• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Oklahoma Fur Sale in Chandler, OK

Started by ouhunter2506, February 08, 2009, 01:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouhunter2506

I was at the Oklahoma Fur sale Sat. and it was very bad day for every trapper!!!  Coons going for $2.00 and Bobcats from $7.50 to the only 1 I saw go for $25. I pulled all my fur and will hold till next year!!  About half way through alot for trapper pulled the cats and loaded them back up. My buddy sold 22 BIG coons and received $37 and thats an average of 1.68 per coon.  It's just wrong. Didn't even pay for the gas to go there!! :doh2: :madd: :madd:  :madd: :madd: :madd:
The buyers never got out of the chairs to look at the fur, they just set their biding. 2 skunks went for .10 cents each and a guy had 10 skunks that went for more than the coons. Go figure that out.  I enjoy trapping and will continue doing it as long as I'm able and hopefully the prices will go back up next year.
Lose your temper and lose a friend, lie and you lose yourself.

NRA Member
ouhunter2506

FinsnFur

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I feel bad for you and a lot of other trappers.
This is going to be a bad year for everything.
I think I would have walked away also.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

this year will definitely wed out the trappers who are just in it for the money.

i think itll be 3-4 yrs befor the market reestablishes itself.
last yers prices were a fluke an di dont loo for them to be at that level no time soon, if ever. just my .02

pitw

I'd say you are awful close on the time line cathryn.  I pulled mine after the first fiasco at nafa this year.
I say what I think not think what I say.

LORDDAL

hate to see prices drop that low I mean a fella isnt tring to get rich but who wants to give em away I am glad I dont take enough fur to matter in my case but I know some of you all take a good bit and put alot of hard work into doing so I for one will be prayin that the prices hurry back up to where they should be
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ouhunter2506

You can see the proof for yourself!!  Everyody should have just took their furs back home and sold Feb. 28 or waited until next year!! That's what I did, I put my furs back in my truck and I might go Feb. 28 or wait for next year. I'm still trapping for cats and will until the end of the month. They shouldn't have taken advantage of the trappers like that. That's just wrong!! :nofgr:

NRA Member
ouhunter2506

OKTrap

Nobody took advantage of the trappers ... as a matter of fact ... the buyers took in pelts out of a feeling of obligation to the trappers ... not due to necessity. All of the buyers lost between 1/3 and 1/2 of what they purchased.

It's just the economy ... and the buyers aren't in control of that ...

That blame goes directly to Wall Street and the idiot who bailed them out ...

ouhunter2506

I understand that the prices are going to be down, but  you can't tell me that when a buyer buys a coon for $1.68 that he is going to turn around and have a hard time selling it for $2.00 so he can make a profit. explain that. I bet he turns 500 percent profit!! All I'm saying is be fair!!  Lets see what the top buyer pay at the Feb. 28th sale. All the trappers are saying is to be fair, we spend all the time out on the trapline, we do all the work running the line, skinning and to watch the buyer not even get up out of there chair to look at furs and to buy for $1.68 for nice big coons and $24 for a very nice spotted bellied cat, that just not right in anybodys book. I understand we are in hard time, but too many time thats just an excuse to get something for nothing instead of doing to right thing by buying for a fair price and making a fair price until things get better to help each other out.

NRA Member
ouhunter2506

OKTrap

I know where you are coming from ... I sold furs at the sale and wasn't too pleased ... but I knew what to expect also from watching the market, the climate, the economy and the NAFA sale.

No one ever said trapping was easy ... and no one ever said trappers would get "Bill Gates" wealth by selling hides.

The choice is to sell or not too ... but to me ... I'd rather have $20 for a cat and pay for fuel ... than nothing at all.

ouhunter2506

Your right, but I know the buyer are not going to lose money or they wouldn't buy thats just common sense. I love to trap and will continue to trap. I was there and saw alot of good fur go for cheep prices and several guys working at the sale told me and others that the top buyer were not there and recommended to not sell the cats and hold tell the Feb. 28  or tell next year. Some of the guys working the event didn't agree with what was going on, but it over with now and we just move on. Some keep trapping and some quit and the ones that hang on just hope for a turn around. I over heard several trapper talk about selling there furs to Canada buyers this year and next year. I'm afraid the sale is going to cause alot of trapper from Oklahoma to start selling to out of state buyers, that will really hurt the instate buyer for years to come.  I Hope not!!

NRA Member
ouhunter2506

ouhunter2506

Just read this one in another post.  Arkansas Fur Sale at Malvern, here is what one guy received for his furs: All green furs sold - 82 Coons  $4.91 Avg., 20 Gray Fox @ $17.50ea. and 4 @ $17. 25ea. Beaver $5.30 Avg. and 5 or 6 skinned wrong,              3 Red Fox @ $10.50ea., Otter 1 @ $28, 1 @ $22 and 1 @ $20, 1 Mink @ $11, 5lbs. Castor @ $17 per lb.

Those prices seem to be fair, thing like this is why you have upset trappers from the Chandler Sale! :confused:

NRA Member
ouhunter2506

okgrltrapper

I have done some research on the results from the February 2, 2013 fur auction in Chandler, Oklahoma and here are the results.

Castors- Max Paid $13.92; Avg Paid $13.35 per lb.
Beavor- GREEN- Max $13.00; Avg $8.21
             STRETCHED- Max $ 13.00; Avg $ 7.94
Bobcat- GREEN- Max $380.00; Avg $183.25
             STRETCHED- Max $310.00; Avg $172.73
Coyote-GREEN- Max $ 21.00; Avg $12.82
            STRETCHED- Max $18.50; Avg $15.00
Gray Fox- GREEN- Max $31.50; Avg $27.14
Muskrat- GREEN- Max & Avg $7.00
Opossum- GREEN- Max $0.50; Avg $0.31
                STRETCHED- Max $1.80; Avg $1.80
Otter- GREEN- Max $100.00; Avg $83.46
Raccoon- GREEN- Max $23.00; Avg $12.24
              STRETCHED- Max $20.00; Avg $6.55
Red Fox- GREEN- Max $33.00; Avg $33.00
Skunk- GREEN- Max $3.00; Avg $1.72
           STRETCHED- Max $2.00; Avg $2.00

I hope this helps you guys about the prices. I am going to the March 2nd sale at Okemah, Oklahoma. I will update you guys on the prices that stuff is bringing at that sale. Happy Trapping to all the fellow trappers on here. GOOD LUCK. Hope you guys are having a good season so far. Our season has not been that great here in Central Oklahoma.