• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gotta couple boat ?'s

Started by bigben, August 12, 2013, 10:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I picked myself up a boat last week as a personal bday present to me.  It has a 50 horse johnson. 16ft long monark. Pro160.

What kind of oil do you guys with boats run? 

Also i want to put led lights in so i can see at night while fishing and was wondering what would be the best color?  Im thinking blue to keep bugs to a minimum but not sure. Also anyone know where to pick up some led lights that are flush mount to a surface? 

Heres a pic.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

I don't have answers to any of your questions, but it is a nice looking boat.

Jerry

KySongDog

I've had a few boats over the years and always ran Mercury Quicksilver oil.  Never had any problems.   But I think any good quality name brand oil would work equally well.    I always winterized and fogged the motor at the end of the season.

As for the lights, I don't have any experience with the type you want. 

bigben

Wwhat did you do to winterize semp?
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Is that a Trihull?
Check out a truck stop for your lights. Sounds like exactly what your looking for.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Quote from: bigben on August 12, 2013, 05:37:28 PM

For winter, fill the tank with gas and a good mix of Sta-Bil. Your tank only builds condensation on the empty part of it. Run the motor long enough to get the good gas running thru it, then while it's still running, unhook the gas line from the engine. Let the engine run completely out of gas, choking it near the end to get all the gas out. Next you can pull the spark plugs and spray the inside of the cylinders with an engine fogger, or put 1 tablespoon of good clean oil in each cylinder. With the plugs out, give it a quick crank of only about 1 second to coat the inside of the cylinders then screw the plugs back in.
Next, change the oil in your lower unit. If it has gotten any water in it over the summer it could freeze, expand, and crack the housing. There is a screw plug at the bottom of the lower unit and another one about 12" higher. Take them both out to drain it. When filling it back up, squirt the oil in the bottom hole until it runs out the top hole and put the plugs back in. It's easier to put the top plug in 1st while you are still squirting oil pressure in the bottom hole, then quickly put the bottom one back in.
Make sure there is no water in your livewell or bilge pump tanks and lines. They will freeze and crack also. Which can cause a serious leak next spring.
Charge your batteries and if possible, keep them inside out of the cold over the winter. Check the charge on them about once a month and recharge if needed.
Your trailer wheel bearings also get water in them over the summer. Fall is a good time to clean and repack those also.
As far as lights, I've used the Sea-Sence (I think that's the brand name) LED lights they sell at Wal-Mart. I've got the white ones that draw bugs. But they come in other colors. They are bright.
I use the Pennzoil 2 cycle  oil in my engine and Pennzoil Marine Lube in my lower unit.
Hope this helps you some. Welcome to the black hole of boat ownership. :biggrin:

bigben

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 12, 2013, 05:52:08 PM
Is that a Trihull?
Check out a truck stop for your lights. Sounds like exactly what your looking for.

No its a semi v bottom.

Thanks weedwalker

weedwalker

Nice boat too Ben. You should get many years of use of it. :yoyo:

weedwalker

If you start it at home with the garden hose, don't rev the motor up. The hose does not supply water fast enough to the water pump at higher RPMs and you could damage the impeller in the pump. But you can use it to run it out of gas. It may run as long as 10 minutes before it dies out.
Next spring (wait till then) dump a can of Sea-Foam in the gas tank. It will clean up any gumming over the winter.

KySongDog

Quote from: bigben on August 12, 2013, 05:37:28 PM

What Weedwalker said.   :laf:

Also, be sure to pull the drain plug at the bottom of the stern of the boat even if you use a boat cover. (which you should)

bigben

Serious question here. I plan on fishing all threw the winter. I guess i should still check fluids and make sure stuffs drained good but should i still mess with doing the cylinders

weedwalker

Quote from: bigben on August 12, 2013, 07:42:33 PM
Serious question here. I plan on fishing all threw the winter. I guess i should still check fluids and make sure stuffs drained good but should i still mess with doing the cylinders

If you're gonna use it all year, no you don't have to lube the cylinders. If it's going to be setting for 3 months or longer I would though.
Just keep Sta-Bil in the gas, and unplug the gas line to run it dry at the ramp when you are pulling it out of the water, just in case it's a while before you go again.
When you pull up into the parking lot let your motor hang straight down so all the water drains out good before tilting it up for travel.
Leave the drain plug out as Semp said.
When you get home, let your motor hang straight down so water doesn't collect in thru your prop exhaust.

bigben

Well it'll be in a pole building and covered so that'll help

weedwalker

Your batteries will last longer too if you charge them as soon as you get home.
A 2 bank on-board charger is nice to have. Just plug it in when you get home.

bigben

Thanks fellas. I really like the boat.  I found the sea sense ones that are waterproof on the net. Prob gonna order a couple n see how they look. Im still tidying up a few things yet. The gas gauge doesnt work right now and that bugs me the navigation lights have fell victim to corrosion so im hoping to replace them with led ones.  I figured the bilge pump out as well as the live well and put on the trolling motor again.  Only major thing i need yet is to get a rod rack on the back for sum catfishing and i'll be set for now.

Jeb

Wow looks a lot like my last boat. Hey, you know the 2 happiest days in a mans life ? The day he bought a boat and the day he sold his boat. BOAT= Bring Out Another Thousand haha. Nice looking boat ya got there, hope you get as much enjoyment I did. Good luck.  Jeb

KySongDog

Quote from: Jeb on August 13, 2013, 06:33:38 PM
Hey, you know the 2 happiest days in a mans life ? The day he bought a boat and the day he sold his boat.

One rediscovers the joy of bank fishing.    :eyebrownod:

bigben

Bank fishing sux unless there is a case o beer a fire n some friends to enjoy the night. The river here is over a mile wide at times and most of the time not more then a few feet deep. So bank fishing doesnt work. Boat is easier to get out. To be honest this boat was pretty much a turn key deal. Other then fixing a few little things like wiring. And addin a few minor things i havent added any money yet to the initial cost of the boat. Still very pleased.

bigben

Boats really coming together. Got all the lights working. The livewell and bilge are working again. And i got some rod holders setup now for the back deck. Hopin to be out this weekend fishing out of it for cats. Gonna take it for bait fri to test some things that werent working before.

Pic of the rod holders

coyote101

Looks like you got a great little boat Ben.  :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing