• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

smoked butts

Started by bigben, February 09, 2010, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I have been messing around with my fathers smoker for a bit.  I decided to get a better version of my fathers and hated the fact that the charcoal part of it was inconsistent.  I was always chasing the temp and got tired of messing with it.  So I searched for a propane conversion for my smoker.  I figured I could make one but if I could find one for cheap I was buying it.  I was checking out a smoking meat forum and seen where there was a company that made a gas burner for my smoker.  I figured at least see what it entailed.  after looking at it I figured there was no way I could make one as cheap as buying one and broke down and ordered one.  it came yesterday via fedex.  I assembled it and got two boston butts out.  Rubbed em down with some dry rub and loaded the smoker up with some hickory wood chips.  and let the smoke do its magic.  I loaded the butts on the smoker at 6:30 and let them smoke till they hit 160 internal temp.  then I wrapped in foil and continued cooking till it hit 195ish.  it was around midnight when they hit this temp.  I brought them inside and wrapped em in a towel and stuck it in a cooler to rest till 4 when I was planning on getting up.  I walked out of the kitchen and sat down on my recliner kicked back and finished watching my movie.  I woke up at 5 staring at a blue screen.  dang over slept.  I got up pulled the butts apart and put in a gallon baggie.  I brought it to work for the guys to try out.  I must say that I was worried you wouldn't get the same flavor with gas as you would a conventional charcoal smoker.  well I was wrong.  there was a nice pink smoke ring around the outside of the meat and the meat had a great smoke flavor. 

the blackish red stuff that looks like blood is actually brown sugar in the rub caramelizing and running into the nooks.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Silencer

man does that look tasty !!!  :yoyo: