• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Need rod repair advice: loose reel seat

Started by Okanagan, August 13, 2014, 02:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The reel seat came loose on my 10.5 foot sockeye rod while fishing.  It turns around the rod shaft.  I am ept enough to manage it while fishing but it is annoying. 

Any advice on how to fix it without losing fishing time?  I.e. I need to repair it in one overnight.

I am thinking about drilling a hole or two in the reel seat to give me access to the space underneath it between seat and rod, and then use a syringe to fill that space with epoxy.   Good idea or bad idea?  If I squirt in glue, should I use epoxy or?

Only the reel seat is loose.  The long cork handle section from the reel seat to the butt is glued solidly, as is the cork section above the reel seat.  Only the reel seat turns.

I don't want to try to remove the handle, slide the reel seat off and then re-glue all.  If that is what it takes I will wait till after fishing season and take it to an excellent local rod and reel repair shop:  Mike's Reel Repair (Mike gets international business, long wait times this time of year.)

Dave

I have a few rods with sliding rings which hold on the reel on the cork.  They have a tendency to come loose in time. Then it's only a matter of pushing the ring back up tight towards the foot of the reel til it becomes snug again. It's sort of a pain, so I just electrical tape the reel on once it is in place. It's sort of married to the rod, but I know I don't switch reels and rods unless something breaks. Just an idea to get you through the season and avoid possibly damaging the rod.

FinsnFur

Small hose clamp. Works like a charm. Bodda bing...bodda boo...your back on the water. :eyebrownod: I've done it many times.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Good suggestions but wrong problem.   :biggrin: I'm not explaining it well.  :confused:

The reel is screwed down tight into/onto the reel seat and that marriage is working as intended.    It is the entire section of handle/reel seat that rotates around the rod.  The reel isn't loose from where it is supposed to fit, but the fitting itself rotates around the rod axis.  I'm too tired to mess with it tonight but will try to take a pic tomorrow.  Not easy to explain in words.    Caught a large sockeye this evening with it so it is working.

I don't think the hose clamp will improve anything unless it was constricted so tightly that it crushed the cylinder of composite material that is the reel seat onto the core of the rod.

FinsnFur

I think I see what your saying and now I'm thinking some sort of epoxy might be best but...now time has elapsed and your looking at drying time on top of it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

You know, I fished with it this morning, caught some salmon, and am getting used to holding the reel in line with the line guides/eyes.  I may wait to repair till the end of fishing season! 

First pic:  the whole handle of the rod, reel seat between two sections of cork handle. Sorry, photo is upside down but that is virtually irrelevant to show rod handle.   :huh:

Close up of reel seat.  This is what spins or turns around the rod (more pics on that to follow).  The section from the gold ring on one end to the end of the threaded section on the other end all turns/rotates as one unit.  It turns like a wheel or bearing on an axle, with rod as axle.  The cork sections do not turn.

With reel solidly in reel seat and line aligned with rod guides, as the world is suppposed to be.

In the pic below, note that the yellow fishing line comes off of the reel and goes around the rod before going into the first guide.  I did that wrap by simply turning the reel in the reel seat around once.  It goes round and round if you want. 

I have adapted to holding the reel in line with the guides while casting and retrieving.  The reel is solidly in the reel seat which it fits.  I am sure that the rod itself runs through the handle all the way to the butt of the rod.  The reel seat and handle are glued to it somehow and the reel seat section came unglued, allowing the cylindrical reel seat to turn like an outer sleeve on the inner rod.   How to re-glue without taking off the reel seat/sleeve is what I'm after.  I suspect that a rod repair shop will remove the lower cork handle, re-glue the reel seat and replace the cork handle. 

The cork handles are glued solidly and I don't want to get into tearing them up. 

If only this were the biggest problem in life!   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Mannnn I'd think some decent epoxy would fix that thing right up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

riverboss

I had this happen once i used windshield urethane to glue it mine didnt have a cork handle. The urethane is very messy so you must tape up everything around it and have plenty paper towels ready it stays flexable enough that it wont crack and holds like a snapping turtle. If youve ever tryed to remove a auto windshield you know what i mean it is sold by the caulking tube at auto parts stores of you get in on there were ot needs to be it will never come.loose.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Quote from: riverboss on August 15, 2014, 06:11:46 AM
I had this happen once i used windshield urethane to glue it mine didnt have a cork handle. The urethane is very messy so you must tape up everything around it and have plenty paper towels ready it stays flexable enough that it wont crack and holds like a snapping turtle. If youve ever tryed to remove a auto windshield you know what i mean it is sold by the caulking tube at auto parts stores of you get in on there were ot needs to be it will never come.loose.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Good suggestion.  It needs to stay flexible since the rod bends all the way through the handle when it is under heavy pressure.  As you say, the second problem is getting the glue into where it is needed.

I gotta head down to the States in an hour or two and will be gone a few days.  Will see if I can stop by a rod repair place and ask their advice. 

Gotta go to a wedding and then visit relatives who will be in the area.  Why would anyone schedule a wedding in the middle of sockeye season???!!!   :doh2: :biggrin:

Dale

a few holes and some quick drying epoxy will fix it up good...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

FinsnFur

Yep, skip the wedding and drill some holes in it for the epoxy :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers