• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lion

Started by JohnP, January 18, 2010, 05:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

This picture was taken several years ago but since I am very limited on my outdoor activities (calling) I decided to relive some of my outdoor experiences. 

I decided to climb the mountain and do some pre-season scouting for deer and javelina.  Left the rifle at home and strapped on the 1911.  Packed a small lunch, binoculars and camera and took off up the hillside. I would stop every now and then and scan the opposite ridge and ravine in hopes of finding another record book buck.  During the course of the morning not one buck or doe did I spot and no javelina either.  About noon I decided to take a break have lunch and then head back home.  Set up the tripod and mounted the binoc's.  Every now and then while eating I would look across the ravine but could not find any sign of life, which was strange because this area is normally over run with deer.  A view of the hillside I was sitting on.

Decided I had wasted the morning so started to gather up my pack, camera, binoc and start for home.  Just as I was getting ready to put on my pack I noticed some movement about 50 yards below me.  When I put the glass on him I couldn't believe what I was seeing, not that we haven't seen lions up there in the past because we had.  But how did I get there without him seeing me and run off or how did he get there without me seeing him come in.  I sat there and watched for the longest time before I realized I hadn't snapped a picture yet.  Got the camera in focus and snapped the picture, in an instant he was up and down into the ravine.  I never saw him come up the other side so my assumption was he used the narrow bottom as an escape route.  This is one of the biggest lions I have seen out here and would estimate his weight at well over 100 pounds. 

I'll have a few more lion stories that I'll share with ya later if interested. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

alscalls

You Know we are interested ...... :eyebrownod:   GREAT SHOT!!!!    :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Perty Kitty. :huh:

50 yards is to close when a 1911 is all ya got. Not sure if that would stop him or just torque him off. :eyebrow:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Those paws look huge to me.  :shock2:    That is a great picture!! 

pitw

Quote from: slagmaker on January 18, 2010, 05:29:36 PM
Not sure if that would stop him or just torque him off. :eyebrow:

Slag I got this ittty bitty notion that a 1911 in Johns hand would have been better than a .416 Rigby in mine :wo:.  Great pic John and when I don't want a story is a week after I'm gone. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Cool pic & story John!! Thanks for sharing!!  :biggrin:

I like that "What the hell are you looking at??" stare you're getting.   :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

I tried to sell that picture to several magazines and one clearing house, I think that's the right word.  The magazines turned me down, one never even had the decency to reply.  The clearing house wanted to buy it for next to nothing and I had to relinquish all rights to it.  

iahntr

Wow John, that's a catch !! Really cool picture.
That is crazy you two were that close,
and neither of you noticed each other.   :eyebrownod:
Please feel free to share all the stories and pics ya want. They're
much appreciated.
Scott

slagmaker

Best way to sell pics like that is enlarge them and Matte and frame it then sell it.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Wow, I'd have been wondering how I was gonna get out of there without becoming lunch.
That pic turned out beautiful too. Nice zoom in. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

OMG .... That is AWESOME!!!  That's something I'd love to hunt... very cool story John.  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

coyote101

Great picture. WOW!  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

msmith

Great pictures JohnP. Do you mind if I use the lion as my desk top for a while?
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

GunDog

Awesome story and pictures Mr John. Thanks for sharing .... I for one would like to here more!  :wink:

JohnP

They die pretty easy, not much gun is needed.  I killed my first one with a .223 then everyone told me it wasn't enough gun so I killed my second one with my 22-250.  I have a rancher friend who calls me every time he finds a lion killed cow and I'll go over and call off it.  Problem is he, like most ranchers or farmers can't afford to lose to many head of stock so if I can't call it in the first day he calls another friend of his who runs hounds.  I have yet to call one in off one of his cows but I have called a few in.  Their range is so vast that you got to be lucky to call one in or find a fresh deer kill and call off it.  Not an easy animal to hunt without dogs. Very efficient killers of game and stock, it's been estimated that they kill a deer every 7 to 10 days.  

JohnP

Quote from: msmith on January 18, 2010, 09:32:46 PM
Great pictures JohnP. Do you mind if I use the lion as my desk top for a while?

Feel free to use it as you see fit.

Silencer

Wow !!!  outstanding photo !!!   :yoyo: :congrats:  that cat is HUGE !!!! 

HuntnCarve

That's a great photo John!  And the story sets the stage like only you can.. :highclap:

Dave

GReat picture and amazing story. 
Love to read more stories!

bambam

That's an awesome pic. I lion hunted 3 times in Arizona but never got one.