• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

anything like this ever happen to you?

Started by 5 SHOTS, June 14, 2009, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 SHOTS

I had a close call today. It is a little sketchy, but I will try to describe it exactly as it happened.
                  I am a truck driver in the oilfield. I have been carrying a small closed reed call in my pocket for those times when I'm loading and have some time to waste.

Today was just such a day. I decided to walk to the edge of the location and try to call a coyote. I put the call to my lips, blew and before I finished the first painful, scared, rabbit scream there was an explosion of movement about 20 or 30 yards in front of me. When something like this happens your first instinct is to determine possible danger. To do this you first must identify the animal then you must identify it's reaction, is it preparing to fight or flee. This animal was definitely moving toward me. I could tell it was grey. Meanwhile the animal had accelerated to nearly supersonic speed. I had yet to identify the animal but my mind had begun to speculate. Was it a wolf, or maybe a mountain lion, no, mountain lions are not grey, a bear, no, unless a black bear and a polar bear had some mutant grey offspring and it decided to migrate to a warmer climate,  or even a T rex, what color was a T rex? I have never heard of a grey T rex sighting locally, but any T rex in his right mind wouldn't leave any witnesses to report on his whereabouts and possibly warn any future food supply.

While this was running through my mind my sub conscience instincts began to prepare my body for a fight. A body perfectly toned by 40 years of diligently eating only the finest, gas station sandwiches, McDonald's, Burger King, etc. I was also, during those years of preparing my body, very careful to avoid all movement that might be mistaken for exercise, so as to be sure not to waste a single calorie which might be needed in some future unforeseen emergency (such as this). Adrenaline began to flow and muscles began to tense like cables. Reflexes honed by years of horror films prepared for action. At the same time an idle thought occurred to me, if, on the off chance I should lose this impending fight to the death, would the coroner, or forensics team, (or anyone for that matter) be able to tell from my remains what position I was in at the moment of death? Would the digestive tract remove all evidence? Would they be able to tell if I had gone down fighting like a super hero, or mearly assumed the fetal position and cried like a little girl? Would they tell anyone?

About this time I felt a massive impact to my chest. Had another (as yet undetected) wolf, lion, mutant bear, T rex hybrid launched itself at me? Connecting with my chest? I tore my eyes from the first threat to steal a peek at the newest one. I fully expected to see another wolf, lion, mutant bear, T rex hybrid lying at my feet with a crushed skull, broken neck or at the very least unconscious from the impact. There was nothing there! Had the impact with my well fortified chest thrown the animal into the next county? Had the first animal accelerated beyond the speed of light and thereby disrupted the space time continuum so it could hit me while still appearing 10 or 15 yards away? Not likely.

As this passed through my mind, the first threat was closing the gap. It had reached the 10 foot mark, and began to slow, which gave me more time to assess threat number two. I had never felt an impact quite like this before. There was no equal and opposite reaction. I had not been pushed back at all! Then it happened again and I was ready. This time I realised the impact wasn't an impact at all, mearly my adrenalin gorged heart doing it's best to circulate the vast amount of adrenalin throughout my body.

Now that I had conquered threat number two I focused my mind on the first threat once again. I noticed the wolf, mt. lion, mutant bear, T rex had slowed considerably. It stopped at a hole for just a second before entering. I have seen the reaction of a mother when she hears her offspring scream in pain or terror, she will assess the situation and run to aid the distressed offspring. I also know that the animal world is quite similar. I now know if a person were to stand a few feet from a den and make a rabbit distress sound, the mother jack rabbit will react pretty much the same!  :whew:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Great story!  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
I needed that.
Well written and FUNNY FUNNY
I am glad you did not get killed that would not look good in the paper.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Most excellent story :yoyo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :laf:  I have felt the same emotions and the one thing I've found is that being on top of the food chain doesn't stop running from being the first thought through the mind sometimes.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Good gahd. I peed a little bit. :roflmao:

Ya done good 5shots, ya done good :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Great story. :congrats: :roflmao:  :roflmao: :roflmao:

KySongDog

:roflmao:  :roflmao:   That's a good one!  You oughta publish that in a magazine!   :roflmao:

Carolina Coyote

golfertrout

alscalls

I hope ya dont mind I printed that one and you credit at the end......GOOD ONE!...... :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Tikaani

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao: Nuttier than a squirrel turd is all I can say bout that!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

I think when you have some time (rather than calling) you should write.  Experiences like this one need to be shared with Field and Stream and many other magazines.

Jerry

iahntr

:laf: :laf:  :roflmao: :roflmao:  Good one !!

Here I thought it might be one of Nasty's turkey's,
they think they're on the top of the food chain there.  :eyebrownod:
Scott

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Semp on June 15, 2009, 05:57:15 AM
:roflmao:  :roflmao:   That's a good one!  You oughta publish that in a magazine!   :roflmao:

I have spend most of the day thinking of publishing. I have concluded that it would not be in my best interest. Why the health issues alone! If I publish, the next thing you know they would want more, all those calories I have so carefully saved would soon be used up typing stories. Then, there are the fans who would surely be hanging around....I would be forced to run to the mail box to collect my fan mail and bags of money from the publishers. Carrying bags of fan mail and money while running is sure to cause back problems requiring medication to ease the pain. Then after some time has passed, someone would write a newer and better story and my fans and publishers would forget that I even exist. The deafening quiet would be great for a while, but would soon turn to boredom and lonesomeness, this would most definitely drive me to alcohol and drugs, a short step from the pain medication. In the end I would have spent the bags of money on drugs and alcohol, leaving no other choice but to resort to begging total strangers to let me do unmentionable acts to support my habits, ending with me lying face down in the gutter looking forward to a pauper burial

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

5 SHOTS

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 15, 2009, 05:25:55 AM
Good gahd. I peed a little bit. :roflmao:

I removed that part of the story (amongst others) due to time and size restrictions.  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Well at least we can say that we knew you for your five minutes of fame - without the fortune.  I can see your point in that with all the groupies that would be with you you would only have to have one of them with one of "those" diseases and you would end up in the gutter even sooner.

Jerry

5 SHOTS

Coon hunter

That was funny . But I did have a coyote sneak up on Me while Turkey hunting one tome and it lunged at me . all I had time to do was fire to hopefully scare it away.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

mandi48

I am not a murderer, i am a hunter

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!