• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

gardening question

Started by bambam, June 07, 2019, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

OK you master gardeners, I have a question for you. For the last several years something has been digging up my corn seed , sometimes the same day I plant it , but usually within just a few days. Also digging up the corn shortly after it sprouts . The holes are about the size of a quarter. Sometimes the seed is eaten , sometimes not . If the sprouts are dug up , same thing, sometimes the seed is eaten sometimes not.

I have tried everything ; spray , seven dust, coffee grounds , row covers, even got desperate this year and tried moth balls. Nothing works .

Is it moles , voles , chipmunks ? I don't see any mole hills but we do have lots of voles and chipmunks.

They don't touch any other seed , not the beans, cucumbers, squash, nothing else at all.

Thanks in advance for your help .

nastygunz

Crows!..trail camera?.. I know up here the crows raise hell on the freshly planted corn fields.

https://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/corn-damage-by-crows/

Pulling up the corn seed and the seedlings is exactly what the black bandits do.

nastygunz

Wild turkeys will also tear up your corn, This was actually damage from a wild turkey that uprooted the seedling corn plant to feed on the corn seed. While turkey injury on seedling corn is unusual, bird damage from blackbirds and crows unfortunately isn’t.

bambam

I thought it was birds too but then it happened under the row covers.

JohnP

Out here we have Curved Bill Thrasher's.  They play havoc on all things planted and the picture nasty posted is the same out here.  If you have Thrasher's in your area they very well may be the culprit. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs