• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

learning the camera

Started by Silencer, January 19, 2010, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Quote from: msmith on January 23, 2010, 06:11:31 PM
  Perhaps slag can clue us in a little more at LBL.  :biggrin:

Little does he know about how often I'm changing the topic of conversation in our cabin :eyebrow:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Don't feel bad or intimidated. Prior to last week it was ALL Egyptian hieroglyphics to me too!  :laf:

I'm slowly learning. I think once I have my new SLR in hand my learning curve will improve and more will fall into place and make more sense.

FOsteology

For a point and shoot camera for hunting, I've really enjoyed my Olympus Stylus 1030SW.

Some cool features that make it excellent for the outdoors man:

Shock Proof: Designed to withstand a 6.6-foot drop, bump or other mishap.
Waterproof: Down to 33 feet! You can take pictures underwater.
Freezeproof: Down to -10c/14f 
Crush Proof: Designed to withstand up to 220 pounds of pressure.

msmith

Yeah, but you have an advantage. At least you can spell hieroglyphics.  :laf: I guess it's like anything. You start getting into it and you pick up the terminology and the basics as you research.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

slagmaker

If your getting a DSLR dont forget that the fact that it is digital will multiply your focal length by 1.5 so if you have a lens that is 14mm at its lowest fp the camera will make it 21mm same on the other end. One and a half magnifacations on DSLR.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

Yes, learned that was something else to keep in mind. 1.6, 1.3 crop and FF

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FOsteology on January 23, 2010, 09:23:46 PM
Yes, learned that was something else to keep in mind. 1.6, 1.3 crop and FF

Isn't it fun.  I recently got a 28-135 (prime, not L) and am already thinking that it might be too much on the lower end.  Trying to get more of the family in the picture is the problem.  Being able to get up to 135 on the lens is nice for faces.

Jerry

FinsnFur

I hate to say this...but you guys are feekin me out. What in the SamHill are you talking about, and is the spell checker broke or something? :doh2: :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

I was poking around B&H looking at their prices for lenses..... now, I knew Canon L lenses were expensive. But just saw B&H has a USED 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM for a mere $120,000.00  :shock2:

pitw

Quote from: FOsteology on January 23, 2010, 10:03:28 PM
I was poking around B&H looking at their prices for lenses..... now, I knew Canon L lenses were expensive. But just saw B&H has a USED 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM for a mere $120,000.00  :shock2:

Did you get two :wo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FOsteology

Heck.... I couldn't afford one. Probably couldn't even afford to rent one for five minutes.  :roflmao:

Hawks Feather

Fos,

Let me know when you buy that so I can take it off my "watch" list.  For that sized lens to have a 5.6 is rather remarkable.  Do you think it would work well for portrait work - like from several blocks away?  B&H seems to have about the best prices.  Sometimes there is someone else that will have a slightly better price, but then have a handling charge which makes it higher than the B&H price.  Have you figured out what tripod you are getting for the 1200?

Jerry

slagmaker

KEH is also a good one for getting photo equipment. They have good prices as well.

slagmaker

best tripod out there is Bogen. got a 3012 and I love it. Little heavy but well worth it. I can do astral photography with it just by adding a sand bag.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Nah, no tripod. I mean heck, it only weighs 35 or 36 pounds.... :innocentwhistle:

I bet the lens would be good for setting ants on fire. Even at night with a quarter moon!  :roflmao:

FOsteology

Ok, here's what I've managed to pick up on P.O.T.N. at good prices to get me started....

Canon EOS 40D (less than 15K actuations) with BG-E2n and an extra Canon battery
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Need to decide on a general use lens. Thinking a faster lens for indoor (family, school, etc.). The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L seems to fit the bill, but geez it's a BRICK! Doesn't have IS either....

The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS is a contender..... but I hear that it performs much better on a FF. Plus, with it being a f/4 , I think I should look for a faster lens.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM seems to be the best compromise (not to mention tailor made for a crop camera...much better focal range)..... however, the lens is pretty costly for being a non-L lens. I'm think spending the small (relatively speaking) price increase to the 24-70L makes more sense.  :confused:

I suppose for me, it's all head games and second guessing at this point!  :laf:

Hawks Feather

Fos,

If you start looking at flash units you might as well get the 580 and be done.  I have the 430 and also the 580 and the 430 is usually in the bag. 

Your camera and lens look like new so you will be having a good time with them. 

As for a general indoor shooting lens the 17-55 looks really good. 

Slag,

I have the Manfrotto/Bogen 3012 legs and they are like a tank and don't move.  If I were a hiker I think I would be looking at the carbon.

Jim,

You probably already know more about photography than the three of us put together.  After all you are the leader of the GEEK squad.

Jerry

HaMeR

QuoteJim,

You probably already know more about photography than the three of us put together.  After all you are the leader of the GEEK squad.

Jerry

:doh2:  The GEEK Squad Pro Staff!!  :rolleye:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Wow!   We should have lots of good pictures from LBL!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!