces as our names got picked [or not picked  :eyebrow: ]. Thanks to Jim for running this site which helped bring it all together. I know you keep sayin it ain't nothing, but really..... you seen us...... who'd among us could have done it if you hadn't  :shrug:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Jimmie in Ky

Glad you had a good time Stu, and it was very good to meet you. Don't worry too much about that back door job they did on you. Me and Keekee have been studying on that problem a long time and haven't solved it yet. There willl always be one with a group that will do that and you never know the rest were there either.

I hope to see you next year and every one after that. Jimmie

FinsnFur

Nice read Stu. I'm glad you had a good time.
It was a pleasure to meet you finally, and I got a feeling we'll be hookin up again  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Studabaka, I really enjoyed meeting ya bro.  :biggrin:

Glad you had fun and we'll see ya next year......Lord willing.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Roundman

Stu it was good to meet ya bud. Also thanks for the beaver pelt my kids love it. Hope to see ya next year.

Mallardsr

This is a picture of Stu walking out of the first set Thursday morning. Glad I got to hunt with you Stu. Mabye will stackem next year. RP